MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 13 November 2009, 13:43
thereclinerman
Just call me: jim

high point
United States of America
need someone to check my list

after reading numerous posts, i have decided to buy the following components. would they work together? any suggestions?

PK296A2A-5G7.2 qty 3
PMDX 132 qty 1
GECKO 203 qty 3
ANTEK PS-6N56RD qty 1
pinion 30 teeth/dp 20
wire moters BI-POLAR

any comments/help would be greatly appreciated!

trying to understand this gives me a headache, lol
Old Fri 13 November 2009, 13:52
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
You need four motors and drivers.
Old Fri 13 November 2009, 14:32
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The power supply should be 35V to 40V instead of the 56V that you specified. The motors are rated at 3A when wired half-coil. The gear boxes are not rated to handle more than the torque provided by wiring the motors half-coil. 32 * SQRT(1.5mH) = ~39V.
Old Fri 13 November 2009, 16:21
thereclinerman

high point
United States of America
power supply

mike, thanks for the help. i was going to use that power supply because it also provided the 5v and the 12v. how could i wire the motors to use the 56v ps? thanks

i was buying the pmdx with only three steppers so if i decided to add a fourth axis later, i could just add another gecko and moter. thanks jeff

Last edited by thereclinerman; Fri 13 November 2009 at 16:26..
Old Fri 13 November 2009, 16:32
thereclinerman

high point
United States of America
power supply

mike, could i use that ps if i wired the motors unipolar?

still getting headaches lol
Old Fri 13 November 2009, 17:51
thereclinerman

high point
United States of America
power supply

mike, i read in one of your post to use bipolar series for the PK296A2A-SG7.2 when using a ANTEK PS-6N56RD. is this how is need to wire them. i have read so much on wiring of motors i am getting lost.
Old Sat 14 November 2009, 10:30
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Jim: If you are building to the design you still need 4 motors and drivers for the first 3 axis (X, Y, Z) You need two motors and drivers for the X axis alone.

I am planning to use the PK296A2A-SG7.2 motors with the smaller Antec PS-5N39 - 39Vdc 500W power supply with the motors wired unipolar. I am also using the G540 which includes the 4 drivers needed. Hope that helps
Old Sat 14 November 2009, 17:03
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Jim,

You could wire the motors bipolar series, but optimum performance would require a power supply of 70VDC to 78VDC. Motors wired bipolar series have more torque at slower speeds, but they also lose torque rapidly as speed increases. My testing shows that wiring the motors half-coil gives all the torque that the gear box can handle and allows the fastest moves possible.

Sometimes it helps to work things backwards. Start with the anticipated cut speed. Let's take 5-inches per second (300 inches per minute). That is a speed that I often use when cutting panel parts. With a 1.25-inch diameter spur gear (25-tooth, 20-degree pitch), that means the spur gear has to turn 5 / (1.25 * pi) = 1.274 times per second or 76.44 RPM. Because you have a 7.2:1 gearbox, the motor has to turn 7.2 X 76.44 RPM = about 550 RPM. Five-hundred-fifty RPM is well within the ability of that motor when it is wired half-coil, but it is way past the shoulder point if the motor is wire bipolar series. (The shoulder point is the maximum RPM before the motor rapidly looses torque as the speed increases. With the motor wired bipolar series, the shoulder point is somewhere between 200 RPM and 250 RPM.)
Old Tue 17 November 2009, 18:49
thereclinerman

high point
United States of America
jeff and joe, you guys are correct. thanks for pointing ouu i needed two motors for the one axis alone.

mike, i will go with the 25+ 25 power supply and try to use a computer power supply for the other voltages. i need to go over what you are saying and learn about the different ways to wire up steppers. thank you for the help.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read