MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 08 August 2011, 15:10
adsiv@vodamail.co.za
Just call me: Adrian

Durban
South Africa
New member of forum

Hi everyone

My name is Adrian
I am Durban South Africa

This is a great Forum . I need to know if this cnc router can be used to make mouldings on 16mm supawood for the production of foilwrapped veneer doors.

Regards

Adrian

Last edited by adsiv@vodamail.co.za; Mon 08 August 2011 at 15:17..
Old Mon 08 August 2011, 16:23
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Yes!, plus virtually anything else you could care to try, have a look around at some of the finished, already cutting machines and in the showroom.
Old Mon 08 August 2011, 18:18
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the group!!!
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 02:28
adsiv@vodamail.co.za

Durban
South Africa
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the coordial reception. Alan its good to know you are based in South Africa. Could you please tell me in sa rands what this machine would cost approximately if we build it ourselves? Are all the components readily available in SA? Can the the machine be used for Industrial production of foilwrap doors . Will a yield bed size of 3000 mm x 1830mm be advisable or should we stick to a bed size of 3000mm x 1300mm as most foilwrap rolls come in 1300mm width? I have a fair knowledge of welding and working with metal components.

Ps. To all Ladies on the forum "Happy womans day"
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 02:49
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Adrian, we are a few South Africans that have finished our machines.
A lot of what you need is available in SA. Greg from www dot cncdirect dot coza and myself www dot cncimport dot coza can supply you with steppers, drivers, bob etc.
The rest you make yourself. This machine is ADDICTIVE so watch out, you are warned.

Cost to build ?//// anything from R 30 000.00 to R 100 000.00 all depends on you.
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 03:49
adsiv@vodamail.co.za

Durban
South Africa
Hi kobus Thanks for your prompt reply. and the motivation to forge ahead with this venture.
Please advise me where to start. How do you source the plans for the machine? I am very eager to start with this project. I am a wood fanatic with a little bussiness interest. the thought of building my own cnc router is awsome!! considering the cost you have to outlay from local woodworking machine retailers. Please let me know if anyone out there has mechanical plans to build a foilwrapping machine in SA.
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 05:58
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Plans can be bought here on the forum or through my online store.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376

or

http://www.cvsupply.com/servlet/the-MechMate/Categories
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 14:25
adsiv@vodamail.co.za

Durban
South Africa
Hi Gerald

Thanks for introducing us to such a fantastic project. I was wondering as i am also based in SA . I wish to make a machine that will take a Bison sized mdf board which is approximately 1830mm x 2750mm. I have noticed that your first machine was made according to these dimensions. Will i be correct in assuming that the plans dimensions (if i do go ahead) will be based on these dimensions . If yes can you estimate what the machine will cost me if i had to make this machine in Durban.
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 14:49
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Adrian,
Gerald is the founder, designer and mentor - but retired from the MM project. There are many SA members. Feel free to start a build thread and blokes will chime in.

The MM project is a learning experience and journey to make your own Professional CNC machine with DIY tools and methods. Much of what the machine will cost will depend on your personal efforts.

Research and reading is required.

Welcome to the MM forum and best of luck with your build.

Sean
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 15:07
adsiv@vodamail.co.za

Durban
South Africa
Sean,

Thanks for that motivating support. I need the encouragement desperately!!

Regards

Adrian

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read