MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 12 July 2009, 04:50
macky
Just call me: Martin

laibach
Slovenia
Construction started - Laibach, Slovenia

Hello from Slovenia!

I just received the first parts today, steppers came last week. I decided to go with the original mm since I plan to use it for cutting sailboat profiles. The plans are superb.
I will post some pictures when I start to assemble the monster .
Is there any upgrade / modification for the table part, a kind of folding mechanism? The whole best is large and heavy... unfortunately I have a limited work space right now. I saw some people using cranes, but this is not really an option for me. I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

regards, Martin
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 06:00
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Martin,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 07:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Martin.

Interesting that you picked the German name for Ljubljana (Laibach).

We have a wine farm nearby called Laibach. If you look at their webcam today you can see our winter is miserable today. http://www.laibachwines.com/
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 18:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome to the forum Martin!
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 19:09
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Martin,

There is no modification I have found for a 'folding' table. I was thinking about one or doing one that is like a 'murphy bed' so it is low to the ground and folds
up. No plans, just in the conceptualizing stage.

I doubt I will get around to it as I am working on a 'second project first' to build an outbuilding that is to be used as a wood shop.

In my thoughts, I would have a 'base' section where the Y gantry could roll onto, and the remainder of the gantry would 'fold down'. Probably using a few small sections of rack to ensure the gantry alligns when it comes 'down' in position. Once in position, insert a bolt with wing nut in each side to ensure it stays in alignment.

It would still be quite heavy, and a small wench would probably be needed to 'fold up' the x axis.

I think it is doable.

If you or someone else desires to build it, please post lots of pictures and plan modifications.

Gerald had an idea for a smaller table that would be high enough so the X axis would be high enough to go over the hood (bonnet?) of a car when pulled into a single car garage. I don't think it was ever developed more than the concept either.

... Jack
Old Sun 12 July 2009, 23:56
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by servant74 View Post
a small wench would probably be needed to 'fold up' the x axis.
Jack, my wife will not let me keep a small wench in the workshop, how do you get it right

Think that should be winch?
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 09:06
macky
Just call me: Martin

laibach
Slovenia
Thank you all for best wishes. I just got my parts and now I have 3 months vacation to do build the beast . I was also not sure about folding table. My idea was that I could fold the table while not using it and use the extra space gained (cnc will be used sporadically - at least at the beginning). How about vertical mount?
Anyway I can see that Gerald is quite familiar with the slovenian geography (and history ofcourse). And yes we have some superb wines around here. I'm also an avid wine drinker (also familiar with some good australian wines that are getting better every year).

cheers from Ljubljana
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 11:10
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Martin,
3 Months vacation. Wow, that really sounds great, wish I could take that much myself. Good luck on the build.
Also if you have that wench in the garage, it might take longer!
Old Fri 23 April 2010, 08:12
bonny
Just call me: Bonny

Sencur
Slovenia
Kako napreduješ?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read