MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 31 March 2010, 08:15
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Like how you hide your junction box, I haven't a clue how to go about it until your post, will "upgrade" mine base on your idea.

Almost there, Keep em coming!
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 17:47
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Haaa….More fun as progression get done !!
It is exiting and also worrisome !
I say worry since, usually when something totally new gets build, some trouble shooting will be asked upon ! It’s part of this whole pursuit & purpose to build this, but still….not quite fun to see a big beauty sitting with some little oups !

Anyway, here’s more of some pics, hopping it can help in some way some others.

Gantry mains push button station wiring (X1 )

Wiring_the_Beast_2.jpg

Wiring_PB-Station-X1_1.jpg

Wiring_PB-Station-X1_2.jpg

Now for the controller.
I’ve plan since the very beginning that I’ll be making my own wood controller box !
In the controller environment, I also planned & fab some plates to lodge the computer & components in it having all in one location, one box
BUT, first thing I did….WAS TO SELECT THE RIGHT wood.
When these veneer came on to my hands, just had to take this sequence as, once the veneer properly bookmatch, it spoke itself……. Your imagination to tell….

Controler_Back_W-Gerald!!!.jpg

So…..
This is the assembly without sides & doors…YET !!...but in time, it will !
First, let’s get the beast capable to roll, then cut some parts for our own need as a good ( or not so good) grounds to learn and maybe “de-bugg” if ever….
Controler_guts_1.jpg

Controler_guts_2.jpg

This one shows the underside of the box. This rectangle cut out is for a future air filter. The PB panel is only tempo till I get the box done with its doors, as those will go on the front doors !

Controler_under_pannel.jpg

Spoilboard ( 43” x 97”)

Spoil-board_set-up__1rs.jpg

Z-axis proxy to clear future dust collector tube !

Z-axe_proxy-rs.jpg

And, some final steps in photos !

Z-slide_W-motor_changer_2.jpg

Z-slide_W-motor_changer_3.jpg

Ready_Where's_contoler_1.jpg

Y-car_front-view_rs.jpg

Enjoy, will say soon as I’m getting ready to make beauty roll….

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 18:05
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Very clean and good looking work Robert.

Bryan
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 18:19
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolingerbe View Post
Very clean and good looking work Robert.

Bryan
Indeed.
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 20:02
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks for the kind words guys… my turn to payback
Funny how my bluish color changes with the different light & camera angles !?!?
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 21:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Very well thought through, professional work.
Old Sun 04 April 2010, 23:23
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Why don't you put a piece of spoilboard on the narrow part of the table as well. If you put a big sheet on, it should be OK to cut over your indexer valley. Just a thought.
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 01:02
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Well done Robert, it looks beautiful and professionally finished.
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 02:52
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I cant wait to start building mine. Im going nuts with all this waiting. waiting waiting.
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 14:00
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Well….
Enough of else said and back to motor tuning with some MotinKing motors, as in this thread, looks like I & others have slipped to another topic

Can anyone steer me, in/on reading about motor tuning ?
Not much is said in the Mach manuals !

Is it better to have all axis within the same values ( velocety & acceleration )as the lowest one can perform ( in our case, the “Y-axis”) ??
If not, what is a “tolerable” difference, or better yet, how can one calculate this “acceptable” difference !?!
Step & Pulse width ???
Here too, aside of risking to spend hrs if not days for “seat of the pants feel”, isn’t somewhere written more technical about it and how to calculate some of those values !?
Thanks
Old Mon 05 April 2010, 21:16
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Have you seen the thread on this forum where we listed the tuning parameters from a couple of people?
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 03:30
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks Gerald….
Most likely I’ve seen it, but lately couldn’t find it. Now you’re advising me on this, I’ll put more time trying to trace it….
With time & increasing threads (which is a positive thing in many sense ), it’s obviously not as easy as a few yrs back to trace what you think you’ve read in a post / thread around here !
And admittedly...... I’m not getting any younger & with increasing life stress + some doses of worrisome, my memory is playing “tricks” on me
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 04:12
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Hi guys….
Worked my but off this past Easter week-end to make the beast work and giving it it’s first….baby steps !
Not satisfying as I’m off on a few thing, but that is from me who is missing some known or publish values. But I feel that my beast is on the “right track” to say the least !

In short, here’s a few pics that tells where I’m at !!

Calibrating the Z by rotating a little rod around its axis. Did this in two heights to establish if any difference at low Z and at higher Z ( 100mm higher ),

Calib_Z-axe_1.jpg

Calib_Z-axe_2.jpg

Then, made some “air” test, ….. Wow….it was a true blessing, hart pounding moment for me….
After over 3 yrs in this, I’m getting to finally see it roll….. in my basement
Like most grown man, I still have a dose of child in me, could not resist trying to make some cuts…..Late last knight

1st_cuts_1rs.jpg

Pendent_Keyboard_Mouse-&-1st_Cuts2rs.jpg

In this last photo, you can see my version of a pendant / keyboard / mouse combo.
It’s a LOGITECH dinovo-mini. In my opinion, it’s a real toy & charm.....but not made employee proof....it my toy only !!

Not there yet as far as making it the way it is intend to, but now starts the final steps of tuning it before it finally serves its real purpose….. WORKING HARD, helping & assisting me to gain back the money put in it & hopefully balance back the missing revenues while I was building it instead of making / selling woodworking !?!

Next “step” is to tune it, make some repetitive quality work, then, dismounting it to move it to its final work environment….. My new / next workshop site……

Later, Amicalement, Robert
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 04:21
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Well done Robert!!

Looks great, I think we all have a little bit of that big kid in us I cannot wait until I have that same feeling when I eventually get mine making some dust.

Your MM looks fantastic and is a credit to the hard work you have put into it.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 05:16
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Aaahhh . . . .at last!! Well done!

Typical settings for Mach motor tuning
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 05:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Well done and enjoy cleaning up after the MDF cutting without extraction.
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 06:32
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Well done Robert.
My next thing must be a dust extractor. I collected a full refuse bag of saw dust over the weekend. Hard work. The fine stuf is in everywhere!
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 07:36
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Robert, Nice looking cuts. You need some logos!
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 15:13
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Looks Great !!!
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 22:12
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Well done! I'm still fresh with the experience when making 1st dust.
Old Wed 07 April 2010, 23:13
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Nice job, Robert! Now the fun continues.... (just in a different form!)

Looking forward to seeing your number.

Joe
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 05:57
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks you all for your kind replies & comments, appreciated

Since most numbers I was hopping for were proudly given to some other interesting build, and I mean a few of them since 1st one I was aiming for, I had my priority changed….get it done & rolling, then support others here !!!
Must also admit, I just did not take time to manage this sticker thing & go find a local sticker shop to have them done….soon although

Kobus,
I have a tempo dedicated dust collector set up, so dust is V-manageable at this point. But soon I’ll get the beauty to route me a dust extractor I design way back just for this. Just haven’t had time to do it yet, still need to iron out some calibrations, alignment & some issues.
Robert
Old Thu 08 April 2010, 06:51
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Congrats on a beautiful MM build!
I too forgot about the stickers completely... but what that didn't make the 1st cut any less exiting.
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 05:07
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
Congrats Robert.

You have an impeccable machine there !

BTW, why did opt for the 9 conductor IGUS cable? I realize that a 2 core and a 7 core are required and IGUS does not carry the 2 core in the CF6 category. I was quoted 5 core cable to replace the 2 core.

Clayton
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 07:23
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Clayton, The 9 core is my data lines with 2 spares in case of……
But I also have a 7 core, that one is for the proxys + 1 spare.
And for the 2 core, which is for the power of the router, I used Igus CF31-25-04 (4 x 14AWG) as they do not have/offer any 3 core.
For the Motors, I bought their CF6-07-04 ! Best of luck !!
Amicalement, Robert
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 13:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Robert, have you surfaced your table yet, or are you waiting until it is in it's final place?
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 18:53
cab. guy
Just call me: Ron

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Robert,you slipped by me.5 star fit and finish.Your choice of steel schedule,top notch.
Your ability to slide this by the wife on the living room floor= priceless $$$.Honestly
great fabrication.
Old Fri 09 April 2010, 19:43
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Kobus,
Haven’t yet surface this spoilboard, can’t devote enough time on all this but I still have more test to do to get in tune the motors and + I haven’t either test square my X to Y. Combine this with the dust foot coming along, I should be done soon!
As for this spoilboard, it is a tempo one till I move all this too its final work space in a few months ! then, another one will replace this one !

Ron,
Thanks for your kind words.
If all this is in our family room, it is cause of that, we still have one after all and…. I promised it be out of here soon as I'm in the final stage to aquire the buiding you can see in post 116 ( look….it's blue )
But ya…very priceless and surly a neck barker to say the least !
Old Mon 12 April 2010, 09:50
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Why my toroidal transformer humms….sometimes ?

In a uneven cycle & intensity, my transformer has either a “hum” when tuned on and some other time, none ?
When “humming” it is giving me the impression of an electrostatic hum cause of a zzzzz–alike electric noise in the back ground. But when it hocuses, it is more than just discreet, you can hear it clear at good 15m from the controller…. But…all is apparently functioning ( the beast that is ) the same without me actually gone measured the output, at this point !
Should I measure it ?
Is this humm “normal” ?
Is it occurring to others too ??

Thanks
Old Mon 12 April 2010, 10:11
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Transformer humming is cause by the harmonics, here, we can return the transformer for this reason.
It won't affect your voltage & current, but sometimes, a humming tranny is warmer then a quiet one.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read