MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 60. Wiring & Cable Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 07 March 2010, 09:15
cnc'tje
Just call me: newbie

Brussels
Belgium
The setup of 2 motors on 1 axis

Hey you guys,
im looking to build my own custom mechmate, with a large cutting envelope of 3100 mm x 2100 mm x 150 mm.
I have a lot of expertise with the cad/cam part, but i'm just a newbie if it comes to building an entire cnc machine.

It seems to me that all the large mechmate's have got 2 motors on the X-axis. Do i need a 4-axis break-out board for this, or not?
I was wondering because both the motors work on the same speed all the time, but they do work against each other. ( to go in one direction, one runs CW, the other CCW)?
Can i solve this "problem" by using a normal 3-axis break out board, and just use the the same pulse and direction signal for the two motor drives? hoping that i can make one stepper motor turn the other way, by switching the cables that come out of the motor???

Im sure some of you guys can help me out with this one. . .

I really hope my spelling is correct, and that u can understand my english

looking forward to youre response.
Old Sun 07 March 2010, 09:55
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi your logic is perfectly correct, you can use a 3-axis breakout board.

However, there is a facility in Mach3 for "auto-squaring" the gantry, where independent control of the gantry motors is used. But, most people do not use the auto-square.
Old Sun 07 March 2010, 10:38
cnc'tje
Just call me: newbie

Brussels
Belgium
thx Gerald, for the fast reply.
Now i finally can order my breakout board.

I guess my english wasn't so bad after all. . . .

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read