MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 28 March 2014, 16:44
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Just wanted a second opinion?

Just wanted a second opinion before I apply power, to make sure I have not made a rookie mistake in my understanding?
For reference, I am in the US and planning on running 220vac single phase to the input side of the transformer. It is my understanding that I should connect L1 to Red of winding 1, Black from winding 1 to Red from winding 2 and Black from winding 2 to L2. I would not be using neutral at all and then would run ground to control box, machine etc.

On the output side, Blue and Blue together and run that to one of the AC's on the rectifier. And connect Green and Green together and run that to the other AC on the rectifier. Then the + of the rectifier to the + of the first capacitor and the - from the rectifier to the - of the first capacitor. Then + of the first capacitor to the + of the second capacitor and then on to the drive. And the - of the first capacitor to the - of the second capacitor and then on to the drive.

Here is a crude drawing as well;

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS wiring.jpg (55.6 KB, 186 views)
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 02:18
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Theoretically correct.
In practice, it is a good practice to do it differently on the output side,
1) tie the green wires together & join the common point to a single wire, Lets call this single wire the GREEN.
2) tied blue wires together & join the common point to one end of a single wire, lets call it BLUE wire
3) Twist the GREEN & BLUE wire
4) connect the loose end of GREEN & BLUE to the AC terminals of the Rectifier, AC terminals has no polarity.
On the input side,
L1 & L2 are twisted together.

PS, if the green & blue wires from the tranny is long, twist the green/blue pairs.

Last edited by KenC; Sat 29 March 2014 at 02:21..
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 10:46
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Thanks Ken
I hope to have PS and kitchen project done this weekend!
Although I told my wife Gerald said that this was a project that you could do on your kitchen table...she said "No it wasn't"?
I am heading out to the shop!
Mark
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 20:48
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I get that too, but now my machine is done its more like when are you going to make ____?
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 17:44
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Well, some good news to report (and some not good news, in my under construction post).
The good news is, the Power Supply is built and seems to be working great.
Expected output of 56VDC was measured at 55.4. No signs of smoke!
Mark

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read