MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 15 March 2014, 22:46
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
Joypad versus pendant

I am curious as to what peoples thoughts are regarding a joypad versus a pendant for controlling the Mechmate. CNC pendants seem to be more traditional, but it seems a joypad would be more convenient to use.
Old Sun 16 March 2014, 02:03
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Alot seem to use wireless Xbox controllers, there are drivers available on the Mach site. I know I will be using one when the time comes.
Old Sun 16 March 2014, 03:13
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I rely on a wired joypad. Wired.. because an emergency stop needs to be wired imo... and wireless can act up, and if it does can ruin your job/machine/body...
Great program to use is joytokey, you can hook up any key of your keyboard.

Last edited by Fox; Sun 16 March 2014 at 03:16..
Old Sun 16 March 2014, 08:40
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
The visual feedback on a pendant is nice though. Then again you can buy a lot of joysticks for a pendant like that.
Old Sun 16 March 2014, 08:47
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Pete,
I did not realize that. At least the cheap ones on ebay, did not seem to show a display.
Old Sun 23 March 2014, 18:14
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
The wiring continues

Continued pulling cable this weekend. The X1,X2 and Y steppers are wired and cables pulled to the cabinet. Also The X1,Y1 estops and proximity switches are wired in. I need to pull and attach cables for the X2 proxy and the Z-stepper. After those are pulled I can start wiring things up in the control panel. I hope I do not need to pull anymore cable. Things are getting a little cramped in the e-chain.

I also had to make some brackets to hold the connectors for the steppers. The bracket can be seen attached near the stepper below. In the center of the picture is a jig I threw together to hold the plug side of the connector so I can solder it. It is an extra cable gland that fortunately fits and a wooden dowel on the other end holds a neodymium magnet.

I also ordered a cnc pendant off of ebay. After watching a few youtube videos of those in use, I decided that a pendant would give me more control than a joypad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holder_jig_small.jpg (87.5 KB, 456 views)
Old Sun 23 March 2014, 18:37
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
You are close!!
Looking great!!
Old Sun 23 March 2014, 19:01
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Yeah, Looking real good!
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 18:27
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Cable trying to pull out

I have continued with wiring today. I worked on getting the proxy switches and switches terminated at the terminal blocks.

I have noticed that one of the stepper motor cables is trying to pull itself out. As I move the gantry back and forth, the X1 stepper cable(the one of the e-chain side) starts working itself out. The other cables seem to be stable. X1 was the first cable I ran, so it sits at the bottom of the cable run.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Should I try using something like talcum powder to lubricate the cables inside the chain so they slip past each other a little better?

Last edited by dbinokc; Sat 29 March 2014 at 18:29..
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 22:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Cable tie the cable to the cable chain
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 22:32
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Is tying the cable to the cable chain a standard procedure?
Old Sat 29 March 2014, 23:29
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
It solved my problem
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 05:49
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
On the industrial machines I've used, the cables are tied where they enter and exit the chain, not within the chain itself. Typically the end pieces of the chain have provisions for tying the cable to them.
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 15:49
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I normally tie them on one end only
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 19:46
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
First Stepper Motion

Did more wiring today. Ran the wiring for the 120V E-stop circuit. I am waiting on hooking it in until I get some DIN rail mountable fuseholders.

I could not wait any longer though and decided to see a stepper move for the first time. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Q_hzK4hm4

The only thing that caused me problems was getting the step pin and the direction pin reversed in the mach3 configuration. I really need to get those X-Rails welded!
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 02:51
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Just couldn't wait could ya?
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:10
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Couldn't wait on the remaining three steppers either. Hooked those up last night. Got to see the Z-axis move up and down for the first time. I also hooked up the pendant. That is going to be nice to have. Might have a go at attaching the Y-rack tonight so I can see Y move.
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:23
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Pretty cool feeling, huh?
Bites of the elephant....congrats!!
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:28
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Assemble the quartet!

Getting there!
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 06:37
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
That's funny, Ken...
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 08:25
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
My son is on his way with his violin...be there soon
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 21:54
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Y-Axis moving

Got the Y-Axis powered up today. You can see a short video of it and also the pendant at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-7W_UE8A4

I think that is all I will really be able to do in the evenings this week. This weekend I will finish wiring in the e-stops, proxy and weld up the x-racks. Hopefuly I will have all axes under power by the end of the next weekend.
Old Wed 02 April 2014, 01:18
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
This is one of the greatest mile stones in MM building journey.
I feel your excitement

ALMOST THERE!!!
Old Sat 05 April 2014, 18:36
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
X-Axis moving

Wired in the e-stops and proximity sensors today. Also spliced the extra 6 inches of length to the X-racks. The welds are not pretty, but they will do. After a little bit of configuration in Mach3, I got the x-axis moving. Video at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7iJpCtsdBQ

I still need to configure the proximity sensors inputs for Mach3. I also noticed that one of my gantry wheels is running about a half millimeter off the rail center. So I will need to shim that out a little. Obviously I need to do some configuring of the step rate, but I will leave it slow for now until I am sure that everything is behaving nicely. Less chance of crashing something.

Next big step is to work on getting the spindle mounted to the Z-axis and wiring up the VFD. I hope Mike gets me those Mechmate logos mailed soon. I would hate for that to be the only thing stopping me from getting a serial number.
Old Sat 05 April 2014, 18:57
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Sounds like a wind-up toy.
Old Sat 05 April 2014, 19:00
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
LOL. I had not thought of it that way!
Old Sun 06 April 2014, 13:02
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Chinese spindle mounting block.

Took a closer look at my chinese block of aluminum spindle mount. There is not a square pair of surfaces on that block. I would have been better off if they had sent me a raw casting without the spindle hole bored out. Then I would have had some room to square up the surfaces and bore an inline hole.

As it stands now, it looks like I would have to make a mandrel to mount the spindle block onto to get everything referenced to the bore.

Still trying to decide if I want to try and make this mounting block work or go with a different mounting method.
Old Sun 06 April 2014, 14:10
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I made my own, copied one from someone on the forum. Mine still has the material info on it, doesn't matter, it works.
Old Sun 06 April 2014, 15:07
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Below is a pic of what I am trying to accomplish. I already planned on making several modifications to the mount. There are mounting ears that would not clear the guide wheels. So those would be cutoff in addition to cutting some extra relief. I was also going to cut the mount in half to space out the support.

Relative to the mounting surface, the bore of the mount deviates about .2mm over 80mm. Not great, but I can live with it. A 1/4 inch bit would be out of level in that direction by less than .001 inch. Side to side though, the bore deviates by roughly 2mm from any usable reference surface.

What I need to do is figure out the line of the center bore to drill my mounting holes. Get these off and the spindle will not be square to surface and no way to shim it out.

Actually as I am typing this, I think I have way to handle it. I will go ahead and made the modification I planned. I will get one hole drilled. Then mount the spindle, mount and z-axis rail to the mill. Then I can align to the spindle and drill a starter hole. That hopefully will take care of the side to side alignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zaxis_assembly.jpg (51.2 KB, 270 views)
Old Sun 06 April 2014, 17:31
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
I finally figured out how to get the center line. Pic of the layout setup below.

Basic steps. Lay spindle with mounts on surface plate. Lock down the mounts. Mount spindle in V-block and make sure mount is now perpendicular using angle block. Measure top of spindle, subtract off 80mm/2 or 40mm. Mark center line.

Just another day of building a mechmate!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout_small.jpg (99.2 KB, 266 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read