MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 15 March 2010, 12:59
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Modified finger joint

Gerald's pin method is excellent for half-lapped frame joints. If/when I build another framed boat I will definitely use it.

Attached is a modified version of the finger joint, using Jeff's shape design which I can now incorporate into the plans for the boat panels. However, I am having a little problem getting VCarve to create the cutter path for the Male side. For those interested I have attached both the DXF file and the VCarve file for this joint.

Any advice on the VCarve problem would be gratefully accepted.

(The VCarve file is zipped to comply with the board upload limits.)

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: dxf Finger Joint Example4.DXF (155.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: zip Finger_Joint_Test1.zip (49.9 KB, 17 views)
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 13:51
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
outside cut.jpg

Hi Joe, is this what you want....

Problem 1. on the bottom vector you have a broken vector line.
To check this unselect everything..... right click and ask for ANY OPEN VECTORS....you will see your bottom vector go pink.
With this selected click on the left hand side on JOIN OPEN VECTORS...looks like a small racetrack. Select some tolerance here and click JOIN.
Now your vector is OK

Problem 2.... select both vectors and create a toolpath OUTSIDE / Right and you are on your way.

Good luck
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 17:00
jehayes

United States of America
Kobus: Thanks. You hit is right on the head. Joe
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 22:02
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Did I mention how awesome this group is. Ya'll are great!!!
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 15:37
jehayes

United States of America
Puzzle Joint Final?

After testing the initial cut files on the MM this AM I found the joint was very loose (as in 1/4" loose) and I revisited the design.

I changed the cuts for the two vectors to:

Female: Inside/Left Climb cut with a Minus 0.125 allowance (-0.125) and
Male: Outside/Right Climb cut with a Plus 0.125 allowance.

This seems to work perfectly. Attached are the DXF and CRV files for those interested.

I am still working on a version of the joint from post #2.
Attached Files
File Type: dxf Finger Joint Example4.DXF (147.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: zip Finger_Joint_Test1 (2).zip (50.0 KB, 26 views)
Old Wed 17 March 2010, 13:34
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Glad it is working for you this way. I would have thought -0.125 on the one piece and +0.125 on the other piece should bring you to the same midpoint.

But if this works, then it is maybe the way to do it. Thank's for the feedback.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 08:31
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Joe,

There is no reason that the outside cut with out any allowance should not work. In reality you have done the same thing by having a + / - allowance on the matching sets. I cut your example + / - and I cut one with no allowance and they both worked for me. I am cutting in foam and that makes a difference because it is muc more forgiving. I am going to run test in mdf later. I would also suggest that you make your test the size of what you are going to use because I found them to be very large and I don't think you want that size on your boards.

I have also created a small sample of the post #2 design that I cut in foam. It turned out good. I will cut it in mdf also. I will post some things later.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 08:57
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
In my experience, the fit is very material dependent. Marine ply fits differently than CDX which fits differently from OSB - all cut from the same file. In fact, when I measure a straight kerf cut in a sheet of OSB with a .250 bit, the measurement is consistently .240 or so.

The behavior of the wood fibers in the material you cut has significant ramifications for the design of the joint.

One other thing; fitting one dovetail is easy. Fitting an array of them (such as in post 32) is harder.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read