MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 07 May 2013, 14:23
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
That last part was worth a laugh. Just seen a lot of people start and stop when they get to the rail grinding part.
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 16:50
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'm definitely ready to do the rails, got the skate set-up, shop is somewhat clean, got just about all the hardware needed for assembly, picked up the spoil boards last week (5x12's about killed me), got the teflon washers from James, been hounding my machinist about the bushings and bearing idler stud (zero cost so I can't complain) but just gotta keep'em happy. Planning my purchases of the control box and making final decisions on steppers and whether I should just use one of my 3.25 hp PC routers to start or just wait until I can afford a spindle set-up. What would you do?
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 17:18
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Tom, I used a classic PC 690 1.75 hp to start; I also used it to cut the 1/2" aluminum (in .05" passes) to hold my spindle. If you're going to be ramping up slowly and learning the machine, I'd go with the router and upgrade when you're ready - you'll know for sure that spindle and VFD noise aren't the issue while you debug the table, and you'll get a good feel for the limits of the machine. However, if you're looking to get to high production levels fast, and willing to deal with the extra complexity, then go right to the spindle.

My little router taught me a lot about how to make multipass cuts.
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 17:36
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I think I have 3 of the big PCs here at the house and of coarse the 'classic 690'. I hadn't thought of using a router to cut the bracket for the spindle, good starter project. And you are very right about not introducing another possible bug to fix, good call Brad. I would really like to get the spindle though, but I didn't want to buy additional boards when switching.
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 18:30
pblackburn

United States of America
Adding a spindle will not require anything but a 485 converter using the serial port on your computer. It does require a bit of filtering, well quite a bit. WC spindle is nice for better dust containment and management as there is no fan to fight with your dust collector. I started out with a PC7518 but that is what I had around the house.
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 18:54
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Now when you say filtering, does that mean chokes and isolated grounding, etc?
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 19:36
pblackburn

United States of America
Yes. RF chokes, ferrite cores, line reactors, etc.
Old Tue 07 May 2013, 20:03
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Also, because I would be using the serial port to control the spindle it would be safe to assume that Mach 3 would control that configuration setup? By-the-way Pete, my wife is from Blairsville near Indiana, Pennsylvania, 1 hour outside Pittsburg. Where are you?
Old Wed 08 May 2013, 04:57
pblackburn

United States of America
Bedford, 2 hrs from Indiana, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, 1 hour from Altoona and Cumberland, MD
Old Wed 08 May 2013, 17:59
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I think my header "Going to start the rails" should add: "After my wife releases me from indenture..."
Old Wed 08 May 2013, 18:49
pblackburn

United States of America
I think all of us that are married would have that title.
Old Thu 09 May 2013, 17:56
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
Tom, I've been saying that for three years!

But I am sooooooo close to freedom.. Only 70 more doors to make and install and then on to the base !

Last edited by swatkins; Thu 09 May 2013 at 18:22..
Old Thu 09 May 2013, 18:21
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Got the seal for the control box door today, had to wait to fabricate the door until after I knew what the seal really looked like...Oh that's right, I can't until I can show some progress on the bathroom, lol

Steve you have no idea how long I just stared at the forum before I decided to 'make my move' and start building, it took a lot of premeditated calculation...and here I wait again.
Old Sat 11 May 2013, 12:42
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom,
I started thinking about a cnc router for my cabinets in 2007 when I was building my home but not on the size of a Mechmate, only large enough to do doors. Didn't have the time then as I was the one doing the building. I stumbled onto this forum in 2010 but I had to build a stone retaining wall around the home with rocks I removed with the excavator in 2007, 2011 I had to make a yard. Finally in November of that year I was able to get the wife onboard with building a CNC router. It will make her cabinets so therefore it was okay. She has left me play with it long enough to learn it and now she wants the new kitchen done. I would like a garage and the only way to get it is to finish the kitchen and dining room. Small price to pay but if they are not happy, neither are we.
Old Sat 11 May 2013, 13:26
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well Pete where is your MM now if not in the garage?
Old Sat 11 May 2013, 16:11
pblackburn

United States of America
Basement is at ground level for first third of the home with 9'4 ceiling. House built into the hillside. My other home on the property is condemned and is slated to become the foundation for the garage (there were 2 houses on the same property when I bought it, one good, one not so good). This is why I harp on the importance of dust collection. I try to capture even the smallest particle which is impossible. I use ventilation and air exchange to assist air quality where the dc cannot go. That is also why I went the bolt together route to fit out my 6' x 6'8 doors when it makes the transition which I hope is next year.
Old Sat 11 May 2013, 19:34
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Good luck with the garage, I'm sure it'll be a blessing. I started woodworking in my garage then built a small shop next to the house (30 x 40) after the wife complaining about the dust. Then moved my business into 6500sf two years later, then into a 11750sf. Now I'm trying to get back to the small one and a half man operation again (so much less headache)
Old Sat 11 May 2013, 19:48
pblackburn

United States of America
I now about the dust and I try to maintain a minimum. The biggest helper was the wc spindle with the dust shoe. It collects more than 99% of the dust now. Don't smell it or taste it and flashlight test is good but I still added cross ventilation to be safe. Making one cut with my 12 compound miter saw makes more dust than a sheet of plywood being cut for cabinets. I have the layout of the garage, just need to start and I was informed kitchen is first. I will be in an area 26'x30'x9' when it is finished.
Old Sat 11 May 2013, 19:54
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Very Nice! I don't have a dust collector here at the house, I look to find a deal with on-line auctions. Haven't really pushed for one because I want to make sure that the MM is built first.
Old Sun 12 May 2013, 01:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
ITs never too early to install a dust collector.
Old Sun 12 May 2013, 04:20
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I understand the importance of dust collection and was planning a Bill Pentz cyclone set up. I've got the sheet metal but need to get the DC to know what size it will end up being, (based on Bill's calculations of hp and size of impeller, etc). I do have a fine dust filter system that I've used for years, works great. Gets rid of that pesky fine stuff fairly quickly that would otherwise not be picked. It'll all come with time (something I have a limited amount of).
Old Mon 13 May 2013, 04:10
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Thien Separator is an effective & economical solution. all you need is to get hold of the biggest barrel you can put your hands on. 2 hours work tops.
Old Mon 13 May 2013, 17:14
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'll check those out. Do you have any references? I really enjoy metalwork though and look forward to building the cyclone.
Old Mon 13 May 2013, 19:43
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tom,
Try this out. The Thien Cyclone Separator Lid
Old Tue 14 May 2013, 01:14
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=347
how I did it.
Old Tue 14 May 2013, 02:59
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Heath and Ken, thanks for sharing. I was planning for the exhaust to be vented outdoors with a collection bin for clean-out. I had already made an area on the outside for a cyclone set up when I first built this building. (noise is a big issue for me, I want to be able to hear my grandchildren when I get old)(I already can't hear my wife )
Old Tue 14 May 2013, 11:48
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tom, I think that is selective hearing.
Old Tue 14 May 2013, 17:00
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Oh really...
Old Tue 14 May 2013, 21:20
pblackburn

United States of America
I think the proper answer is "Yes Dear"
Old Thu 30 May 2013, 19:21
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Received the steel for the z plate today, think I'll secretly layout the holes and countersinks. (sssshhhhhhhh) Also picked up some sanding disks to grind rails and ordered 36' of rack as well. had some of the last bits of steel delivered last week to the shop, again sshhhh....

On a good note, I did manage to make the stair hand rail for the house, made the wife happy, so there.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read