MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 27 April 2009, 15:02
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
What is a "charge" pump?

I have recieved my PMDX-122. in the manual there is consderable discussion on the "charge pump ". in all the threads I have read here the "charge pump" is only briefly mentioned. I still do not have an good understanding of what this is or does and would like to know what it is and does or even if i should be concerned about the "Charge pump "circitury

thanks in advance

al drouin
Old Mon 27 April 2009, 16:22
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Al,

The charge pump is used with the Mach 3 software. Go to the Mach3 website and you can learn in detail about it there.
Old Mon 27 April 2009, 20:54
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Al the basic purpose of the charge pump is to keep the machine from moving if it is not reporting to mach3. Safety, safety, safety.
Old Mon 27 April 2009, 21:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The parallel port on PC's give false signals during a PC's startup - the charge pump prevents false moves and spindle starts while booting the PC and before Mach3 has taken control of the parallel port.

The charge pump is a signal from Mach3 that charges a capacitor on the PMDX. If Mach3 is not running, the capacitor drains down. The PMDX will only allow the motors to turn if the capacitor is charged, ie. only when Mach3 is actually running.
Old Mon 16 November 2009, 06:40
mordalez
Just call me: MUG

krk
Poland
Does charge pump work opposite way (stops Mach 3 coordinates when machine is out of power) ? I have problem with power, when other machines (electrical motor) in workshop is starting I sometimes have my control box shut down due to do low power (or some electrical noise ?), but PC keeps working. Real coordinates and mach coordinates are then mismatched. I'm looking for way to stop Mach when machine stops I wonder if it's possible with charge pump.
Old Mon 16 November 2009, 08:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I do not know how your control box is designed, but if it is a typical control box, it sounds like your e-stop contactor/relay is opening when the supply voltage is low. How low does the voltage go when another motor starts up?
Old Tue 17 November 2009, 10:07
mordalez

krk
Poland
Yes I have MM typical control box (except from door isolator switch). I don't know how low voltage goes, would have to check somehow... I'm not good in electrical stuff at all.

I'll add some more details:
When I have this power issue everything looses power: geckos and it shuts even VFD (I have 5,5 kW motor as spindle), but any other machines in workshop works fine, but those don't have such sophisticated electronics.

Which e-stop contractor you have in mind, this one in PMDX (I have only this one connected)? Or do you mean contractor that is for switching on and off control box, hmm that could be the problem (too sensitive or something?) but what can I do with it?
Thanks for answer Gerald.
Old Tue 17 November 2009, 10:27
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, I do think it is your contractor that is for switching on and off control box. You can normally buy different coils for a contactor, according to the supply voltage. Maybe you have a 300V coil and you are using it with a 230V supply - that maybe just works at 230V, but 200V could be too low.

See if you can find a label/marking giving the voltage of the contactor (It might be on a removable part (the coil) at the bottom).
Old Tue 17 November 2009, 11:28
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
That the PC is still working is due to the fact that it is powered by a switching power supply, and typical switching power supplies nowdays are so well designed (check specs) that they can run on voltages between 100-230V without sweating at all, so if it's a voltage drop or hight frequency pollution on the net, then this might disturb the BoB.

Depending how you run your BoB, you might want to check the voltage at the power supply of your bob. If you run it with a separate power transformer (like in the schematics drawen) then see if that voltages drops and how much when somebody turns something heavy on.

A second test you could do is supply to BoB with power from the USB of your computer, but make SURE you disconnect your current power supply on the BoB before connecting the USB power to the Bob. There can only be ONE power supply connected to the BoB

So steps to take are:

1) turn MM off and computer off
2) disconnect the current BoB's power supply (properly a 9VAC supply)
3) Get a USB cable and run it from your computer to your BoB
4) Turn computer on
5) turn MM on

(note: not sure of 4/5 is in the correct order, of if it matter at all.)

Then test the MM again and see if the problem is solved.

Can you run the MM on a different phase, that is if you have 3 phases run to your shop.

If the MM works again after the other machine is turned on, then it's properly the voltage drop on the BoB that causes problems.

Ries
Old Tue 24 November 2009, 08:11
mordalez

krk
Poland
Ries, It's not problem with BOB, whole box is shutting down.
Gerald, Contactor I'm using is XBS M-IS 24-40:

http://www.mixvill.hu/5/products/393
Old Tue 24 November 2009, 08:31
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
mordalez,

I thought I understood that just you where missing steps...

and that case it might be the relays on the estop that switches and thus turns the box off? (Thinking out loud)

Ries

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read