MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 13 October 2011, 08:18
kosmarnik
Just call me: Kosmarnik

Zagreb
Croatia
Typical BOM cost for building a MM in EU?

Hi!
I'm pretty much set on eventually building/buying a MechMate.
Trying to get a feel for the total cost of building one in EU.
I've seen some very confusing numbers in the forum (from $6000 for materials to $3000 for a complete MM?), hence this post.

I've not yet settled on bed size, but as far as I understand, it will not influence total cost by much.

I'll take any kind of cost analysis, but would like would love one that assumes that I'll have to outsource everything besides the assembly.

Thanks!

Last edited by kosmarnik; Thu 13 October 2011 at 08:25..
Old Thu 13 October 2011, 08:36
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
It all depends on the choice in materials, electronics and so on.

Most americans use Gecko's and Oriental Motor stepper, those are quite expensive, some use leadshine, or china leadshine models of drivers, and china motors, those are somewhat cheaper than the bigger and better ones from Gecko and Oriental.

Most would be able to build a MM for around 4000$ depending on how much accessories you buy for your machine. With a normal Router motor and so, the 4000$ seems right for me, going for HF Spindels and VFD's will take you up a notch, unless you buy the China Watercooled spindle. I have one my self including the VFD, it cost me around 500$ including shipping and import tax to Denmark.
Old Thu 13 October 2011, 17:38
TechGladiator
Just call me: Miguel #94

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
I am in the process of building mine (started a few weeks ago) and I can see why there is such a variance of prices. When I was shopping around for my steel, I had quotes ranging from $1860 to $990 for the SAME qty of steel. I also had a distributor wanting to charge me $175 for delivery while other two was included on the price. As you can see, that's almost half the price for the same thing. I think to get your machine built for $4,000 you really need to make sure you get the best pricing on just about everything. Then if you start going with spindles vs router motor you can range from a few hundred dollars to way over a thousand. I have learned one thing since I join the forums, there is not a "one size fits all" solution for everybody. Depending on what you want to do with your machine will dictate your choice of materials.

The right tool for the job is also important. When I started this project I didn't have a welder or a drill press. It was the best money ever spent. If I add that to the cost of the project we are now talking about an extra $1,100 ($800 for the welder and about $300 for the drill press).

(My $0.02 cents, or 0.01 EUR)
Old Fri 14 October 2011, 03:18
kosmarnik

Zagreb
Croatia
Thanks guys!
Though more info is always welcome as this is a big project.
Steel makes sense to get locally, but other stuff I'll have to get for around the EU/world.
Old Fri 14 October 2011, 07:55
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
All of my 3 builds cost on average 4800-7500 pending. Most of the cost difference was the 2300.00 cost for a spindle, VFD and other new computer.

Otherwise, A router based machine with a "found computer" was basically 5K +/-
That was 2007-2009 dollars. It will cost more now for steel and wire.
Old Fri 14 October 2011, 12:42
kosmarnik

Zagreb
Croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Otherwise, A router based machine with a "found computer" was basically 5K +/-
Computers, that, I have
You say ram, I say how much, so-dimm, dimm, sdr, ddr, ddr2, ddr3?
Old Fri 14 October 2011, 17:12
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
any computer... it only needs to run 1 program. Mach3. heres the min requirements for that.
* 32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Operating System (64-bit will not work)
* 1Ghz CPU
* 512MB RAM
* Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM
* Basic Computer Skills (ability to copy/rename files, browse directories, etc)

the extra computer needed is rather trivial, the other electronics are what are going to set you back.
Old Fri 14 October 2011, 20:27
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I have used an HP small form factor P4 based, Windows XP pro with 512meg ram and 40 Gig hard drive comfortably for years. Install the separate LPT1 card for the printer....you really want that isolated off the mother board when things go wrong. I bought these as lease refurbs for under 150 bucks.
Old Sun 16 October 2011, 17:50
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
From what I see, doing updates on the operating system is NOT a good idea once you get it running. Actually I am considering not having an internet connection and bringing files to the machine once things are running using USB keyfob instead of internet downloads or sharing files.

Still another computer (probably elsewhere) I would probably use for 'drafting'/design efforts (CAD).
Old Mon 17 October 2011, 02:41
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Of all the systems used with MM, the PC can be the cheapest & most of us have them for free... or almost free...
Seriously, I feel like a fool when I have to do the CAD/CAM (especially designing) sitting on a pile of saw dust or raining wood dust.... There are just way too many comfortable place for that...
Old Mon 17 October 2011, 12:59
kosmarnik

Zagreb
Croatia
I agree. Disable any and all updates and what not. Disable internet access at router level.
I would however still let it go on the local network as it's much easier then sneakerneting.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts