MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Mon 15 August 2011, 02:36
NT Unique
Just call me: George

Northern Territory
Australia
Howd'y

Hi Guys

Was forwarded this link from a friend after having a gripe about cutting custom shapes on plate alloy.

A quick run down on me and my business. My name is George, was a heavy diesel mechanic for 12 years before I threw in the towel. Have started up my own custom fabrication business, been going for over four years now and things are starting to get busy. I seem to have settled on making custom plate boats. Only a small range for now, but this helps keep costs down. I am a little excited at the prospect of maybe making my own CNC router table as currently am cutting shapes out by hand, I'm over it.
Whats the general consensus on this machine, would I be able to make one 1300wide x 2500 long that could handle cutting 6mm high tensile plate alloy?
I get all my 9000mm sheets cut by the suppliers as they have a huge CNC router.
You'll probably get alot more posts from me as I'm a bit knowledge thirsty

Cheers
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 07:47
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the forum. Just do lots of reading as most questions have been fielded before. As far as size you can make that size no problem. Many have cut Aluminium with their MechMate. I'll let others talk on the thickness cutting but I am pretty sure 6mm would not be an issue.
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 19:00
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
G'day George

Have a look through the list of complete builds, I believe there was a machine here some time ago constructed for the same purpose and 6m long. If I find it quickly I'll add it to the bottom of this but have a look you are not the only person thinking this.

Here it is http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752

Last edited by shaper; Mon 15 August 2011 at 19:01.. Reason: Found thread
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 19:52
NT Unique
Just call me: George

Northern Territory
Australia
Thanks guys

I've been doing a bit of reading. Wow there is alot if info to take in. I'm sure I'll get to it, just strapped for time at the moment.
As for cutting plate ally I'm glad to hear that it has and is being done. Cheers
Old Mon 15 August 2011, 20:16
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome George!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts