MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 03 February 2009, 08:54
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
South Africa and Buenos Aires are in almost the same Latitude S33º so I guess the temperature ranges are similar there too. Weather.com just confirmed it for me: Cape Town and Buenos Aires

How do you heat your shop in winter?

Thanks!
Old Tue 03 February 2009, 09:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We work faster - no heating.
Old Tue 03 February 2009, 09:45
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I dont think you guys really have winter. If there is no minus in front of the temperature numbers then its just Fall.
Old Tue 03 February 2009, 15:17
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
El tamaño máximo que puede medir un vehículo en europa son 4 metros de alto por 2.60 de ancho, a no ser que sea un vehículo especial. creo que la altura de tu planta baja será de 4 metros?

Es muy común hacer un sótano cuando falta espacio. Estaría bien para poner los equipos de ruido, al final del garaje, sobre todo cuando quieres tener un garaje limpio y aseado, muchas veces sobran cosas que se pueden guardar en este sótano.

Aquí en España, se puede aprovechar la segunda planta para hacer un ático, que no ocupe mas del 45% del total de la superficie de la planta.

Last edited by isladelobos; Tue 03 February 2009 at 15:20..
Old Tue 03 February 2009, 19:09
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Sotano! Que buena idea como no se me ocurrio (Basement, what a great idea how I didn't think of it)

Mañana 9AM tengo entrevista con un Arquitecto que construye muchas casas por mi barrio para saber si es viable la costruccion que yo pretendo en el lote que tengo visto (Tomorrow 9AM I have a meeting with an Arquitect that builds houses in my neighbourhood to see if the construction that I want is possible in the lot I saw)

Le voy a comentar del sotano a ver que opina (I will tell about the basement to see what he thinks about it)

No se cuanto puede encarecer la obra, mas que nada porque la losa de cemento se hace con vigas prearmadas y es muy rapida, en cambio un sotano hay que traer maquinaria pesada para hacerlo. (I don't know how much more the construction would be, mostly because the ceiling is made with pre-made concrete pieces and its fast to build, OTOH for a basement you need heavy machinery to do it)

Mañana al mediodia lo sabre mejor. Gracias (Tomorrow midday I will know better. Thanks)

[edit] Mi idea es hacer el techo a 3.5m de altura (My idea is to make the ceiling height 3.5m )

Pablo

Last edited by PEU; Tue 03 February 2009 at 19:13..
Old Tue 03 February 2009, 19:14
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Pablo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU View Post
What would be the problem of sucking air out of the workshop? I can add a room next to the workshop toilet for that purpose, but ventilation to the outside would be complicated...

The problem with sucking air out of the workshop is that the air that is sucked out must be replaced. So the replacement air is going to come in around door seals, window seals, or how ever it can get in. If the Dust Collector is vented to the outside, it will create a "vacuum" in the workshop when it is running.

My workshop is heated and air conditioned, so I don't want to suck in cool air during the heating season or hot air during the cooling season.

As for ventilation to the outside, with the approach I took, there is no need to vent to the outside. In fact, ventilation to the outside of the workshop is undesirable.

Here's a picture of the Dust Collector room. The vent back into the workshop is above the door, but not shown in this picture. I'm sorry that I can't show you a picture with the vent. I'm out-of-town right now, and this is the only picture I have with me.
Dust Collector Room.jpg

Regards,
John
Old Tue 03 February 2009, 19:21
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Pablo & Gerald,

I'm sorry, I read Pablo's question in Post #59 and answered it before reading Gerald's Post #60.

Regards,
John
Old Wed 04 February 2009, 06:08
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
ARGH

Just came back from the meeting. Zone restrictions mandate that I can only use 16.66m of the 25m of the lot, thats due to the fact the entire block is not the usual 100x100m but 100x50 and the lot I like runs in the 50m side, so you need to leave 1/3 of the block, in the middle of it as air...

Back to searching, I hate searching properties, Im not a realtor for a reason

Pablo
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 15:59
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
D@mn Swine flu... due to the outbreak here in Argentina, the biggest wood industry expo that goes every two years was postponed till next year... I've been waiting for today since early january... d@mn... (www.fitecma.com.ar)

Im still looking for a location, not easy, land prices are too high, even with the current recessive economy. For example a 8.66x30m lot runs around 130K to 200K US dollars...

Do you guys think the saying: location-location-location its a must for a mechmate related business?

I read almost daily, the time will come when I will be able to start building my MM

cheers!
Old Tue 07 July 2009, 23:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The "location" issue has been very important in my son's business. A customer analysis showed that 90% of the income came from less than 5km away. When he needed larger premises, he could have moved 15km to cut the premises cost by 30%, but that was considered too risky.

We know of a couple of other CNC wood routing companies all over Cape Town, and they all seem to make a living off customers within 5km from them. (Cape Town has about 2 million people, in a circle of about 50km diam.)
Old Thu 08 October 2009, 15:10
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Tomorrow I will give a realtor a bid for a small lot (8.66x18.5m) not as big as I want but the location is great, its located on an well known avenue and about 10 mins from my home.
Im offering 18% less of asking price, wish me luck

Pablo
Old Thu 08 October 2009, 22:34
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Good luck, and I hope he accept your offer.
Old Sat 10 October 2009, 05:52
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Good Luck
Old Sat 10 October 2009, 07:06
isladelobos

Canary Islands
Spain
Buena suerte con ese terreno.
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 16:13
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
The other lot was trouble, today I placed an offer for a new lot, this time 8.66x29m and my offer is less agressive, only 10% less of asking price, time will tell
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 17:26
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pablo,

keep trying to find that lot,
at some point you will be lucky!

Ries
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 15:46
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
La tercera es la vencida!! (difficult to translate: the third is the one!)

I received a call from the realtor, he negotiated an 8% discount from asking price, wednesday I will deposit a guarantee and if everything goes OK, I have my new office/workshop (after buldozing it and building of course)

Fingerscrossed.
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 19:31
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU View Post
La tercera es la vencida!! (difficult to translate: the third is the one!)
In english: "The third time's a charm"
Old Sat 05 December 2009, 22:10
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Congratulation on you new acquisition. Wish you a prosperous journey.
Old Sun 06 December 2009, 00:48
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hello Pablo,

Congrats for your new aquisition.
Make it big enough so we can have the annual MM`ers meeting there.

Claus
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 10:30
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Owner!

now the fun part starts, permits/demolition/construction/moving
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 10:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Congratulations!!
Old Mon 25 January 2010, 18:53
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
The architect sent me the almost final plans, if you can read DWG, Im open to comments

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3624504/Plano%20Taller.dwg

In 1st floor at the front there is an area I demanded must be part of the project, a BBQ (Parrilla)

Garage entrance is 3.4m wide and 3.5m tall
Old Mon 25 January 2010, 19:44
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
sorry, garage is 3m wide
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 00:04
isladelobos

Canary Islands
Spain
Felicidades Pablo.

You can put stairs for one possible third floor or use the rooftop.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 01:26
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Is it normal not having a rear door to serve as fire exit?

The shop I rented has the huge 3m wide roller shuttle door, and its great for ventilation.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 02:41
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Pablo,

Wow, that is some garage.

Isn't there a lot of wasted verticle space in the garage area? Or is that the building codes for a garage in your part of the world.

Here we could have a second floor the length of the garge but you also might want the space for lifts.

Very nice. Your cars, MM and you will be very happy in that space.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 04:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Pablo, which toilets are used by the crew of delivery trucks?
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 05:03
isladelobos

Canary Islands
Spain
as discussed earlier, the trucks in Europe are 4 meters high, high, I see that the hollow of his garage door measuring 3.50 meters.

You can put two Light windows in the rooftop for save energy.

One communication windows between the garage and the top floor.

Last edited by isladelobos; Tue 26 January 2010 at 05:07..
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 05:22
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Thanks for the replies, keep in mind that this lot is in the city, so I have neighbors at both sides and at the end of the lot.

Here is a photo:

Most of what you see will go to demolition.
That box in the front is a phone pairs cabinet, I already asked for it to be removed, it takes time, but it must go, the phone company likeing or not...

Answers:

Roof: 1st floor roof and work area/garage roof are the same, parabolic with fiberglass insulation plus some policarbonate sheets every now and then to have natural light in the work area. There is no concrete 2nd floor, so no need for stairs there. Maybe in the future a 2nd spiral stair can be added so 1st floor can be accessed from the work area, but this is not planned for the time being.

Rear door: there are no rear exits, only entrances at the front, one is garage, other is walking door

Garage: The garage is the space between the offices and the lot limit, it serves as a shop entrance.

Toilets: There are toilets in the office area (both floors) and there is a work area toilet at the back of the lot, you see there 3 rooms, the middle one is the toilet, right one is locked storage room and left one is dinning area for personnel, there is no regulation here that asks for a toilet for truckers, if someone asks, he/she can use the same toilet as workers.
These 3 rooms are part of the actual building, so they will be refurbished to this new use, the bathroom is actually a bathroom too.

Trucks: if you are speaking about 20/40ft container loading trucks, the entrance area is not high enough. regarding light windows, or clear policarbonate panels as I call them, they will be used where you can see the parabolic roof, I mean, in the shop area.

Last week I purchased my first tool for the shop, an used 3phase 5.5HP oil free pendular vacuum pump, its going to be put in like new conditions by professionals since I want it to be converted from vacuum pump to compressor:

Manufacturer website: http://www.tausem.com.ar/

Pablo

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read