MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 25 June 2012, 23:53
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
How to start?

So where do I start if I am interested in getting the pieces for this machine?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 02:05
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chris,

Have you decided what size you want to build? What you want the table to look like? What kind of motors you want to use? Details like that. Have you read some of the build threads of people that have machines running?

Some people start by building the table first. Others by starting the kitchen project.

Just pick a spot and jump in. You have to find a source for the laser parts and you have to start compiling a list of what you are going to need so you know what to order.

I forgot, you need a set of plans!

Good luck, now start building.
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 05:07
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Hi Chris,
If you're like me you've scoured the internet for suitable machines and have settled on the MechMate (good decision). Now you've spent a while reading the forum and have decided to download the plans.

Then I put out a call on the forum to find people in my area and a source of the laser cut parts. The local contacts are a valuable source of information about suppliers and cost of materials locally.

I (and all the other MM builders I've had contact with) spent a lot of time designing the table (size, steel thickness, etc) and assembling a list of steel, bolts, power box electrics and electronics). Once you have the list, then you get to go shopping!
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 05:34
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
How about reading all the sticky threads 1st.
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 12:07
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Well, I wanted to know, a couple things first. Can I make this a closed loop system? How much stuff do i need to get cut? Not really knowing how much of it I have to design myself and how much can be bought is difficult. Not sure if I want to spend $100 to glance at the plans to figure out if the machine is the right one or not. Are there any brough detail plans of the machine I can look at that describe what needs to be cut and what can be bought online where?

I have 3 weeks to figure out which direction to go in. Being a newbie at building something like this, half the topics here are Greek to me.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 12:56
gooberdog
Just call me: Chuck

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Chris, building the MechMate is pretty straight forward. There is a kit of lasercut and bent parts that you need to buy. The rest of the structure is regular steel shapes and most all of the cuts are straight 90 degree cuts. There is some drilling and tapping then everything is welded up. The only odd part is grinding the rails for the gantry to ride on.

You will need to buy motors, controller, power supply, cable, cable chain, rack, Vee rollers, a computer, software, and some paint. Reading the site should expose you to everything required.

I think that you have made a good choice.
Old Tue 26 June 2012, 19:18
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by litemover View Post
Not really knowing how much of it I have to design myself and how much can be bought is difficult.
  1. You have to decide how big you want to make the table.
  2. You have to decide what thickness and profile steel to use, but the plans and forum give firm guidance.
  3. Referring to plans, you generate a cutting list (do a search of the build histories and you'll find many) for the steel supplier.
  4. Get a big pile of steel delivered (many build histories have pictures).
  5. Figure out which piece of steel goes where and start welding them together. If you didn't get all the angles cut, then you have to do this yourself. I learned cutting, welding and drilling along the way.
  6. Once the table base is made (basically a strong table with raised sides) you'll be more confident about tackling the gantry and z-car. These require specifically shaped pieces (from the laser cut parts you may be able to buy as a kit or contract to have cut yourself based on the plans) and cut lengths of steel to be welded together. Not too hard.
  7. You can make or buy rails. You calculate lengths based on your table size. You need to buy bearings for the gantry and x-car to roll on over the rails.
  8. At some stage you need to start figuring out electrics and electronics. The plans give circuit diagrams and the forums give guidance on parts. You need to decide which parts are right for your application (there are a couple of variations of "standard" groups of components - most commonly based on PMDX BOB boards and Gecko motor controls; Oriental or Motion King motors; and bought or built power supplies in the 600VA range).
I have not calculated what it cost me to build the machine in Australia, but I estimate $5000 or so, mostly in electronics and cabling, motors, steel, fasteners and consumables. I spent $1500 or so on tools such as a drill press, welder, steel offcut saw, grinder, bit sharpener and bits.
You need some space where you can make a noise and sparks, a willingness to read the plans and some time to dedicate to online research, shopping, and the building work itself.

Last edited by Red_boards; Tue 26 June 2012 at 19:22.. Reason: grammar
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 00:12
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_boards View Post
  1. You have to decide how big you want to make the table.
  2. You have to decide what thickness and profile steel to use, but the plans and forum give firm guidance.
  3. Referring to plans, you generate a cutting list (do a search of the build histories and you'll find many) for the steel supplier.
  4. Get a big pile of steel delivered (many build histories have pictures).
  5. Figure out which piece of steel goes where and start welding them together. If you didn't get all the angles cut, then you have to do this yourself. I learned cutting, welding and drilling along the way.
  6. Once the table base is made (basically a strong table with raised sides) you'll be more confident about tackling the gantry and z-car. These require specifically shaped pieces (from the laser cut parts you may be able to buy as a kit or contract to have cut yourself based on the plans) and cut lengths of steel to be welded together. Not too hard.
  7. You can make or buy rails. You calculate lengths based on your table size. You need to buy bearings for the gantry and x-car to roll on over the rails.
  8. At some stage you need to start figuring out electrics and electronics. The plans give circuit diagrams and the forums give guidance on parts. You need to decide which parts are right for your application (there are a couple of variations of "standard" groups of components - most commonly based on PMDX BOB boards and Gecko motor controls; Oriental or Motion King motors; and bought or built power supplies in the 600VA range).
I have not calculated what it cost me to build the machine in Australia, but I estimate $5000 or so, mostly in electronics and cabling, motors, steel, fasteners and consumables. I spent $1500 or so on tools such as a drill press, welder, steel offcut saw, grinder, bit sharpener and bits.
You need some space where you can make a noise and sparks, a willingness to read the plans and some time to dedicate to online research, shopping, and the building work itself.
Thank you for all the info on this. It looks like a fun project. I'm in New Zealand most of the time, so this is encouraging.

Cheers,
Chris
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 00:16
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Does anyone know which Oriental Motors would be best if doing a closed loop system? I mean which model?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 02:17
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
No real benefit in a closed loop system, do a search on the forum, this has been discussed at length.
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 17:10
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
No real benefit in a closed loop system, do a search on the forum, this has been discussed at length.
Great, thanks. In general, if I would like to build the most future proof system, up to date electronics, etc. Are they all pretty up to date in the plans or should I go through all the posts to find the most up to date?

Thanks for all your help with this.

Chris
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 22:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
There are no such thing as future proof machine.... If there were, we should remain in the broze age...
Old Mon 02 July 2012, 00:55
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Chris,

Even if you built a future proof machine - all it would be able to do is what a non future proof machine would do - even then you could explore the new parts from manufacturers talked about on this forum, like example - look at the new range of leadshine stepper motor drives,
Old Mon 02 July 2012, 01:09
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Thanks for the link. It looks fantastic. I'm looking for a driver/motor combo that will help me get smooth edges on my cuts. Something I won't need to go through and sand, is that possible? Going to do a lot of fairly intricate pattern work, and it would be a real pain in the ass to have to sand all of it...

Thanks,
Chris
Old Mon 02 July 2012, 02:11
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
In a word NO. I have worked on various platforms from the MechMate right up to multimillion Rand Big Iron CNC machines (Biesse, SCM etc) and even the work coming off them with super expensive servo drives and literally tons of mass in the structure still needed sanding, maybe to a lesser extent but it was still necessary. So you cant get away from sanding - spending a lot more money on the machine may reduce the amount of sanding but you have to weigh up the pros and cons - I know I enjoy sleeping at night knowing I dont owe a huge amount to some Bank or Financier thats probably stealing my money anyway.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read