MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 24 January 2010, 16:17
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell, cool looking drill.

Tony, you need to cut some steel. That saw is too clean, it needs some dirt.
Old Sun 24 January 2010, 19:06
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
that cold drill is soo cool...
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 16:51
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi,

I have not been able to get the cold saw dirty as yet, as I have been lying flat out in bed since last Saturday with back issues again.
So today I ordered our 4 x PMDX-125 Multi-Mode Breakout Boards.
I cannot wait to get started on this baby now, but unfortunately I just need to give my back some time to come good again.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 22:25
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Sorry to hear your back problem.
I share the same problem, spend a fair bit of money at the chropractitioner far many year. Until I picked up Pilates, I bought a few books & practice at home & after 3 years, the back problem is almost gone. IMHO most back problem is mainly due to bad posture...
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 22:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Building (and operating) a big MM should carry a warning about potential back problems. This thing is BIG and the parts (+ boards) are heavy. The main table is about at dining table height, which is ideal for a seated operator, but a bit low for stooping.
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 01:35
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Sparks Flying!!

Hi All,

After a week of resting my back, I decided to make a start on the steel checking and cutting legs, rails and bracing to finished sizes, also ground the ends of the steel in preperation for welding, and cut most of the angles on the bracing for most of the table.

The new cold saw works a treat cuts through the steel with ease like cutting butter and is very quick providing a nice clean cut.

I also cut all the Y support channels to size and cut the angles to all the ends of these channels also.

I still have some more cutting of braces to do but certainly getting there now with not much left to cut.

After probably another day of cutting and grinding all the table steel should be finished.
Then it will be on to the main X beams and the cutting / grinding of the V angles

So here are some pics from today !!

My new Cold Saw finaly got a few scratches on it and got a little dirty

Really pleased and happy with the qaulity of the cuts

All the Y frames pre cut and ready for welding

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 01:42
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
That's the sort of recovery we like to see Tony. Pleased for you that the cuts have been so accurate.
regards
Ross
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 02:47
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
Just saw the pics it must be great to have the right tools for the job. looks like we may need to start welding soon.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 02:34
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
4 x Bob's have arrived!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 04:05
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Break out Boards by the handful I see. There has got to be a LOT of wires coming out of those boards. Now call Paul (AKA skippy) and have him go without sleep until a stepper is turning.

Thanks for the steel cuts today - very much appreciated.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 01:53
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Paul is onto it Ross!! lots of reading being done I think and bits and pieces being sought.
I managed to get a little bit more done later this afternoon, bought the adjustable feet for both tables, they are also on a ball swivel to help take up any out of level discrepencies.
I also bought some 75 x 8mm flat bar for the ends of the main X beams and for the foot plates of both tables which I have already cut and ground as well as centre punched ready for drilling and tapping.
Cold cut saw is certainly earning its keep

I also managed to cut the bevels on the ends of the Y support channels for the second table this afternoon, so the only thing left to cut now are the table braces for along the length of the X frames for both tables and thats all the steel pre cut, except for the Main X beams and all the V rails, which Im really not looking forward too

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 20 February 2010, 17:13
kostas5
Just call me: KOSTAS5

WARSAW
Poland
HI ALL
I come from Poland and i dont know where to buy laser cut parts and another parts frome
some one can help me where i can order for my planing mechmate cnc .
thanke you for all
Old Sun 21 February 2010, 04:13
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Pm sent Kosta!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 14 March 2010, 01:52
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All,

Have not been around much lately, my real job keeps getting in the way I took some time today and cut the last of the braces for the table. I was also able to cut all the short bevel cuts on one end of the braces but had to cut the other long bevel cut using the thin cutting disc's which worked well.

I also cut and bent all the end plates ready for welding to the ends of the main parallel flanged channels which should finish them off nicely!!

So now all the steel for both skippy's and my table is pre cut and ready for welding that is all apart from the cutting and grinding of the v rails and the actual cutting of the angles to the ends of the main parallel flanged channels which I will cut as soon as I can get someone to give me a hand to move them Jeeeeezzzzz they are heavy

should be welding in another week or two hopefully

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 05:09
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Got in from work this afternoon and thought I would drill and tap all the foot plates for both our tables.
Was going great until I realised the largest drill bit I had was 13mm and guess what!! I need a 14mm drill bit for a 16mm x 2 tap
So off to the hardware tomorrow to buy a 14mm drill bit.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 07:28
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Be careful, a 14mm bit doesn't fit in the common 1/2" chuck. You might need to get a 14mm with "reduced shank" if your chuck can't go bigger.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 15:41
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks Gerald, as usual you are on the ball
My drill press will take over 14mm so all good but yeh that would catch some out for sure.

Thanks
Tony.
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 05:48
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Drilling and tapping of the foot plates all done!! we are now ready for the welding of the tables to begin

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 05:52
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Do spend some time dry fitting the foot plates to ensure the tapped holes have enough clearance from the channel walls.
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 05:56
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Ken,

No worries there mate!! the legs of our tables are 75 x 75 x 3mm Box, I have cut 75 x 75 x 8mm flat with an M16 tapped hole in the centre to take the adjustable foot, so well clear of everything.

Thanks.
Old Fri 19 March 2010, 06:03
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
That's great, I had to redo my foot plate because I tried to drill the hole on the centroid of the channel legs
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 03:08
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Finally ready to start the rails and Table welding

Finaly managed to get to the local fastner company and picked up some screws to allow attachment of the skate to my Bosch grinder. so all good!!

Skate is sitting nice and flat to the grinder head.

And just for Ken!! here is a photo of our table feet all cut drilled and tapped.

And our gas bottle arrived today also, so we are all ready to rock now!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 03:36
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Brace yourself for some serious adrenaline rush! WOOHOOO!!!
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 02:17
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
I managed to wrestle one of the main X beams up onto my saw stool and made my first cuts on the ends of the main X beams this afternoon using the thin cutting discs. Was surprised at how easy it was to cut them!!
I now need to get cracking with the rest of them, but might need to wait until I can get a hand to move them

Soon be time for the rails

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 03:16
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Move the saw to the tool. should save some back strain.
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 02:21
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Again !!

Got busy again today, and managed to get all the main X beams cut for both tables.
Now I know why I stuck to working with timber, haha!! much easier to cut and also much lighter to throw around. To be honest I am enjoying the build and the working with the steel
I also spot welded all the bent end plates to all the main X beams and ground them to fit as well as removing all the sharp edges, came up well if I may say so. Especially for an amature
Any way here are the pics from today.

Table is now ready for full build and full welding!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 02:36
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Nice progress Tony and very neat work.
Regards
Ross
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 02:52
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Tony,
Good job!
By this time, you already know the difference between woodworking & steel working.Your trestle/saw horse looks flimsy for the beams to my eye, do work carefully. Those beams are heavy!

Here, we work with the steel as close to ground as possible, especially when working short handed. (have a look at my building log) less lifting & less falling too

Hang in there!
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 05:25
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Grest progress Tony. I like steel because you can weld up errors !!!
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 01:55
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks Guys,

I have been doing a little more prep work check measuring everything as well as marking everything and double checking sizes before the welding starts. I am more than happy that everything is now good to go. Not sure on my welding ability though so seeking some help in that department. I might also gain some free welding lessons at the same time

The boss checking the latest progress

The centre legs of the base table in position all straight and square and clamped into position on the main X beams.

Hopefully welding should start very soon, and should not take too long to have both tables complete.
Garage is now a little bit better organised with a bit more space to work in, although still needs a little bit more to squeeze both tables in

Cheers
Tony.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read