MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 05 January 2008, 08:25
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Southern Africa social group gathering

Gerald,

You have been missed but you deserve time off.

We are eager to see pictures and hear about the good times you had.
Old Sat 05 January 2008, 12:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Random order, no captions yet . . . . . .

Mountain Zebra (or "Kwagga") - note prominent hindquarter markings compared to finer forward markings. (Cradock)

P1040141.jpg
Folded red mountains (Oudtshoorn)

PC180004.jpg
View from Malealea Lodge (Lesotho)

PC180006.jpg
A scenic trip from house to outhouse (Lesotho)

PC180007.jpg
Farming community. Note soil erosion (Lesotho)

PC180008.jpg
Many taverns, but the spelling is problematic sometimes (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

PC180011.jpg
Typical town main street (Moyeni - Lesotho)

PC180012.jpg
This lady sells jackets and eggs (Moyeni - Lesotho)

PC180015.jpg
From the nearest road point to the Catholic Mission Station in background. (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

PC180016.jpg
On the pavement of the main road (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

PC180018.jpg
That's not sorcery - it is supposed to be surgery (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

PC180020.jpg
No, we did not stay here (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

PC190024.jpg
Main road through country village (Malealea - Lesotho)

PC190027.jpg
Some ploughing by horse, mule or oxen (Lesotho)

Our guesthouse (Franshoek Lodge - Ficksburg)

Our guesthouse (Franshoek Lodge - Ficksburg)

Old Sat 05 January 2008, 16:52
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Gerald…. These seens are just… words are missing…., breathe taking & amazing
My emotion are racing & bouncing of jealousy knowing I can’t be/go there…
Man, thanks a million. Please give us more detail about these.
Merci, Robert
Old Sat 05 January 2008, 23:16
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Wow!
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 06:48
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Gerald,

Beautiful pictures and Country. I have got to get there.

Love the craftmanship on the wooden gate
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 07:17
bbreaker
Just call me: Mickey

Galgan
France
Send a message via MSN to bbreaker Send a message via Skype™ to bbreaker
wow Gerald Nice Place to go, thank's for pictures
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 08:43
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Welcome back Gerald......Beautiful pics.
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 10:52
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
What a beautiful place. I hope y'all had a great time. I've got lots of questions about the stuff in the pictures but I'll wait until you've had time to finish catching up on all of your reading.
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 10:59
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Go for the questions Doug (and others) - my mind is still in holiday mode

Have started inserting some captions above.....
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 17:53
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

I've been a fan of the Cape Dutch architectural style since my wife brought home a travel brochure for a SA vineyard. Is that a regional style? I didn't see any examples unless that tan and white building qualifies (3 pictures above the cow and calf in the road.)

Your guest house at Franshoek Lodge - Ficksburg is beautiful. What type of roofing material is that on it? It appears to be thatch.

At the risk of sounding like a redneck from Arkansas, would you have been permitted to shoot those mountain zebra if you had happened to have a rifle in your vehicle? Do they belong to someone or are they just running wild? I realize that your wife probably wouldn't have wanted to finish the trip with a dead zebra strapped to the roof of your car so I was wondering about the laws.

While I'm on the subject, what are your gun laws like? Can you carry a pistol while traveling or on a daily basis around your home town?

In the picture above the Chinese Surgery photo, what language is that on the sign? Afrikaan?

South Africa is REALLY beautiful and I'm even more determined to visit one day.

Last edited by Doug_Ford; Sun 06 January 2008 at 17:59.. Reason: I had another question.
Old Sun 06 January 2008, 23:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Doug, some very interesting questions! It will be my pleasure to answer them bit by bit . . . .

That building is, believe it or not, a stable block for thoroughbred horses built in 1895. (Not quite "Cape Dutch", which is mostly near Cape Town). Here is the rest of the Greenfields story: http://www.greenfieldsmanor.co.za/manorhouse.php (the "home" page doesn't work - use this link as the home)

The main area of our holiday was the poorest, most mountaineous, part of the country, away from the hordes of tourists that flock to the coast in this our peak holiday season. The mainstream tourists don't visit most of the places in the photos.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 05:53
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I conceived and built the skate and gave the concept to this forum. Everytime someone grinds their rails using the skate, I feel good. Everytime someone talks about how we can modify the skate to make it better, I feel good. Everytime I see the thumbnail of my skate appear in the upper righthand corner of this forum, I feel good.

I said something in my first post I would like to say again "Thanks in advance for all the help. I see it passed out everyday on this forum, thanks".

My 2008 new years wish is, everytime someone contributes to the good of another, I hope it makes them feel good.

Gerald I hope you get these same good feelings (on a grand scale) everytime someone builds a MechMate, everytime someone wants to try to make it better, everytime someone posts a picture.

Welcome home, it's good to have you back. It's also good to be back. J.R.

ps ........ great pictures
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 06:41
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald

It is nice to have you back. Things have been slow on the board without you. It is nice to see so much chatter.

I map quested you today. I didn't realize you were so close to the end down there. The country side is very rugged and much like our Western states. The Greensfield Manor is some fancy place stuck in the wild.

Though I have not started, I am grateful to generous spirit and the others that contribute to the knowledge base of this forum. I am eager to build.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 06:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well said J.R.!

Doug, that is thatch on that roof, but the layered style is not typical of our common thatch roofs. (Franshoek info here - no, I don't play polo)

This is a well-respected thatching company: http://www.lqt.co.za/index.html - nice photo gallery
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 09:19
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Ford View Post
In the picture above the Chinese Surgery photo, what language is that on the sign? Afrikaan?
That language is supposed to be Sesotho, to be read by the Basotho people living in Lesotho. (Note prefixes Se- Ba- and Le- to the word sotho). But, it is shop sign stuff and very far from pure Sesotho.
"Jo Burg" is the common nickname for Johannesburg, an exotic city to them. "Ha" I think is "of". But the "t'sehla" seems to be "yellow man" or "lion cub" - my wild guess is that it is for "chinaman". My guess is that the store's name is "The Chinaman from Johannesburg".
LIKOBO is blanket (Sotho blankets are famous in their own right)
LICOMFOTER is probably a misspelling for comforter (duvet), a foreign concept.
LINIGHT FRILL for the foreign (to their culture) "night frill" which you guys may call something else. (pleated linen around the perimeter of a bed - only has a decorative function)

You asked about "Afrikaan(s)". The language Afrikaans (my late mother's language) is something completely different. This is derived from Dutch/German/English and the slaves imported into South Africa. (South Africa was the only country to import slaves into Africa - mainly for their skills as artisans - from Batavia, Malaysia, etc.)
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 09:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Ford View Post
would you have been permitted to shoot those mountain zebra if you had happened to have a rifle in your vehicle? Do they belong to someone or are they just running wild? I realize that your wife probably wouldn't have wanted to finish the trip with a dead zebra strapped to the roof of your car so I was wondering about the laws.

While I'm on the subject, what are your gun laws like? Can you carry a pistol while traveling or on a daily basis around your home town?
Our gun law: http://www.info.gov.za/gazette/bills/2000/b34-00.pdf

Certainly wouldn't have been permitted to shoot the zebra - not even if they didn't taste like horse. Those zebra happened to be in a national park. All larger "game" are in national parks, or private reserve areas, there are no lions in our streets. We do get baboons around this corner of Cape Town, but you are definitely not allowed to shoot them. (Also, discharging a firearm in a public place is an automatic offence)

People can carry firearms as they move around, but they must be completely covered. Generally you see very little evidence of guns here - except at the casualty department of the hospital. In my social circle I guess that less than 10% own guns. My in-laws are mostly from the northern parts and there I would guess the ownership is nearer to 80%.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 10:07
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Many of landscapes above and shrubs and bushes are alike Rajasthan,
Oh yes these both were parts of ones Gondvanaland.
Even cow/calf sitting in the middle of road looks very familier
Nice photos Gerald, Water, mountains, Zebra in wild attracts me.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 11:49
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Do you have part interest in a travel agency?

Very interesting. I'd love a thatched roof on my future Cape Dutch house but I can only imagine what the insurance rates would be.

Thanks for the info on the Zebras. After I posted my questions last night, I Googled SA safaris. They are a little out of my price range so I guess I'll have to keep buying lottery tickets and dreaming.

I also started reading about all of the languages spoken in SA. Do you speak any languages in addition to English and Afrikaans? How about the language that consists of clicks and whistles? I don't remember which one that was.

I've always been fascinated with South Africa. In the early 80s, I rented the movie Breaker Morant so many times that when I would announce my intention to rent a video for the evening, my wife would always shout, as I walked out the door, "Get anything but Breaker Morant."

One last question. Did you travel by car or bakkie?
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 12:15
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey, where did you learn about bakkies?
Travelled in a VW Touran 2-wheel (front) drive.

My two languages are only English & Afrikaans. To my regret I know more German than any of the other "official" languages of SA. (We have eleven(!) official languages). The click language is Xhosa.

Oddly enough, but I have never seen the Breaker Morant movie - will have to look for it some time!
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 13:50
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Welcome back. Wow your pictures are incredible. I really have to come visit sometime. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 19:12
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Gerald,

I found the term bakkies on a list of SA lingo. Breaker Morant is about some Brit soldiers on trial during the Boer war. Our legal instructor at the infantry school used parts of the movie to teach about the Law of Warfare. I think it was made by Australian moviemakers.
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 10:03
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald, Welcome Back where are the Pictures!

Moved from elsewhere

Gerald,
No problems, Dankie vir die moeite. (Did I get that right?)
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 10:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath you got it 100%, but I doubt if you will produce a recognisable pronounciation of "moeite". I can't think of a common english word that comes even close.
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 12:14
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
How about

mow ehh tay ?
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 12:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't think that is even close, and I am racking my dusty brain for a similar sound in common english . . . . .
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 12:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The "oei" part is vaguely similar to the center part of Louis, cooey, shoeing....a quick change from oo to ee in one syllable.

The "te" is the same as the "te" in butter
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 12:35
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
http://www.mieliestronk.com/phrase1.html
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 14:16
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
The way you are describing it, it sounds like an O with umlaut in German. Usually transliterated into oe in written language.
Old Thu 16 October 2008, 17:32
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Dit was baie vriendelik van jou.
Old Fri 17 October 2008, 06:44
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Probeer dit.

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/afr.html

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read