MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 November 2010, 04:48
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
John

I'm using the same combination of motors and driver as you and definitely have a noise when powered, enabled but not moving, not sure I'd describe it the same way but it's there no doubt.

You can buy spare modules off gecko obviously, I had to do this also as I damaged one of the drives also (I'm clumbsy and those tuning trimpots are delicate). If you bought from gecko and the freight isn't rediculous then it may be worth returning to have it checked, in my case the cost to freight and return was more than the drive. so decided it was not worth the effort.
Old Wed 17 November 2010, 15:20
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
Yep, stuck an order in, its already with Fedex.

Should have ordered 2, shipping would be the same but didn't think of it until now

Rummaging around trying to find a male/male db25 printer cable. Rare as rocking horse manure around these parts. I may end up having to cannibalise two centronics printer cables. Just need to check if any wires are crossed in a standard cable.

John
Old Wed 17 November 2010, 17:19
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Yep, sounds like you smoked the driver. Here in the US, we would call Gecko, and they'd get us a replacement on the way. You may want to look into that, or just buy a replacement if there's someone local that sells them.

Rapid clicking, no - unless it's so rapid that it sounds high-pitched. That sounds more like overcurrent limiters cutting in. Do you have the current set resistor in place across pins 5 and 9 of the DB9?
Old Wed 17 November 2010, 22:02
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Brad/John

Mine is the high pitched version, I have 3.3k resistor cross pins 5 and 9, like I said wouldn't describe it quite the way john has but I can see how you could get there.
Old Thu 18 November 2010, 03:13
jwt
Just call me: John

Wexford
Ireland
Its high pitched, I'll record it if I can

No resistor yet, g540 limits to 3.5 A, motors are 4.5A. Just means I'm not availing of the idle current limiting feature, which given that I'm only testing isn't an issue at the moment
Old Thu 18 November 2010, 05:13
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
John, high pitched is normal.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read