MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 02 June 2011, 03:25
r0bs
Just call me: r0bs

Brisbane (Queensland)
Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to r0bs
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
Some parts have arrived

Spindles after been ship to me 3 times each time they return to the suppler by China customs and the last time the made here

Spindles Mounts
You can order them from http://www.spindlemounts.com.

The Mechmate sizing wine bottle is in some of the photos for your enjoyment.
P.S. That's last bottle of it and now it is empty and very nice drop as well.
Paul,

Can you please tell me where you bought your Spindle from?
Also model number would be great.
I'm just starting a build in Brisbane, but trying to get pricing/supply of everything before starting.
I couldn't see that part in any of your posts?

Rob Stewart
Old Sat 04 June 2011, 00:46
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
Rob,
We bought them off Ebay the seller was love-happyshopping We started with 2x 1.5Kw and 2x 1.5Kw Huanyang. We wanted to control the spindle with Mach3. We had a lot of problems with the Huanyang inverter and replaced them with Hitachi SJ200 which after a little setup problem they work with not problems. Then then we upgraded the spindles to 2.2Kw from love-happyshopping as we have not had any problem with the spindles. Also the 1.5kw and 2.2kw spindle are same with mounting. If I was you or (myself doing it again)this is what I do

1. Spindles from love-happyshopping go with the 2.2Kw as it has a ER20 collet 1.5Kw has a ER16 Collet
2. Hitachi SJ200 or Hitachi X200 from drives warehouse
3. One of these converters USB to RS485 converter

PS I can sell you a 1.5Kw spindle and 1.5kw Huanyang inverter had nearly no use

Regards

Paul
Old Sun 31 July 2011, 05:50
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Well been busy, So here is the Arduino powered MechMate Flow and temperature Monitor proto-type running on my machine.

It interfaces to the flow sensor that was mounted earlier in the build. and also to 4 temperate sensors Holding Tank, Air, Input to Tank(From spindle), Output from tank to spindle. The Temperature sensors are a Dallas 1 wire DS18B20 and these are housed in a Stainless Steel probe which match the same size for the John Guest tubing and fittings that we used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0174.jpg (58.0 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0171.jpg (64.3 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0169.jpg (50.6 KB, 766 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0168.jpg (51.8 KB, 765 views)
Old Sun 31 July 2011, 22:31
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Cool!
Where will you mount the display?
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 05:10
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Ken and everyone else

Most likely under the table next to flow meter and pump in a case as this is a monitor to the coolant system. As we want Mach3 to display and control it in the further I'm have some problems with this but I think it is due the EMF/EMI (electrical noise) looking a fiber optics to get other this EMF/EMI issue.

Don't forget this is a proto-type will be making a Arduino shield with this on MechMate once I have it working 100% Temp is good but the flow rate needs a little bit of work.

It is always nice to have a backup system

Paul
Old Mon 01 August 2011, 05:54
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Good work Paul,

Looks like your on the right track now though, neat little read out with the info we wanted.
Keep me posted if you need a hand to kick thinks along.

Cheers
Tony
Old Tue 26 February 2013, 05:03
skippy

Queensland
Australia
School Sign

Well it's been what long time since any update so here goes

I got an atypical mycobacterium infection marine fauna in my right hand which put my right hand out of use for about a month or two. This is a very nasty infection that you can catch from the seaside or marine fish tanks if it is not diagnosed and treated promptly you can kill you.

Just got back to work and then I got vertigo which then put me off work for three months. Without being now would do anything with my machine for quite a while.

All that aside let's get on to the update

The local school which I'm part of the P&C (Parents and Citizens) which commissioned to create the sign for the new hall which has just been built. After after a vote of the kids of the school the kids voted on one of their grade 7 teachers name which is "Steve McMahon" from a raft of aboriginal names that meant meeting place or gathering places.

After a trip down to local timber yard with the P&C president we ended up on settling on a Quilla foot tread use for decking steps or other uses

The first photo you will see the first cut before all the prep work before that terrible thing called painting and sealing.

The second photo you'll see the sign seeing my front yard on milk crates just after being hosed the Quilla timber has a lot of tannins that need to be washed out of the timber before coating. The recommended time is to leave it out in the weather for 6 to 8 weeks to age naturally. This is me force ageing the timber.

You will see in the third photo that the wood is getting lighter colour this is after many wetting down with hoses

In the fourth photo you'll see a lot of difference from the first photo or second this is getting ready for painting and sealing.

In the fifth and sixth photo you can see the finished product.

After many months awaiting to fix the sign to Hall who was finally done last weekend in a working bee at the school. In the seventh photo you can see the sign mounted is a bit of packing underneath the sign above the door which will have to stay there for two weeks while the liquid nails sets and fully goes off. There is also six brad nails holding in place.

skippy (Paul)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0633.jpg (43.7 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0648.jpg (57.5 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.jpg (84.9 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0661.jpg (91.9 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701.jpg (36.4 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (38.2 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1010.jpg (42.4 KB, 452 views)
Old Wed 27 February 2013, 02:34
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Sign you say - looks more like a tree with some letters on it
Nice work and great to see one of the Mechmate twins getting a run.

Skippy the door immediately under that sign will transmit vibration up to the fixing.
Liquid nails has a habit of becoming brittle over an extended period of time and may not survive the constant challenge the vibrations will present.
Use a few stout batten or hex head fixings to secure the sign.

I'm for kids and dogs - that one is for the kids

Regard
Ross
Old Thu 28 February 2013, 01:56
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Skippy,

If there is enough liquid nails applied over the larger area of the sign, you should not have any issue with it letting go. That is of course that the surface being bonded too is strong enough. I would tend to think like Ross and be sure that stronger mechanical through fixings are used. Better safe than sorry especially when there are kids around and with such a solid and heavy piece of timber.
Looks good all the same well done.

Cheers
Tony
Old Sun 03 March 2013, 15:57
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Paul - I have contacted Steve McMahon directly.
The comments from myself and Tony deserved a response.

Ross
Old Mon 04 March 2013, 04:31
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Hi All
Sorry for no response but just getting back from being away.

Just to let you know I was not the one that set out how the sign was mounted a chippy was the one said the best way of mounting the sign after seeing in real life what we could do to mount too in the area where the sign was going. They are going to check it out then go back to remove the blocks (Packing) planks.

Regards

skippy (Paul)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read