MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > The Show Room
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 22 June 2009, 16:38
myozman
Just call me: Mike #16

Demotte,IN
United States of America
3D carving for Father's Day

I put this together for my Dad. It turned out pretty good for being direct drive on the motors. It's about 12" x 27". Can't wait to get gear reduction someday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carving.jpg (152.6 KB, 894 views)
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 19:47
Castone
Just call me: Leo #41

Soddy Daisy , Tn
United States of America
Looks great !
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 19:57
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mike,
Very Impressive. Could you give us some detail on what program you used, where the model came from and wood, cut time etc for this?
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 21:19
myozman

Demotte,IN
United States of America
I used a relief from Vectorart 3d, Did the tool paths in Vectorart 3d machinist. Imported into Vcarve pro, drew offset and some radius'. Used 1/2" roughing endmill, 1/8" round nose for finishing. 14% stepover ( 10% would have taken 1.5-2 hours longer) Cut time was around 3 hours +/-. Oak 1x12, 24 inches long.

I'm finally getting the hang of some of the software from Vectric. Someday I would like to upgrade to Aspire. Right now it's not within my buget.
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 23:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Brilliant!
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 23:27
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Very good! Amazing detail.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 02:08
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mike,

Very nice.

With my limited experience cutting 3D, trying using a 1/4 Ball nose or round nose between the end mill and the final 1/8 round nose. It may speed things up because it will help remove some of the large pieces but it does take a lot of time for the 1/8 bit.

The guys at Vectric make some nice software for the price you pay. I really like the features that Aspire has.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 04:31
myozman

Demotte,IN
United States of America
Nils,
In 3d machinist, it only has option for rough and finish. If I put another toolpath for 1/4", I don't think the finish will calulate things any faster. I am going to try something with the 1/4" bit, just to see how much detail is lost.
Old Tue 23 June 2009, 04:38
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mike,

Yes it is the same with Aspire. What I did with one piece was I did a rough cut with 1/4 end mill and 1/4 ball nose. I then did a smooth cut with 1/8 ball nose bit. It took about an hour to cut with the 1/8 ball nose.

The first picture is after the 1/4 end mill and the second is after both of the ball nose bits. When I was done, I did not have to sand the material and it was smooth as you could want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1179.jpg (167.0 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1180.jpg (169.1 KB, 804 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read