MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 31 January 2011, 15:39
drphil
Just call me: drphil

Gainesville, Georgia
United States of America
Greetings from Gainesville, GA

Just getting started with planning actually several CNC devices. Plan a CNC router and a CNC micro cutter at the moment. Have been getting the data together for what and how. Probably going to use a variety of concepts and build techniques from a number of places. My oldest son is a freshman at GA Tech and with some input from him and internet research I have my CAD program up and running. I am using IMSI DoubleCAD XT which is FREE with no limitations on use (commercial or personal) output or time. It is almost a carbon copy of AutoDesk's CAD, so starting using it was quick with plenty of documentation. I plan on build the rest of software (CAM and G-code) and electronics portion first since the metalwork and/or woodwork/MDF work is the simplest part for me. I have a fully equipped metal and woodworking shop at home. I do have a technical background and planning on building most of the parts from scratch or from parts and stuff I already have. Please feel free to give input, ideas and opinions from your own experiences.
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 22:10
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the site. We will be watching !!
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 04:22
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
Welcome!
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 06:23
drphil

Gainesville, Georgia
United States of America
Have downloaded and installed both Mach3 and LazyCam software to start learning the software and moving items from each component. Found on ebay a stepper motor, driver, breakout board and power supply and bought it. Has 4 Nema23 steppers at 141 oz/in, all the drivers that support up to 3.0A (i think), breakout board for either 4 or 5 axies and a 36 volt 14 amp power supply. All this should be enough to build and power a smaller machine. Plan to use either the flex shaft tool or dewalt zip tool I already have. Don't think these steppers will run my 2.5 H porter cable router. Too heavy. At any rate this will let me debug my process on a smaller set-up. The whole kit was on $270 including shipping. I don't think thats too bad.
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 06:03
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
If you are building a MechMate I would not use those NEMA 23 Motors. This machine needs the NEMA 34 motors.
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 08:29
drphil

Gainesville, Georgia
United States of America
As I stated earlier, I am building a least 2 machines. This first is going to be a smaller machine that I will use either a Zip tool or flex shaft tool. I will use this to ultimately engrave and only use the flex tool. With that tool, I will use it to complete the bigger Mechmate style machine. Appreciate the input.
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 10:14
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Phil!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read