MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 16 March 2011, 22:20
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
No! Looks like an Arabic artifact though
Old Mon 21 March 2011, 02:42
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Had to do some cutting boards for a friend. He supplied the nice pieces of wood, old BBB had to do it's magic with the help form Aspire's INLAY tool.
After the first one I noticed it was not fitting 100%. Checked my router and found some play. Replaced the main bearing and brushes...about time... and the second one is much better. Also found the single bolt keeping the router to Z-Plate was stripped. Replace that as well, now everything is SOLID again.

Tip: check / replace single bolt keeping router plate to Z-Plate from time to time.!!

Done with 2mm drill bit as my 3mm end mill did not get into the funny 'A' at the top.

DSC01688.JPG
Old Mon 21 March 2011, 14:33
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nice Inlay Kobus. But where are the pics of the violin?
Old Tue 22 March 2011, 00:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
busy busy busy.. I stuffed up one piece of Maple for the neck last night...
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 09:52
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Vectric have these PROJECTS on their site. Decided to make the 'YOU've captured my heart....project...on my cheap ply. The parts are shaped with 3d carving... took a while to do.. I think with normal 2d cutting I can do the same and much quicker.

DSC01709.JPG

The other day I was at a wood dealer in Benoni buying MDF. While waiting I saw this piece of African Rosewood...1900 mm long, 150mm wide and 22mm thick. I saw some cutting boards in this plank. It was a bit twisted, but I managed to get 2 nice sized cutting boards out of the piece.....R 72.00 worth of wood...
DSC01710.JPG
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 11:30
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Looks good, what you recon you could sell the cutting board for? (Is that what a Stormers fan would use to carve some Bulls Meat or Sharks meat??? )
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 12:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Alan DON't go there, I know your team had some LUCK this weekend...we were a bit down. must admit the Stormers are playing like Champs

Making a price for this board ???? I really don't know....R100.00 ? R 150.00 ?? I would like to get an indication what people think they are worth. Total cutting / engraving time with 2 tool changes is about 20 minutes...So one could turn these things out in bulk once your wood is prepared.
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 12:18
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
5841_Shark_Med_Shadow.jpeg

Maybe a future project.
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 13:46
slobato
Just call me: Leandro

Lauro de Freitas
Brazil
Dear Kobus Joubert

Did you can specify the drawing numbers of the Mechmate project with that compose the Y axis? I need know for send to the cnc laser cutting and bend company. Thanks
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 13:54
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Making a price for this board ???? I really don't know....R100.00 ? R 150.00 ?? I would like to get an indication what people think they are worth. Total cutting / engraving time with 2 tool changes is about 20 minutes...So one could turn these things out in bulk once your wood is prepared.
Kobus,
A good cutting board can go from R500 to R1500 depending on the size, thickness and wood type. Yours I would say should go for R700 at least.
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 13:56
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobato View Post
Did you can specify the drawing numbers of the Mechmate project with that compose the Y axis? I need know for send to the cnc laser cutting and bend company. Thanks
Slobato,
PM me and I will send you the drawings prepared for cutting and bending.
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 16:30
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Nice job! I'll have to get motivated and keep up

Tim
Old Fri 08 April 2011, 12:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Somebody in Johannesburg that just got him MechMate running was contacted to do a job....will not mention names Brad... ..but he is still fine tuning his MM...so he asked me if I am interested. I like one off's and said yes. This lady wanted it from CHERRY and I quoted her on this expensive stuff.
Size 1700mm x 200mm.
As she want's it tomorrow I had to sacrifise my rum and coke tonight and had to work. Tomorrow I will cut it free and give it a cote of sealer at the back.

DSC01712.JPG
Old Fri 08 April 2011, 17:00
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Captain Morgan or DR. Chris Barnard se hoes Moetie ( RED Hart Rum)?
Old Fri 08 April 2011, 21:52
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Captain Morgan or Bacardi for sure!
Old Fri 08 April 2011, 22:59
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Both wrong.. I am a MONTEGO man ...Only drink that medicine ( RED HART ) when I have money..
Old Fri 08 April 2011, 23:28
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Skip the RED HART gives to much of a head ache next morning.
Old Sat 09 April 2011, 04:38
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Red Heart is the only dop endorsed by the Heart Foundation. The Coke is good for the worms.
Old Sat 09 April 2011, 07:04
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
Old Sat 09 April 2011, 09:35
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
How long did it take Kobus and at what speed?It looks Nice. Jan, I salute a Captain Morgan but if funds allow a Appleton Estate does the trick.
Old Sat 09 April 2011, 11:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Total time about 45 minutes cutting time with 2 tool changes.
First cut outline with 6.35mm straight cutter 8mm deep.
Then Pocket (rough cut ) with same 1/4inch cutter.
It looked RIGHT, so I did not change to 3mm straight cutter.
Then did the 45 deg bevels with 12mm 90 deg cutter on the lines.
Removed cutter and back to 1/4 inch to cut free this morning.
Old Tue 12 April 2011, 11:40
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Anybody had any experience with this type of thicknesser ?

ct381.gif

This CT-381 15" planer provides a cutting capacity of up to 15" width by a thickness of 6". This machine is designed and manufactured to provide outstanding planning performance. The machine frame is precision machined from extra-heavy cast iron for maximum rigidity. The 15" x 20" bed is built of heavy, rib-reinforced, precision ground cast iron. The spiral in-feed roller and the smooth out-feed roller are 2" in diameter and are driven by heavy gears for a positive and powerful feeding effect. A 2HP motor is recommended for light and medium duty planning jobs.
Old Tue 12 April 2011, 11:51
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
The blades become blunt quickly, so you need a sharpener as well. Due to the pressure of the rollers, it has a nasty habit of gouging the end of the plank. Why don't you rather consider the Metabo or Electra Blum. Might be a bit more expensive, but they are much better engineered and you have a planer as well.
Old Tue 12 April 2011, 12:08
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Jan, but why would this machine make the blades to go blunt quicker ? Is this not a matter of the blade type that will give you longer sharper life ?

Sharpener... no problem...I have one to do these size blades.
My old small machine also liked to take a bite at the end. Will do some tests before I decide to buy it.

I can get this machine at a soft price...and even if it is not PERFECT it will be much better than the one I am using now.
Old Tue 12 April 2011, 14:17
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
As far as rigidity goes I would say this is a step or three above the Metabo or Electra Bekum. Its also not as rigid as a Wadkin or Felder but then the price is probably much cheaper. Depth of cut may be a bit less than the heavier boys but if treated properly will give good service. Snipe can be virtually eliminated if you take the time to set up the feed rollers properly (same thing applies to bigger more expensive machines) and I dont see you machining beams to build a log cabin any time soon...
Old Wed 13 April 2011, 11:43
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Another 'RUSHED' job. People always want it yesterday...although they had this idea last month / year already.

Customer wanted vinyl stickers on some sort of substrate. I have the vinyl cutter to do it, but why not have something special I said.

This done on African Rosewood. Note the little block of wood at the top. The 2 holes corresponds to the hanger holes at the back...to ease installation.

DSC01719.JPG

DSC01721.JPG
Old Wed 13 April 2011, 13:06
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus, at school many moons ago the rule was that you only take of 1mm at a time,that way if you have a plank that has some cross grain it doesn`t rip pieces out of the wood.It is how you treat it that matters ( some cobra floor wax also works).
Old Fri 15 April 2011, 20:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
WARNING to all the new builders of this fantastic machine :

Just watch out...this thing is not a PROJECT...it's a lifestyle...Really addictive.
I think I will be booked into a rehab program soon..
Not a word about motorbikes for months now - Kobus has really fallen hard.
Old Fri 15 April 2011, 22:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Luckily not FALLING off the bike physically..still riding every day. I use the motorbike to get back home throught traffic quicker so that I can start up old BBB and make some dust...to FEED my addiction
Old Sun 24 April 2011, 11:26
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
Any news on the violin?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts