MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 26 February 2014, 17:25
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
On another note, anyone have experience with 0.063" cutters? Any tips would be helpful.
Old Thu 27 February 2014, 03:03
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
What type of cutter Pete?
Old Thu 27 February 2014, 04:33
pblackburn

United States of America
Here
Old Thu 27 February 2014, 06:15
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'm familiar with the company but never purchased any of their products.
Old Thu 27 February 2014, 08:48
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Pete,

I use some from skycraft and you will have to experiment. They break easily naturally. You breath on them too heavy and they break. I pay a $1 for mine so it doesn't matter if they break.
Old Thu 27 February 2014, 21:15
pblackburn

United States of America
Nils, I will see how I make out. Need to remove the copper film from copper-clad (Printed Circuit Board). The machinist I work with said he runs bits that small full out on the mill and I should not have much problem but I can not run below 6000 rpm on the spindle. I have seen chipbreakers recommended speeds of 20000 but I do not have one of them. I plan to make a true flat surface to mount the board to before trying to run this. I want to make sure I am only making a skim cuts and not hogging the material.
Old Fri 28 February 2014, 03:06
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
usually, for bits that tiny, it should be cutting at light speed. I crank it up to whatever my VFD can give. 400hz, 24000rpm, that will do.
Old Fri 28 February 2014, 13:53
pblackburn

United States of America
Thanks Ken, I will give that a try.
Old Tue 04 March 2014, 22:05
pblackburn

United States of America
So I am waiting for a piece of wood to be glued together for me to carve. I was interested in getting another touch probe for centering on circles. I did some researching and found plans online for a probe. I only had to make some minor modifications as I think the original designer had much smaller lathe tooling. I have the metal assembly finished, now I just have to cut out the printed circuit board and order the electronics. Most was machined by a friend. I made the bearing spacer and the styli. As far as how precise the Mechmate can cut. The bearing spacer was a 2 part process. I had to machine the bottom first out of a piece of teflon and cut it out. So I had to first surface prep a piece of wood to a given height and in that area create a square to match the square cutout for the bottom half. I flipped it over and placed it in the pocket. I set my zero offset for my touch off probe to the pocket machined height of the square the cut out the other side. All the measurements are within one thousandth or less. You can get good accuracy and precision with this machine.

Touch Probe, on Flickr
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 06:18
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
That's awesome.
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 07:30
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
You da man!
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 10:51
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Well made.....
It's amazing how we appreciate nice & tight work !
Congrats !
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 11:09
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Do you have an led in there for visual feedback !? An which plans did you follow !?
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 17:20
pblackburn

United States of America
The plans I went off of are located here. Just scroll down the page to Touch Probe. Some nice other projects here as well.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 03:04
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Nice work, I like the knurling finish.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 03:34
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Can you make another on the cheap?
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 06:23
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom,
I did not have much in it other than the circuit board, ball bearings and electronic components. The rest was laying around. All told, the cost to me was less than $20. So I cannot give an accurate estimate on the cost to make one from scratch.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 06:27
pblackburn

United States of America
Andrew,
I like knurling on metal. I have a hammer made from 304 stainless (handle and head) with removable soft faces. Its weight is around 7 lbs but is the same length as a 4 lb hammer. I knurled the handle for grip.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 06:29
pblackburn

United States of America
Fox,
The electronic components were ordered the other day. It has a 3mm led for visual indication.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 06:34
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Well Pete, as long as you are willing to make us all one for 20 dollars each, the true cost is irrelevant.
Seriously, nice job, sir.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 06:55
pblackburn

United States of America
You know at that price that order is always at the bottom of the pile.
Old Sat 08 March 2014, 11:55
pblackburn

United States of America
Cut with the Mechmate, drilled with pin vises by hand.

Penny for size reference

View 1, on Flickr

View 2, on Flickr
Old Sat 08 March 2014, 12:08
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Wow!!
Old Sat 08 March 2014, 12:50
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Alright Pete, How much do you charge?
Old Sat 08 March 2014, 13:51
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
If you are interested in routing PCB's you might take a look at drillbitcity.com
They sell carbide PCB routing bits as well as drilling bits very cheaply. I have bought their drill sets for doing PCB work and they have worked very well for me. I will probably buy a set of the routing bits when my machine is running.
Old Sat 08 March 2014, 21:22
pblackburn

United States of America
Darren,
It was a joy to watch the machine cut out the PCB. I used an engraving bit to outline the traces before pocketing. I unfortunately turned a 0.005" engraving bit into a 0.015" bit because I was running to high of feed. So I had to start that section over again and set the z zero tool height with the touch of probe on the side of the table. Since I needed to hand drill I used a center drill to locate. I made a 0.005" plunge mark at the center of each point that needed drilled. That was nice to see it work so well.

Tom,
I don't charge anything for knowledge. I try to share it freely. But I am hobby only. I do some stuff for others occasionally but that is very rare and usually only for the cost of materials. Like I said before, this machine was for building my cabinets and other stuff. Even if I was willing to make this, I could not charge for it because of the proprietary and confidentiality requirements of the prints. Can only be made for personal use.

DB,
Thanks for the information. This is the first board I have made since college almost two decades ago. But I will look into the bits.

Additional shots below

Bearing spacer Top, on Flickr

Bearing spacer Bottom, on Flickr

Styli, on Flickr
Old Wed 12 March 2014, 17:05
pblackburn

United States of America
Trying to find a board for additional 24VDC IO. Would be nice if modbus, any suggestions?
Old Thu 13 March 2014, 21:54
pblackburn

United States of America
Video of circuit power test of probe HERE
Old Fri 14 March 2014, 04:23
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Great! looks like it works. I wonder how much force is required to trigger a probe and if there's a certain amount of overdrive. Did you mill the probe tip or was that a purchase item? Are you going to use it just for finding zero points and/or image cloud mapping?
Old Fri 14 March 2014, 16:56
pblackburn

United States of America
The probe tip was done on a lathe. I center drilled a stainless steel ball bearing and made the tip of the probe a slip fit for the end and set it with loctite. It takes very little force to activate. I have at times needed a better way to edge detect certain pieces. I have used an edge finder but the slowest I care to push the spindle is 1500 rpm for this type of thing since there is zero load on the motor. Normally I never go below 6000 on plastic and 8000 on wood. I am curious to find out the accuracy of it but first I need to acquire more inputs. I have all 9 of the ones available on the 126 used. I have exchanged email with Steve Stalings at PMDX and I am looking elsewhere as well. I have some limited options I can move around on the 126 but I am not sure of the direction to go yet. My brain has been loaded down with an installation of a robot at work and not much time to work on this.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts