MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Profiled (laser cut) & bent steel plate
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 30 December 2008, 07:59
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
Laser Cut kits with bending done in Australia?

Has anybody sourced the laser kit and bending already done in Australia?

I know it costs a lot to ship the kit into Australia which makes it prohibitive. So I was wondering if anybody has found a good source in Australia.
Old Tue 30 December 2008, 11:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
See:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1218
Old Wed 31 December 2008, 21:01
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Hi Paul and other Australian builders,

I got my parts done in Adelaide by Sonnex Laser.

They had the best price of all quotes received. The quality of the cutting and bending was good. There were a few bends that were not exactly correct but this caused no major issues. After I received the parts I got a quote from a Victorian company that was also quite reasonable they were just a week too late replying

I will post the name of that company once I am back at work as I can not remember exactly who it was.

Cheers and look forward to some more Australian builds.

Jayson.
Old Mon 16 March 2009, 06:01
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hi Jayson,

Can i ask what you paid for all the bits cut and bent from Sonnex? I live in Adelaide i'm trying to decide whether to do a upgrade to my existing DIY router, or bite the bullet and go with a MechMate. They look so great and strudy. Not having to buy linear rails is very attractive!

So if you don't mind, i'd love to know how much it cost you to go through Sonnex as i'd go with them too as they're local to me.

Cheers, an thanks for the inspiration!
Old Thu 16 April 2009, 22:37
Spadman
Just call me: Dean

Melbourne
Australia
Jayson,

I've had an on-again off-again relationship with CNC for a few years now, a great desire to build but always run into supply issues or metric/imperial conversion problems for parts... until now.

The MechMate looks great, more than what I want, but will do everything I need.

I was wondering if you had the Victorian laser cutter/bender details handy?

I'm based in Hoppers Crossing and have a nice empty 6m x 9m shed to partially fill... and the MechMate looks like a good space filler.

Dean.
Old Fri 17 April 2009, 05:24
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
Dean,

Jayson posted a link to Sonnex Laser in post #3. They did mine as well. But they are in Adelaide. You can email them the dxf's and they'll send you a quote. They were very quick to reply, i got a quote the same day. Not sure if jayson arranged shipping himself or if they did it (i picked mine up).
Old Sun 19 April 2009, 02:49
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Hi Dean,

as MattyZee has stated, I got my parts made in Adelaide, but I did receive a quote from a company in Ballarat that was similar in cost (but came 2 weeks late) I will see if I can find it tomorrow and post the company name.
I organised my own freight from Adelaide as we have a few shipping contracts where I work.
The Mechmate is well worth building.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Mon 20 April 2009, 04:57
skippy

Queensland
Australia
I'm still looking as well. It's on the back burner now but if someone come up with a good price and reasonable shipping to Brisbane I be in getting a kit as well.

But I been following Gerald recommendation of starting the MechMate build in the area of your experience as I'm a Electrical Engineer (Electronics) I was starting with the kitchen table project.

Got most of the local purchase parts and switch's, senors and terminal blocks so far still look of a reasonable priced cabinet to house them in. Plus waiting for Australia dollar to hopefully for it to recover before getting the motors and the geckos etc from overseas.

Regards

Paul
Old Mon 20 April 2009, 05:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
. . . . . Gerald recommendation of starting the MechMate build in the area of your experience . . . .
I thought it was the other way around, or have I been caught out telling lies??
Old Mon 20 April 2009, 05:47
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Gerald

I sure that's what I read that in one of the many posts on this site but I maybe wrong their is so much information on this great site. But it stands to reason that way the MechMate is started in a way that you know what you are doing and now that you have started it you have to finish it.:
Old Mon 20 April 2009, 06:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
...or, get the difficult bit out of the way and know that the rest will be easy!
Old Mon 20 April 2009, 06:45
Spadman
Just call me: Dean

Melbourne
Australia
Jayson,

The name of that company would be great, Ballarat is only a 45 minute drive for me. I'm sure shipping from Adelaide is not cheap as I expect these parts have some heft to them.

Thanks.
Old Sun 26 April 2009, 18:40
stan stuart
Just call me: stan

brisbane
Australia
Bones from Brisbane
I am looking at building a mechmate as well and would be interested in the quotation.
Just looking at all aspects at this stage including programing
Old Fri 03 July 2009, 04:19
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
Just thought i'd add a note to this thread for any new Aussies looking for the laser cut parts. Rick (rnixon) has the best price i've seen in Australia (see here) and the parts look great!
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 16:52
Benderart
Just call me: Mick

Murwillumbah, NSW
Australia
Maybe plasma...????

I've viewed the laser cut drawings and, think I may be able to get very close tolerance on my plasma table.
Using fine cut consumables, I can usually get very good results on the plate thicknesses used.
Certainly worth a try before going laser although that said, I have a company just round the corner who do metal stamping, laser cutting and folding so, they may be the better option.
Old Wed 12 December 2018, 18:56
gazey
Just call me: Gazey

Hobart
Australia
Looking to build a 2400x1200 plasma cutting machine.
I'm in Hobart, can anyone tell me where I can buy laser cut and bent parts in Oz.
Any help appreciated.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read