MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 05 March 2010, 13:02
gooberdog
Just call me: Chuck

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
The Y-car is welded - Kansas City MO USA

I have taken the first step and it looks like i am beginning my new journey. I think the MechMate meets all of the criteria I had set out to obtain. Planning on having 5'x8' (1524x2438) capacity. This will also be my first attempt at a primarily metric project ( as far as local vendors allow ). And Ford Blue is one of my favorite colors, another good sign.
Old Fri 05 March 2010, 13:04
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Chuck! If you like blue, then this is the place to be.
Old Fri 05 March 2010, 16:38
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome - We are looking forward to your build !!!
Old Sat 06 March 2010, 02:40
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Welcome Chuck. Have fun with your build
Old Sun 07 March 2010, 17:14
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdog View Post
This will also be my first attempt at a primarily metric project ( as far as local vendors allow ).
Chuck: Welcome to the project. Nice to see someone in the middle!

I found that my local ACE store had all the metric fasteners I needed and it is really easier to build a MechMate in Metric so you don't have to convert the plans. Mine is a mixture and when I build the next one it will be pure Metric.

Good luck and please send pictures.

Joe
Old Sun 07 March 2010, 22:52
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
I bought my fasteners here... http://www.boltdepot.com/
delivered to the door.
wish there was one over here...
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 00:18
max.elliott
Just call me: Max

Kansas City
United States of America
I'm over in Raytown and I'd love to visit and stick my nose into your build sometime. Let me know if that's ok?
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 07:39
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Max, once I have more than dreams in the shop you are more than welcome to come visit. First I will need to get some steel.

Thanks for the BoltDepot source. Always good to have more options to price shop.

I have my notebook of plans and have started my BOM. Better do my taxes and get some more working capital (Hope, Hope).

I appreciate everyones support and well wishes. This is a project that different viewpoints to avoid making short sighted mistakes.

Thank you for your contributions to my project.
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 20:38
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I think we have a few in KS MO doin builds.
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 20:53
max.elliott

Kansas City
United States of America
there's one new thread from "New guy in KS" and one in Lenexa, which is 30 mins away on the KS side of the city.

Edited because I can't spell.
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 21:03
Drad98_98
Just call me: Dave #52

Fort Ripley, MN
United States of America
Chuck,
Another good resource for bolts and hardware is Fastenal, not sure if you have one close but they all the metric you will need.
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 21:20
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Yep, we have Fastenal. And there is always McMaster-Carr
Old Mon 08 March 2010, 23:19
max.elliott

Kansas City
United States of America
There's a Harbor Freight over in Independence. For the grinder, grinding disks, and associated tools.

Last edited by max.elliott; Mon 08 March 2010 at 23:27.. Reason: left some info out.
Old Wed 10 March 2010, 15:35
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
I agree that HF has it's place, I have not had satifatory experiances with grinders or disks though.

My Miller 212 arrives tomorrow to replace my old Clarke 110V mig

I have ordered the lasercut and bent parts from Metalhead

I think I am being lured into the belt reduction drive camp

That is all for today
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 07:48
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Got the parts from MetalHead and as I said in another post I am impressed.

Neither of my grinders will fit up to the skate, so I bought the $39 Ryobi 5.5 amp grinder and along with a bunch of bolts I have the skate almost assembled. The skate attaches to the grinder with 4mmX0.7 25mm bolts. I need to drill out the 12mm bolts to mount the bearings and I will have this step done.

The new MIG is so much sweeter than my old 110V model. I had forgotten how simple MIG welding was.

I have the Y-car dry fit and the welding order printed out. Countersink some holes and it is time to actually make something.
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 22:15
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You'll love the MIG - I have an older 135 with a spool gun and a 252 dual control machine. I use them both depending on the need.
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 07:08
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
The Y-car is welded. I do have one corner raised up 4-5mm but that can be corrected easily enough. It would have helped to have a table I could work on, but I don't like the idea of welding on my tablesaw that much. All in all, piece of cake.

You are right Mike, the welder is a joy. it is great to be back using quality welders. I used to use a Hobart Linear II with a 25ft hose with push and pull motors, easy to get spoiled. My 110V MIG really tried my patience, everything had to be just right or it would jam up. And you were never sure if you were getting good penetration.

Still sourcing the steel for the table, guess I'll try drilling the eccentric bushings next.
Old Wed 17 March 2010, 14:24
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Ordered the V rollers kit from Rick at Superior $248.16 USD plus shipping

waiting on steel and rack quotes
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 20:44
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Rack ordered from Standard Steel Specialty $30/6ft rack www.stdsteel.com
Old Wed 02 June 2010, 17:54
gooberdog

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Oops, time for an update,
Got the motors (PK299F4.5B Oriental Motor), drives (Gecko 203V), BOB(PMDX122), power supply (Antek PS10R12).
I have my kitchen table board setup and trying to test it out. Appears that my PC won't do 25KHz to suit Mach3 but it will do the higher frequencies. Of course the demo version of Mach3 only supports 25KHz.

And I have my steel order home now.
time to start cutting and making the shop have even less free space.

Is there any standard settings to get Mach3 talking to the motors (and everything in between)? It seems that all of the literature assumes it will at least work some.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read