MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 02 February 2010, 09:29
DIYaholic
Just call me: Crash

Vermont
United States of America
Ignorant Newbie; Logging On - Vermont, US

Hello all,
Just another newbie here. I'll be lurking and looking over your shoulders as I research/learn and gather information/knowledge to start my own design and build. I don't have a shop to work out of untill this spring or summer, so I'm using my time at hand to learn and eventually design for my own diy cnc router. I'm planning on building a machine capable of cutting hardwoods, ply and aluminum. I'll be looking for a 3' X 4' work envelope (depent upon shop space available). Anyone here from the Burlington, VT area? It would be great to see some machines up close and personal. While I'm here, I will try to stay out of the way, not step on anyones toes and promise not to spill my coffee on your computer workstation.

Thanks in advance for letting me tag along for the ride.

RN

I may not be good...
but, I am S L O W!!!
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 10:49
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
RN, if you are wanting to do your own design, then CNCZone is going to be a better place for you. Over here we are supposed to stick to the plans.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 11:06
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
RN,

You couldn't have found a better place to build a machine. You should do some more reading before you decided to design your own. You can always scale your machine to a size that best fits your needs.

But if you want to design your own machine, then CNCZone is a better place.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 11:21
DIYaholic

Vermont
United States of America
Design Research

Thanks guys, for the response.
I realize that plans are to be followed here @ MechMate. I am on this forum to learn more about the MechMate plans and machines, to see if they are indeed what I need/what for my build. I am currently researching on the cnczone also, it is a great site with tons of info and extremely talented, helpful people. I'm here hoping to further my cnc education with as many resources that I can find.
Again, thanks for letting me look over your shoulders.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 11:42
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
RN,

Welcome to the forum.

since you mention you want to design your own, do you have any special requirements the Mechmate wouldn't fit? Some people here change the plans a tad, but only because they have different requirements, most changes are found in the table to make room for an indexer, or in the z-plate, gantry will stay mostly the same.

Ries
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 13:05
DIYaholic

Vermont
United States of America
Design requirements?

Thanks for the welcome.
I am not fimiliar enough with the MechMate plans, yet, to say that it won't fit my needs. As my research progresses and I learn more about the capabilities of cnc routers in general, I will be defining the specific requirements of my machine. I heard about MechMate through CNCZone and am here at MechMate to learn about their capabilities and potential limitations. I have some basic cnc requirements, however, without fully understanding capabilities and limitations, I can not finalize my machine requirements. It would be irresponsible, both fiscally and from an engineering standpoint, to settle on a design that would not allow itself to be upgraded or modified for an anticipated/needed future capability.
Right now, I'm looking for a machine with a 3' X 4' X 6" envelope, that can cut/route hardwoods, ply(up to 3/4"), and some aluminum plate(maybe 1/2"). I realize that all designs are compromises. I need to find the best "Bang for the Budget", while not limiting myself to future upgrades as cashflow allows.
Thanks for the the input. If and when I decide upon the MechMate plans I will certainly post my progress. However, till then, I hope nobody minds me looking around and over their shoulders.

RN,

I may not be good...
but I am S L O W!!!
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 13:55
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Welcome RN,

MM is the best quality and performance money can buy, even more if you invest your own work into it. Many of us are cutting Hardwood, MDF/HDF, ply and even aluminiu and acrylic with it. I can even imagine a MM building another MM without any problems.
Why change a running system?
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 13:56
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome RN.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 17:59
DIYaholic

Vermont
United States of America
Thanks for the welcome

domino11- thanks for the hello.

Claudiu- Thanks for the hello.
Your Q: Why change a running system?
My A: Don't know if I will need to. As I stated earlier, I am not real familiar with the MechMate machines. I have not had time to research the various MechMate plans or other people's mods to the MechMate. I didn't want to ask any premature questions with out doing my own homework, but since you asked. If I were to make my X-axis 3' and my Y-axis 4', would I be able to extend the table, linear rails, etc and be able to (relatively easily and inexpensively) expand it to a 4' X 8' X 6" in order to cut full size sheet goods?
I may also be interested in a 4th axis, ATC, perhaps even a dual spindle setup. These are just some of the things I wish to educate myself about prior to deciding upon a final design for my machine.
I have read some good things about the MechMate, so I am here to learn if it the right machine for me.
Thanks for the input, see you around the forum.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 18:45
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
RN
The MM uses Vwheels and ground rails, not linear rails, although one chap did build one with linear rails.
There are several people on the forum who have added an indexer for a 4th axis.
You could easily build your y at 4' and extend the X later.

Last edited by domino11; Tue 02 February 2010 at 21:11..
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 19:29
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hi RN,

There are a couple of people building smallish machines. (see here for one example)Your thought of making the Y axis 4' and the X axis short is exactly how most approach it. That way you can keep the ganty and just upgrade the table. That said, there is a lot of 'overhead' with the MM design compared to similar sized working envelope machines on the 'zone. The MM gantry needs about 2' of length on top of the travel you need for the X axis. So if you only want 3' on the X axis, you machine will be 5' long. If you can afford that much space for a small footprint machine then go for it! you will not be dissappointed with the machine's capability.
There is enough room for a second spindle but i don't think i've seen anyone actually do it, most use the extra space for a dust collection duct.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 22:58
DIYaholic

Vermont
United States of America
Thanks, Domino11 and MattyZee, for the info. As I said earlier, I'm in the research portion of the planning process. Since I don't currenlty have a shop to put a machine in (or to build one in for that matter), my machine design won't/can't be finalized until I know what size footprint I will have space for. I won't know space limitations until spring at the earliest. One thing I can do is figure out estimated cost for various sized builds. That means looking at the plans and estimating costs for needed materials, machining, linear motion, electronics, etc., etc.
As I am not totally familiar with the MM plans, I must do some homework. I must admit, going with the MM plans would definitely move me out of my comfort zone. I have no experience welding and very little metal working experience. That being said, I have always wanted to learn to weld and this certainly gives me a great reason/excuse to add to my current skill set and tool inventory.
Again, Thanks for the input.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read