MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 08 May 2009, 22:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The fun of doing business in Africa

Here is a bloke who found my day job website (related to waste removal vehicles) and then sends me the following mail:

Attn; Director
I am His Royal Highness Chief Angwafor S. Fru III, the vice Chairman of Cameroon People's Democratic Movement (CPDM Party), the ruling Party of the Republic of Cameroon.
I came across your profile as I was searching for a competent and reliable supplier/manufacturer that can handle a contract supply of Vacuum trucks for the CPDM Party of the Government of Cameroon sponsored by the CPDM Party of Cameroon and I learned that your company is into such business.
Regarding this contract; this is a contract production of 50 pieces of Vacuum trucks for the CPDM Party of the Government of Cameroon according to the following
specification and features or something similar.

72” DIAMETER X 186” LONG SHELL
1/4" STEEL PLATE, DOUBLE WELDED AND TESTED SEAMS
1- PC 1/4" REINFORCED BAFFLES
2 PC 1/4" FLANGED AND DISHED ENDS
PRIMARY SHUT OFF IN TOP FRONT OF TANK
10-GALLON SECONDARY MOISTURE TRAP
FULL LENGTH FRAME MOUNT SILLS 1/4" FORMED STEEL
FULL LENGTH FENDERS FOR HOSE STORAGE. TAILBOARD WITH BUMPER
1-24” MAN WAY , BOTTOM REAR, HINGED AT SIDE
2-3” PORT BOTTOM REAR, PROX 12” BACK FROM END OF SHELL
2- 4” MANUAL VALVES AT REAR WITH CAN LOC MALE FITTINGS WITH CAPS
1- 4” RISER FILL PIPE INSIDE LEFT SIDE.
1- 3” PORT WITH VALVE AND END CAP IN FRONT BOTTOM. 3” TEE AND 3” PIPE LEFT FRONT SIDE.
TRUCK LIGHT OR GROTE SEALED LIGHT SYSTEM TO DOT SPEC.
2 HOSE HOOKS AT REAR
SIGHT GAUGE DRIVERS SIDE FRONT
TWO REAR TOW LOOPS
EPOXY COATED INSIDE TANK.
SANDBLASTED, PRIMED WITH 2 STAGE EPOXY PRIMER.
2 COATS PREMIUM URETHANE PAINT
RECOMMENDED CHASSIS SPEC; 18-20,000# FRONT AXLE,
46,000# REARS. 156” C.T.

PUMPING SYSTEM
NATIONAL VACUUM NVE 367 CHALLENGER AIR COOLED PUMP.
342 CFM MAX AIR FLOW.
MAXIMUM INTERMITTENT VACUUM 28”
MAX INTERMITTENT PRESSURE 30 PSI (MAX TANK PSI 14)
OPTIONAL WATER COOLED PUMP SAME SPEC’S.
PRE-MOUNTED/UNITIZED WITH RIGHT ANGLE BOX
FINAL ALUMINUM MOISTURE TRAP FINAL FILTER.
12” OIL CATCH MUFFLER. RELIEF MANIFOLD WITH
VACUUM AND PRESSURE GAUGE AND RELIEF.
2 GEAR AIR SHIFT PTO. 1260 SPICER DRIVELINE

The duration of supply of this contract is 14 Months from the date of acceptance.
I want you to understand that I am the Chairman of the Contract Award Committee of this contract and I have the authority to award this contract to any reliable supplier/manufacturer that is willing to cooperate with me and fulfills the contract conditions.
The reason why I am contacting you in this contract is because I want us to work together in this contract for mutual benefit. I want to know if you will be willing to co-operate with me in over-invoicing the total contract in my favor as I want to make a personal profit from this contract.
If this is okay by you, let me know so that I would let you know how I want us to handle this. I will also like to have your price estimates/quote so that I would let you know how we are going to handle it.
Regards
HRH Chief Angwafor S. Fru III
The CPDM Congress Office
B.P 114 Bamenda,
N/W Prov, Rep of Cameroon ,
Tel: +237 99795971
E-mail:
angwaforf@yahoo.com

Amazing that some people fall for these approaches!
Old Sat 09 May 2009, 03:12
234ahmed
Just call me: Ahmed #81

Damietta
Egypt
Gerald, this one at least has a very good professional approach. For sure it's better than the famous one of the ex-president son who has 20 billions on the banks and want your help to get it out of Zimbabwe
Old Sat 09 May 2009, 06:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
To see how the scam works:
http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/...w_benin_import
Old Sat 09 May 2009, 08:16
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Looks like a 419 scam, but, it reads like a regular govt business like is done here too
Only difference is that these arrangements are not written

Yes, our govt is corrupt too
Old Sat 09 May 2009, 08:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Pablo, it is the same guys as the 419 scam, but they are just changing their tactics a bit. This is NOT government business (the yahoo addresss is a big clue). The sad thing is that there are many people that just think "Oh that is Africa, that is normal". But I have not yet had a single (genuine) government official hint that a bribe is needed in 25 years of business life here.
Old Sat 09 May 2009, 10:52
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Gerald,
Like the idea of a vacuum truck, full of nothing but this big sucking sound: YOUR MONEY!
Old Sat 09 May 2009, 11:30
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The "Cameroon" (e-mail IP traces to Nigeria) specification is copied from an Ohio supplier's document here.

Another scam I've been getting is something similar to the above, but listing model numbers of my company's own products. No bribes asked, just a formal letter of invitation from my company so that a group of 4 persons can come and inspect the goods before shipment. And THAT is the scam!...... Once they have the letter, they can get 4 visas and get past our immigration officials at the airport. The company issuing the letter will never see these people, nor will they return to their home country......

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read