MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 17 July 2015, 05:54
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Looking good, Jerry. I see movement in 3 dimensions. Great feeling isn't it?
Old Sat 18 July 2015, 04:22
Slipery
Just call me: mal

Toowomba
Australia
Congratulations on the movement. I particularly like your Z axis was thinking of doing something similar on mine. Was it purchased or built?
Old Sat 18 July 2015, 13:23
fozzyber2
Just call me: jerry

baton rouge
United States of America
Feels great to see her moving. 47/64

The Z axis, I built ( over built) ,with linear bearings and a ground ball screw from Korea.. 3/4" Al plate and 3/8" sided plates.

The z with stepper weights 47 lbs, and 64 lbs with the spindle

Last edited by fozzyber2; Sat 18 July 2015 at 13:34..
Old Sun 19 July 2015, 04:20
Slipery
Just call me: mal

Toowomba
Australia
Thanks for the photos. Already have the supported linear rails and when I got looking into it found it was cheaper to go with ball screw from china than ACME threaded rod and anti-backlash nuts. Do you now think that 3/8 (10mm) aluminum all round would have sufficed?
Old Sun 19 July 2015, 11:13
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
What type of spindle is that?? It looks to be an ATC spindle!!
Old Sun 19 July 2015, 14:16
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
It Does look like it...
Old Sun 19 July 2015, 14:19
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
Found it. It's a blurry customs AVX spindle...
Old Sun 19 July 2015, 16:18
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
Yes it is an ATC from blury customs.
I don't think I'm going to have it setup as an automatic tool change, more of a really quick change spindle....

I think for the base plate 1/2 would be as thin as I would go. for the moving plate keep the 3/4"
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 08:12
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
More and more progress:

Spindle and z axis mounted along with some wiring.

Limit switches

Hard stops
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 08:16
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
I made a temp mount for an air drill to make some holes.

A little add on, this is a 60in x 120" x .375 (3/8") steel plate. as my table base, weights about 750lbs.!!!!!! it is bolted down with countersunk screws.
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 08:22
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
Gluing down the plemnium

Vac system plumbing.

Vacuum grid cut and being sealed.
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 11:09
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Woaoow Jerry, this look really like a fine detailed & attentioned machine...Congrats !!
But... Don't wonna be a bummer, has anyone ever advise you, when you "gluing" a plemnium pannel ( or any pannels ), the glue has to be poured, avoiding using these zillons gallons on top ....
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 12:47
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Probably could have laid a piece of plastic sheeting over the top, and used the vacuum to hold it down...
Old Sun 06 September 2015, 00:14
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
For gluing the plenum, vacuum would not have worked, the pic with the water jugs is gluing the first layer of MDF to the steel base plate. No way to really seal it up, to pull the 2 together. I use a PUR construction adhesive. to bond the mdf to the metal. I spread it with a notch trowel.
Once dry I cut my grid into the first layer of MDF. and sealed it with a mix of half glue and water. From there I surfaced the grid, Laid down a sheet of 5x10 LDF held it down with the vacuum, made a skim cut. pulled that sheet off brushed glue on the tops of the grid, then put that sheet of LDF on top and held it down with vacuum to dry. The Jugs of water were free from my neighbor who has a lawn treatment company. total weight of water was about 1800lbs.

I have been running a modified shopbot for about 4 years, and I told myself when I started this project I was going to fix everything I did not like with the shopbot, and no shortcuts. (within reason).
So far I think I am going to be happy. The steppers might get changed out to Clearpath servos soon but so far all the extra weight I put into it seems to be paying off.
I might nick name it HULK.......
Old Sun 06 September 2015, 00:26
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
A vid showing come cutting of the grid.
https://youtu.be/ZP8GFxZ-4rQ
Old Sun 06 September 2015, 03:35
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Jerry, You've done an excellent job of it, also love the color. Looking to hear more about the linear bearing performance and how you like it.
Old Sun 06 September 2015, 06:27
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Jerry,

Thanks for sharing the details of your vacuum hold down construction. Please keep 'em coming.

BTW, slap some logo's on your MechMate and get a serial number.
Old Sun 06 September 2015, 06:39
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Awesome job. Thanks for the explanation on the plenum ... My suggestion of using the vacuum was more to suggest an alternative to the next builder to come along, than a critique of your method. I can see where it wouldn't have worked well with the addition of the steel plate into the mix.
The cutting vid looks great.
Again, Well Done!!
Old Wed 30 November 2016, 18:14
keastab
Just call me: keastab

florida
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzyber2 View Post
linear rails mounted and z car on. Feels like I'm making progress!!!!!
Just a quick question about where you purchased the linear rails and are they one piece full length rails or did you "splice" them together using 2 sections?
thanks
Old Wed 30 November 2016, 18:47
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
www.anaheimautomation.com
one piece no splices.

x and y with bearings was about $1600
Old Wed 30 November 2016, 18:53
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
I have made a few changes to the machine most notable is the addition of a HSD ATC 6 HP spindle.. she is a beast!!!! I cut UHMW at 450 ipm 1in DOC at 18k rpm. with a 3/8 bit
The blurry customs spindle just did not work out in many ways..... The HSD was more money but worth it in every way.

Removed bad links - MetalHead

Last edited by fozzyber2; Wed 30 November 2016 at 18:57..
Old Thu 01 December 2016, 09:19
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Jerry

Can you repost your pictures?
Old Thu 01 December 2016, 11:19
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
20161023_201252 (2).jpg

20161023_201315 (1).jpg

20161024_161926.jpg

The 2nd smaller stepper is a "z" for the dust foot, it runs as switch controlled and independent from mach3, I bought the 2nd z axis from open builds, cheap and works for what it needs to do.

Last edited by fozzyber2; Thu 01 December 2016 at 11:29..
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 00:19
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I am as green as your machine! that thing is a beast, do the steppers cope OK with the extra weight, I know that 6hp spindle is quite heavy.
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 03:35
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Big machine, crazy that huge steel bottom sheet, but it should warp less then mdf !

How are the linear rails vs de V-rails, any noticeable difference ? I do not see any reasons to upgrade right now, but still have the linear rails laying around.

What kind of Steppers are you using to pull the gantry beast along ?

Did you check your gantry flex when the Z car is in the middle vs the sides ? I am interested to see with your very heavy Z. It should be quite noticeable.

Why did you opt for the air cooled spindle vs a watercooled when upgrading ?
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 07:09
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
I have 5:1 reduction boxes on my automationtech steppers (1200 inoz) and I have the jog at 600 ipm fast enough.... and it does it very well.
The steel plate does help with vibration and does keep the mdf from moving around. I take .005" to level about one a week. I love the rails, never again will i deal with vee rails. My gantry only flexes about .005 when i stand on it and I'm 220lbs, that is with the spindle installed. But my gantry bars (CROSS MEMBER TUBES 10 20 440 )are made from 2"x4"x.25" NOT 2x4x .125 as the plans called for. I did this for extra strength as well as I wanted to drill and tap the tubes instead of adding a bolt plate.
I went with the air cooled because that is alot more common in the more industrial style type spindles. it works well and after going to air it is not that big of a deal.
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 07:13
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
I also added a wireless tool setting gauge. LOVE IT!!!
I got my off of ebay. it is like this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DT02-CNC-Uni...UAAOSwv-NWZosx
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 11:25
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Thanks for all the answers.

I also have a thicker gantry and modfied z, I saw similair flex and interpolated it either way and shimmed compensation under my rails. For normal trough cutting its completely irrelevant, but when cutting parts with pockets etc that interlock, or when onionskinning, a 0.1 mm depth here and there adds up to non fitting, or hard to remove pieces.
Interesting toolsetter, but I wonder... What if the wireless signal fails...your machine will keep running and ruin the tool setter and your bit ?

Last edited by Fox; Fri 02 December 2016 at 11:34..
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 13:12
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
I think the gantry flex is a non issue. if it is flexing with the the weight of the spindle it is only .001 or ,002 at most.
plus it is going to flex the same amount surfacing the table as when it cuts.
as long as I have my vac on it will pull the martial down and the cuts will be parallel
Old Fri 02 December 2016, 13:16
fozzyber2

baton rouge
United States of America
tool steer only $49 if it gets killed no big deal.
you do have to test it on start up to clear or the tool set program will not run

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read