MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Sat 21 November 2009, 22:29
cab. guy
Just call me: Ron

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Ron's Spin - MM inspired

Is this a mechmate?No it is not blue.No it does not have Vee guides.No it does not have rack & pinion Z axis.No it does not have the standard Frame and gantry.I have seen all of these mods done on numbered MMs.I would not have built this machine without Gerald and the contributers of this web site.To all of you, I hold my beer up high.I am not a heritic, so some of you please lower your matches.At the heart of this machine is the same popular tranformer,203vs ,122pmds,columbo spindal, oriental motors,4x1 gear boxes,e-trac,ect.Gentlemen I submit to you a mechmate-Ill be it slightly modified.Ive not posted on this web site the last few months for fear of the matches.LOL . The machine was modded because of its intended use.I am a cabinet maker in Idaho. The files I run are primarly sheet goods. Please note pop up pins,aux. 5mm drill.It also auto Zs and auto squares with pause included.By the way it works great!My purpose in posting now is to offer back what was affored me in the way help.I have possibly 30 photos and all build info to share with.Once again I would like to sincerly thank all the contributers to this and a special thanks to Gerald for keeping it running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnc build job 043 (Small).jpg (34.7 KB, 1665 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 002 (Small).jpg (34.3 KB, 1657 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 005 (Small).jpg (30.7 KB, 1654 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 023 (Small).jpg (38.2 KB, 1665 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 042 (Small).jpg (25.8 KB, 1653 views)
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 02:13
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Ron, no matches, just applause - that looks very nice and very professional. That may look closer to a Multicam than a MechMate but still briliantly done.

Care to share the drawings and construction details?

ps I like the idea of the aux drilling head. lets have more details.
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 04:38
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Ron…
Nice but why not a MechMate since it is almost made for sheet goods !?
Although this machine of yours look mighty fine !
I’ll second Alan on you should share some highlights & build plans of your build so we can appreciate more of it, remember, we are DIY diehard guys, not just side watchers….
Nice & clean work….congrad, Robert
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 07:47
Castone
Just call me: Leo #41

Soddy Daisy , Tn
United States of America
Build

Very nice build , loading sheets will be a breeze on this baby.
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 08:34
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Ron,
Beautiful job.

You've built a machine that has several additional "features":

- Linear rails w/blocks
- Belt-drive transmissions
- Vacuum System
- Non-wood vacuum plenum
- Air drill
- Pop Up pins

Would you care to post some photos of the edge quality of the cuts along with the depth and move speeds. (I've always wondered whether spending a small fortune on linear rails w/blocks would be the "one" major modification that would improve edge cut quality.)
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 09:41
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Hi Alan, Good eyeball,I saw this older multicam table at a local sign co.It was simple massively rigid and of sound weight.Net table weight at aprox 1800lbs. If you elevate three of the four jack screws 1/16 of an inch,you will find the the fourth screw with
a 1/16 inch of air under it.(no discernible sag)It is a brick for all intent and purpose.The cycle time in hole drilling @ .75 sec. I can now sell my newer line boring machine.I would be happy to share any info you need.
Hi Robert,Thank you for the kind words.Ive cut signs, 6061 aluminum,cabinets and ect.Yes you are right, part of the build criteria was for sheet good convenience- thus table design ,pop up pins, aux drill.The heavier weight and stiffness of the table combined with linear guides afford us quick file times without giving up resolution.The true cost of electricity = How long does it take to get the files cut? In our case our cnc ,dust collection,10 hp becker pump x hrs. per month.
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 10:28
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Mr. Richards,Thank you,I have read your posts over the last couple of years and found them to be quite helpful as well as inspiring.When I get back to the shop I will see If I can get some decent pics based on dxf specifications.Your comment regarding rail costs -yes expensive. 4x8 with x y z axis about $3,000 usd for thk brand. Hiwin would be much less with same quality. I'm using 25mm size all round.Your suspicion regarding cut quality, I believe to be true. Look at the contact surface per guide approx 4"? multiply x 4 per axis.This should help with harmonic dampening as well preventing up lift and downward force and of course side to side as well.Oh by the the way Mike ,how about those Boise broncos. This must surly draw fire! lol
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 10:59
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Ron

How did you go about keeping the two main rect tubes square, parallel and in the same plane with all the welding required, and of course following on from that the mounting of the linear rails to ensure all is correct? I know when Multicam makes a machine like that they place it in huge oven to stress relieve it and then place the whole table on a monster milling machine to machine mounting areas for the linear rails and table panels, now I don't see a monster like that in your garage so what clever DIY system did you come up with?
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 11:43
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Ron,

Your Broncos are running strong this year, but my Cougars are having a great season. When they get that last big win over the Utes, their pre-bowl season will be one of their best.
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 12:20
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Alan, the beauty of working with 3/8 walled box tubing is that it is far less sceptical to movement during the welding process.I spent too much time in the welding process looking for movement yet not finding any.I had intended to bake the machine the machine after weld, but then realized that this specific build was not prone to stress movement, it was a consensus.It is true that most machines do need heat treatment because of the steel design.When I delivered the table to the monster milling machine, I was pleased to find I was within 1/64 " on plane prior to milling key-ways for rails. Thk rails from memory allow for .005 slop, I measured ours @<.001 The construct of the table was fairly easy using cynder blocks with a deck of playing cards for shims.I used a builder transit 30 feet back to reduce error in leveling beams.Moving the table? It was easy jack it up ,drive a flat bed trailer underneath it.I almost fogot the mill cost was $300.Heres a pic Alan.
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 16:51
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Alan heres a few more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnc build job 001 (Small).jpg (33.3 KB, 1617 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 010 (Small).jpg (27.9 KB, 1616 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 011 (Small).jpg (32.3 KB, 1606 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 045 (Small).jpg (47.5 KB, 1599 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 032 (Small).jpg (24.6 KB, 1590 views)
Old Sun 22 November 2009, 23:56
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Absolutely beautyfull.

Claus
Old Mon 23 November 2009, 02:02
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Fantastic, keep them coming...
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 03:37
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Hey Alan, Did you continue using auto square?I did not have much choice by my design.It works great,but hate giving up valuable inputs.You were right it takes two.You studied Alternative table designs ,what led you down that path?It would be nice to send higher res photos.If you were interested in the drill make -up ,I could share the parts break down & some better photos. cost about $500 for make-up.
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 13:09
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Ron

No not using auto squaring yet - still dont have limits/proxies mounted - Doing manual squaring like Gerald describes - position car and gantry hard against the stops and switch on the drives (of course having made 100% sure that the gantry is square to the table and the stops are correctly adjusted) then do a G28 to take me to the 0,0 position.

With regards to table designs, no particular reason, but have always liked the Multicam design for the clean look and easy access to all sides of the table. Unfortunately that design does not lend itself to easy all over the world fabrication like the MechMate does - just getting the linear bearing mounting area milled in Cape Town would cost almost as much as the whole machine cost to build, never mind the exhorbatant cost of the linear rails and cars. However I see no reason why the MechMate rail system wont work on your table design - for the X axis at least. The Y axis has still got me scratching my head

More details on the drill arrangement will be much appreciated.
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 17:18
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Alan,
I see practical challenges are a global problem.To limit cost and eliminate milling, a person could use I-beams with 25mm Hiwin brand rails as a direct mount on X axis with much success. This has been done many times.In fact Kevin L. account member built his that way.I bet I could get X axis rails and shoes for about $1300. Y axis could be vee rollers no problem.

There seems to questions about performance. My steel gantry complete weighs 400lbs +/- 5lbs. The pinion gears are 1.5 diametrical pitch. The transmissions are 4 to 1. With a pk299 motor (OM) accel to 35 inches per sec. With pk2913 up to 65 inches per sec before misstep. Its very fast.Most of my f speed is at 500 inches for normal work.

Here are some more pictures of the Z head. If you decide that you want to move forward on this I can get you part #s and dimensions to save you time.The air solenoid uses 12vdc. drill is IR .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnc build job 058 (Small).jpg (32.7 KB, 1487 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 070 (Small).jpg (37.0 KB, 1478 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 072 (Small).jpg (30.4 KB, 1470 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 074 (Small).jpg (41.4 KB, 1474 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 075 (Small).jpg (36.9 KB, 1476 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 078 (Small).jpg (31.7 KB, 1465 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 055 (Small).jpg (32.7 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg cnc build job 056 (Small).jpg (32.3 KB, 1465 views)
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 17:55
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
I like the foot/leg arrangement. White is a nice finish till it gets not white.

Finally, how do you perform sheet loading??
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 20:26
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Besser,

My Australian brother, The only real football, is played here in America by 32 NFL teams.I personally honored your country by naming my machine TAZ short for tasmanian devil, you know (Sarcophagus Harisii).I m personally beside myself that you did not acknowledge this great honor to your beloved state icon.Alright enough teasing.

Color is a slave to function. Easy sheet loading is done by using a rolling table loaded with sheet goods along side a machine.Sheet by sheet is then slid onto the table as you would slide cards from a deck. The then sheet good would contact the pop up pins for exact location.retract the pins start file.
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 21:00
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Mike,
We strive to get better given the deck were served,good luck go cougars.

Hey can you forward suggestions on what performance tests would be helpful for comparison use. Mdf? type of bit? tool path? feedspeed? It was an after thought .Thanks Ron.
Old Wed 25 November 2009, 22:20
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ron, I would suggest that you turn the gas spring "upside down". . . . there is a little bit of oil in the barrel and it needs to lie against the neck seal for it to be of any use.
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 08:03
Besser

Vic
Australia
Mate, us Ozi's dont need sissy padding when we play football ( something about hitting a player and hearing his ribs break that makes Ozi rules tough) and we also kick the ball alot unlike your game, maybe we could call yours....chasy chasy or tiggy. I do follow Tampa Bay Buccaneers (since I was 6), god knows why, they sux.

As to that Tasy Devil, it's the state icon for Tasmania not my state. They're unfortunately almost dying off due to an extreme facial cancer that seems to spread like a virus. You may need to adjust your logo. (Have I got ya steaming yet? mate just working you up, I love you yanks)

Australia has heaps of deadly animals both on the land and in the water to pick from. My favorite is the whitepointer shark seconded by the man-o-war jellyfish, they say you should smile whenever meeting these cos you never will again. Just coming into snake season now so the browns and blacks will be happy to kill ya before you can get in the water. I've always wondered, if a black snake swallowed a redback spider, would the snake die as quickly as a human would if bitten by the same type redback spider? You see wrestling crocs is childs play downunder.

Great White (yes they can pick you out of a boat, tourists laugh when I warn them not to hang over board)

Bluebottle (our local name for it)

Australian Snake (the following is a great bedtime read)
http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/shorter/story.htm

Redback Spider (always check your shoes are empty in the morning)
http://www.csiro.au/resources/Redback-Spiders.html
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 08:07
Besser

Vic
Australia
Have a nice trip

Old Thu 26 November 2009, 08:53
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Yes, Oz is full of some mean creatures, and their wildlife is pretty scary too
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 10:57
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Besser,

Behold, A picture of the great American bull.Feared and admired around the world.As you approach he thunders causing women to faint and children to seek cover.You never stare him down , for he is no ordinary bull,many a matador have been claimed.We brave American men saddle up and ride these beast daily.There not much for jumping ,but they do carry on with much speed.On occasion we ride two up,I tell the passenger not to lean to far off the side,as they could be struck by an oncoming herd.They too think I'm joking ,but that would require a sense of humor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h-d 012 (Small).jpg (66.8 KB, 1468 views)

Last edited by cab. guy; Thu 26 November 2009 at 11:14..
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 21:17
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Gerald ,
Your are correct , and its exactly this kind of incompetence that I find intolerable.The problem I have is that at.75 cents an hour I'm not sure who to replace myself with?
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 21:42
Besser

Vic
Australia
Nice ride!
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 21:43
Besser

Vic
Australia
Those pods look like they could hold a lot of bootleg.....ON ICE!
Old Fri 27 November 2009, 08:56
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
4 six packs to be exact.
Old Sun 29 November 2009, 18:43
Besser

Vic
Australia
WOW that's perfectly balanced to the distance one tank of Gas will get you. Some very intelligent design going on there!

Thought of fitting an Automatic Tool Changer to your table?
Old Tue 01 December 2009, 03:35
vishnu
Just call me: vishnu

Coimbatore(TN)
India
Hi Ron,

Nice machine, can you post some videos of your machine. whats the size of the huge tube that has been used and what was the budget of your machine.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read