MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 26 April 2017, 15:22
Dangle_kt
Just call me: Dangle

Lancashire
United Kingdom
UK based newbie saying hi

Hi everyone,

Love the forum! Lots to learn.

Little bit about me and why I am planning a build.

My Dad is about to retire and as a wood machinist of 20-30 years who wants to top up his pension we have devised a cunning plan for a small business idea, using a CNC router.

I have been trying to find a suitable CNC router but keep hitting issues with questionable quality, light duty structure, all the way to too high cost for the commercial level machines - as we will almost exclusively doing panel work, the 8x4 mechmate seems to tick a lot of boxes.

It helps I have just invested a lot of money into my man cave for metal working, so I have a big CNC mill (HAAS), a smaller CNC lathe (Denford) and smaller machines like welder, pillar drills and band saw etc. so I should be ok for most elements - the only thing I think I will be missing is a sheet bender able to handle the Z structure as that looks a little complex.

I have ordered a set of pre-bent parts from the UK based supplier, and was hoping to buy a load of other bits they might be willing to sell to help the build along, but they said they can't due to licence limitations- which is a shame, but I guess rules is rules and its good for the Mechmate owner to know the UK partner is playing fair.

I have to be honest, I am completely out my depth when it comes to the electronics, I understand what the bits do (at least major components) so I will likely ask a series of irritating questions over coming months. If any UK based Mechmater is out there that I could pop across to and have a look I'd be really grateful of the experience - I'll bring my go pro and record you talking me through the electrics for later reference and help.

I have a hankering to use clear path servos, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not...if I have to spend a few £££ more on the setup but it saves hours of head scratching, I think that sounds good to me!

Anyway, much to do, really looking forward to progressing!

Last edited by Dangle_kt; Wed 26 April 2017 at 15:25..
Old Wed 26 April 2017, 16:43
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Welcome Dangle and best wishes on your build. Sounds like, you have all the tools to get it done.
Old Thu 27 April 2017, 02:56
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Welcome Aboard! I do believe there are a few MM builders in the UK and I'm sure someone would lend a hand.
Old Thu 27 April 2017, 03:23
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome aboard!!
Old Fri 28 April 2017, 06:45
Dangle_kt
Just call me: Dangle

Lancashire
United Kingdom
Plans bought... BOM forming slowly
Old Sat 06 May 2017, 10:49
jim coggan
Just call me: jim

york
United Kingdom
got a 10ft x 5ft frame for sale if interested, had to move out of my workshop so just dismantled mine, am in east yorks
Old Tue 16 May 2017, 04:17
sphericos
Just call me: David

Suffolk
United Kingdom
I am not very local but happy to answer anything i can.
Old Fri 09 June 2017, 13:05
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Hi Dangle

If your ever down this end look me up. Always willing to help if I can.
Good luck with your build.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read