MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 09 October 2010, 17:55
giz
Just call me: Tyler

Salt Lake City, UT
United States of America
Hello from Salt Lake City!

Howdy!

Just a short introduction, I'm a 24 year old native-Utahn with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have a few years experience in medical product design, but am currently transitioning to a position with a major Solidworks reseller here in Salt Lake.

My primary hobby/passion is replica props and costumes from the television and film industry. I love the idea of seeing something in a movie and instead of just saying, "Wow, it'd be neat to have that," actually building it. My desire to continually improve my props has led me to building my own cnc router.

I first found CNCZone several months ago, and from there I purchased Joe's 4x4 plans for access to his forum. I have little experience fabricating metal, so I was drawn to that build. Eventually I decided I wanted something more industrial and learning to weld would only benefit me. This brought me to MechMate!

Like many people here, I am looking to build something more versatile then a simple panel cutter, though I see myself doing a lot of it (including aluminum). Most of my 3D work would be in foam, and this includes 4th axis work up to maybe 10-12 inches in diameter.

I'd like to construct a full 4'x8' table with a 4-axis mostly likely located underneath a removable spoilboard. Halloween is the busiest time of year for props, so I'd like to start construction of the table next month. I will possibly order the kitchen table setup prior to that.

If anybody has any suggestions or concerns regarding what I'd like to do with this machine, feel free to speak up! I'm looking forward to starting this journey that so many of you have finished.

-Tyler
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 19:41
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tyler,
There a few theater folks here with plenty of experience building just that!

it sounds like your clearly on your way. If I have one suggestion, it would be that you build a 4 x10 machine. 4 x 8 flat cutting and the extra 2' for the indexer. RARELY, do you need more than 2' dia swing and 4' wide of part to index/lathe cut. Makes the transition to different parts far easier. Speaking from experience.

Good luck....ask questions.

Sean
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 20:30
giz

Salt Lake City, UT
United States of America
Hey Sean,

I had originally mentioned your deep 4th axis build, but I must have deleted it! I love what you are doing with those foam blocks - very similar to some work I'd like to do myself.

I like your idea and since I have no experience with this, I will probably go that route. I honestly don't need 8' feed of cutting area, so I'd probably keep the same footprint but reduce my flat area. 2'x4' is plenty of space for lathe work. I'd like to steer clear of extending my Z too far if possible, so that limits the diameter of my workpieces. Anything longer then 4' would probably be thin (like a staff or sword) and I'd probably want to do it in sections anyway to maintain accuracy.

This is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to run an idea across you in hopes you might have some insight. I have an idea to machine foam parts slightly scaled down to allow for a coat of styrospray, then following up with a finish pass at the correct size. Any thoughts? Seems like it would make a great final product.

Tyler
Old Sun 10 October 2010, 05:18
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tyler.
I have done exactly what your suggesting. The important thing about the process you suggest is you have to hard coat while the part is in the machine. Otherwise, you lose registration. Most 3d cutting programs (like RhinoCam 4th axis) allow for an over cut or under cut option when tool pathing. SO, overcut the part, hardcoat, then come back and VERY slowly machine the final surface.

If you travel back in the forums and search, you should find some video links to a Germany company that does full size cars and boats in the same process.

Sean
Old Sun 10 October 2010, 07:54
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Welcome Tyler,

Don't worry about the welding and the build. With a little practice, you'll have a MM operating in no time.

The MM is a great design and machine. Lots of good information and help here.

Have fun guy. The build is a blast, but operating the MM and cutting stuff is even better.
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 22:30
giz

Salt Lake City, UT
United States of America
Nothing new, just trying to decide exactly how I want to approach some aspects is driving me crazy!

I really like the idea of using a linear rail/leadscrew combo in the Z axis, especially if I'm doing 4th axis work that may be off-center. I haven't modeled it yet, but my gut instinct tells me it will offer superior rigidity, especially in an extended setup.

I'm pretty sure I will have to go with a lower table and longer Z, something like bradyaero's table.

I'm undecided on the electronics setup, as the added axis creates a bit of an issue. The g540 is appealing, but I'd have to purchase 2 of them, or add an extra BOB. I'm unsure how I'm going to approach this at this point.
Old Tue 12 October 2010, 03:33
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Tyler,

Give me a phone call or send an email if you need any help with the electronics. I'm just down the road in South Jordan.

Mike Richards
801 254-3900
miker@xmission.com
Old Tue 12 October 2010, 15:28
giz

Salt Lake City, UT
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards View Post
Tyler,

Give me a phone call or send an email if you need any help with the electronics. I'm just down the road in South Jordan.

Mike Richards
801 254-3900
miker@xmission.com
Thanks for the offer! I'd love to pick your brain. I noticed awhile back you on the Shopbot forum you have a table for sale. It sounds like a great machine, maybe I can see it in action sometime.
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 06:27
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I just received confirmation of my machine's sale this morning, so my Shopbot will be gone in a few days. Some health problems finally needed attention and the doctors said that my days of lifting 100 pound sheets of MDF are gone forever.

But, you're still welcome to call or drop by. I still have my stepper test bench and a bunch of stepper motors. (There's another Shopbotter over in Sandy who would be pleased to show you his machine in action.)
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 08:20
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tyler,
Welcome to the forum!

Mike, sorry to hear about the health problem. Take care!
Old Fri 22 October 2010, 10:24
giz

Salt Lake City, UT
United States of America
Thanks! Wow, Halloween is such a busy time for me... 4 hour nights turned into all-nighters but I'm almost done with my commissions. Then I can think about MechMate again

For now, what I'm leaning towards is a simple table similar to bradyaero's, with 4'x6' cutting area plus a 4'x2' area for a 4th axis. G540 with an additional (cheap) BOB for 4th axis control.
Old Sun 07 October 2012, 23:12
Pikasso
Just call me: 2060, Airport Drive

UTAH
United States of America
Tyler are you done building your table If so I'm in lehi and would like to see it!
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 13:22
W7CBM
Just call me: Bryan

Murray (Utah)
United States of America
Tyler, I see your last post was in 2010 have you had any progress. I live in Murray and am thinking I will build a 5X9 MM. Maybe we could get the Wasatch front guys together and get things cooking.

Bryan

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read