MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 02 December 2009, 11:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A simple (no-cost) change to 10 30 455 (with matching change to 10 30 422) can give exactly the same result as the modification contemplated above.
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 17:08
m_leblanc
Just call me: MARS

SHAWINIGAN
Canada
Hi Robert,
Congratulation on your build, have been reading your tread from the first post.

I have a question about the dust foot collector, first have you done it yet, I have seen that you also posted in the dust collection tread by Gerald D and my question is: Where can we find the flexible PVC brush.

Gerald mention that it is available at Mcmaster but the problem is that they don't take any new orders from us Canadian only old customers.

Félicitation pour ton travail de Shawinigan, j’ai presque complété ma table avec un indexeur, ce n’est pas un MM, mais beaucoup d’idée découle de la MM
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 17:26
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Mars….
Thanks for the complement, appreciate
Have not gotten mine YET…. But will get it from McMasterCarr. I may be able, MAYBE, to help you if you’re not in a rush… I’ll PM on this !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Fri 04 December 2009, 01:32
wiwatto
Just call me: wiwatto

Bangkok
Thailand
Thank You. Robert, It beautiful
Old Thu 24 December 2009, 16:37
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Talking

Hi all….
My deepest & very warmest holydays seasons greeting to this great bunch…more like a 2nd family !
December was a very busy month for me, not much progress, but have schedule some time to get more going on for my beast during this little break !
Let me tel ya, I’ve been off before on scheduling & time estimate on project…but never as much as this one….
What can I say…will not sacrifice on what I’ve dearly learn here for my build to the detriment of speeding up to the final line….nop…not me !
So, it will take the time needed to accomplish the way I see it !

Thanks all for your great support & tips, hoping I’m also continuing & giving some back !
2009 was a good year, but 2010 look very interesting for me, many thing will come to life FINALY !
Hoping 2010 will good to others too….
Amicalement, Robert
Old Fri 25 December 2009, 03:05
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Can`t wait to see some new pics of your build...good luck

Claudiu
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 14:28
tufanca
Just call me: tufanca

izmir
Turkey
Gerald
MechMate 2010 modification Drawing ?
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 18:05
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tufanca,
All the latest drawings are in the download section.
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 18:07
tufanca
Just call me: tufanca

izmir
Turkey
domino11

thanks
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 17:18
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
My little adventure in Spindle On / Off mode !!

It’s a shame ( mostly for me) since it appease I’m getting a hard time to get…either understand in some of my questions and/ or answers..…

In regards seeking for help and my questions in this thread, I finally found the answers / solution.
BUT…anyONE… anyone who runs a Mach3 could have just answer
either:
my question “ B “ in post #9 or post # 14 By something similar to =>

[I]It should go on & off if you click the “ spindle CW F5” button on the Spindle speed column found in “Program Run” screen…. and/or the “ MDI “ Screen and/or the “ Spindle toggle” button found in the Diagnostics screen….
IF NOT…. Most likely you have a mistake in your Mach set up since you already confirming it triggers when you click on “active low / active high in “Port’s & Pins” under “Output Signals”…..[/I]

but no… no one did answer….what now appears to me quite simple ( bias opinion ) ... it’ was a pita for me !

SOLUTION : MY MISTAKE was I did not reverse the output numbers of which we should ALL correct in the “relay Control” box in the “Spindle setup” out of the Ports & pins.
De-selecting the “ disable spindle relay” ins’t enough…. PORTS & PINS GUYS…I forgot to change those too ….
By “reverse”, I mean => By default there at utput # 2 for M3 and Output #1 for M4….
Change this to M3 output # = 1
and also, M4 output # = 1. This will work just fine, from my test anyway !

Simple fix I got from an “Eureka moment” as Art calls them….. after spending nearly 2days reading those install guides, many threads & post over here and some other forums….

On well…hope this adventure can serve other now !!?
Amicalement, Robert
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 04:56
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
-Geckos trimpot ?

I’m hoping / surching for some advice and recommendation on the Gecko adjustment!
What are the motor tunung config valus some of you guys used when adjusting the trimpot ?

I’m assuming I must do it wrong, cause when I try at various slow revolution, on my set up ( V203 & MotionKing 9802), there is no “null noted in motor’s vibration” noticeable changes !?!
Thanks in advance, Robert
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 05:05
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Robert,

When adjusting the "trim pot", you are looking for the "smoothest" rotation of the motor at slow speed. Rotate the trim pot back and forth through "center" with the motor turning at slow speed and listen to the motor "noise". Select the setting at which the motor is making the least noise. As you move the trim pot away from this least noisy position, it will begin to "vibrate" (make more noise).

Does this help?
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 05:45
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Finally....some progress.... ;o)

Well…where to start ???
Lots has been going on since last “hope to finish” my beast, that was initially for end of October, then was hoping for X-mas…. Know, …. Simply soon !!

Between working hard to bring back up the bank, finding time to finally putting my hands on a future workshop building and getting things simply rolling, not as easy as some would imagine ….

Anyway, here are some pics of my progress….. since last post w/pics ( a while back that is )

After getting the basic part PRE-assemble in order to paint it, decided to get it powder-coated.
MAN, let me tell ya, this is not just nice quality, but if I put a very modest net, net value of 25$ /hr of my time, if I would have done it all myself, it would have cost me the same to a few hundred more ( a say a few hundred more as in my case, a lots of unpredictable hidden corners would of surly required more pre-paint time and slower painting application time...) So, all in all, I got it sub out to this powder coating shop allowing me to make money on what I’m more adequately better at….making woodworking furniture that is vs painting metal. ;0)

Receiving my beast from the powder coat ….it really loaded my mini-van ;0)

Beast_powder-coated_rs.jpg

After having all these parts literally sitting around for mounts crying for me to assemble them, well…finally decided to get thing going on AGAIN

P2120001-rs.jpg

Basics table base assembled. ( yep…that right, directly in my personnel basement family room ( was )…in meantime till I finalized the new building takeover, renovations….and all other time delay that can come up.
This is why I made my version a “bolt on”, I initially knew it was going to be assemble in a tempo location !

So…

P2130006-rs.jpg

Know we have the base table assemble, true, squared and leveled with a nice rotary laser, borrowed from my neighbor, who turns out to be a contractor…. ;0)

P2130008-rs.jpg

More to come soon…. got to go to work

Thanks, later. Amicalement Robert
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 12:09
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
As always...Robert the NEAT one. Looking good.
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 14:19
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Robert, Are you building your MM in the TV Room? I am so jealous. How did you get the wife and family to go for that one?
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 17:01
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
You must either be single or have one of the coolest wifes in the world. Not only is your MM inside but its on the Hardwood floors. You have something better than gold.
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 04:21
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Well guys…..
Like mentioned earlier, this is only a temporarily set up location for getting the BEAST “rolling” and me to be more on par with CNC machining as I know “didly-skwatt “ on this + it’s only for a few months…till the new shop location get all the permits & some basics room prep/renovations done !

But, ya…. She may not be the coolest, ( like most woman, they have two sides ) but very passive, comprehensive and patient .
It’s all in the name of a better future…. As we had our share of dark days in our 20ys+ together

Had a little twist in the gantry, but thanks to GERALD solution, un-twisting it work out like a real charm.

From a +/- 3 mm of one corner sitting higher ( in the bellow pic, the ruler is flat on the main beam, it’s the sunlight reflection creating an optical illusion that it seem to be tipped, but no ! )

Gantry_twist_1.jpg

I took nearly 55mm of height compensation to bring it to a “perfect” flat ! ( look at the far left corner of the gantry vs the closest part sitting on a 55mm white Oak beam

Gantry_twist_2.jpg

In compression mode :

Gantry_twist_3.jpg

Nice, tue & flat :

Gantry_twist_4.jpg

Now, attacking the rail installation & calibration

p2170003rs.jpg

….later as it is early moring hrs and need some rest ! !;0)

Later, Robert
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 09:38
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Looking good Robert!

So to did you actually twist the gantry with the clamps to straighten it out to ride flat on the table? Using this block and clamp method?

I notice the day light is gone in the last pic there...
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 03:35
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi, Rob.
Nice to see some progress on your build! I`m happy to see u back in action!!!
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 04:45
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
What moor to say…. The following pics speak for them self !

When I first saw this “fishing string” rail calibration (can’t really remember if it was initially done by Greg or Doug) , I said to myself got to use this… and It works like a charm !

Rail_Calibration_1.jpg

On one end, needed to be “pushed in”

Rail_Calibration_2.jpg

In mid length, needed to be “pull-out”

Rail_Calibration_3.jpg

Leveling those was not too bad either….

Well , now is the “fishing” of these wires !

Wiring_the_Beast_1.jpg

Hope editing this helps & guides some ?
More to come & follow up soon.....
Enjoy, amicalement Robert
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 02:22
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Great work here. Good job. I read that your looking to build a future witht eh machine too? My goals as well. very inspiring.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 08:44
dakmonf
Just call me: dakmon

Alberta
Canada
Robert;

I would like to know the dimensions of your indexer well if you would share. You have done a great job and I would like my build to be very similar. Also, what will you be using as an indexer.

Thanks
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 14:30
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
What is an indexer for?
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 14:53
dakmonf
Just call me: dakmon

Alberta
Canada
Charles;

Take a look at this thread
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2175
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 15:42
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Interesting. But not for me. Not right now atleast. What I really need is to be able to thread the inside of tubes. Mostly acrylic tubes. The deep porting of the table used for the indexer is appealing to me because I see tubes being mounted in there vertical in some fashion so that the inside of the tubes can be thread milled down about an inch. Maybe my next machine. But not my first.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 20:17
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
No big secret her Dakmonf !!
Although, I must advise you that in my planning, the indexer & lath part is a few steps down the list, say for beginning 2011
It is conceived to accept a radius of 18” by 96” in length. Center axis is at table top level, with my Z height at 9.9”.
The “indexer” valley will have a few usage. Indexer, lathe, vertical jig & parts holder….etc .
As a small custom hi-end furniture maker, I had to have it very versatile, multi-task type.
With all this said, the cutting area is 43” x 97”.
Hope this helps!

Now, herewith as some more progress…..
Had some interesting “moments” fishing all these wirers!

Z- motor XLR connection.

Z-motor_XLR-connector_1.jpg

Z-motor_XLR-connector_2.jpg

Z-motor_XLR-connector_3.jpg

My “y-Car” PB-station as only the E-stop, another independent switch for the router , a 2way jack outlet of the Z-zero plate to be and last, the XLR connector !

Y-car_PB_1.jpg

Inside the Y-car, I installed a small junction box for a regular outlet for on top of the Y-car to connect the router, which as the in line switch at the Y-car PB-station + the Z-slide motor XLR connector !

Inside-Y-car_jonction-box_1.jpg

Inside-Y-car_jonction-box_2.jpg

Inside-Y-car_jonction-box_3.jpg

Lots of work done, lots more to come…but this is great, a real treat
Later, amicalement, Robert

Btw Gerald, I find this new title amusing…..
This next pic shows where will soon be my beast official working roof !!

Futur_Workshop_outside_6.jpg
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 22:10
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Hey robert so,... i guess mounting acrylic tubes vertically in that "valley" is very possible then right? Im talking about something like 9" acrylic tubes. Mounted vertically so that the inside of each end can be thread milled. The mounting syetem would have to be precise so that the machine knows where each tube is. I need to be able to do this.

Maybe not right now but maybe for my next machine. I need a work horse for cutting flat stock right now. Thats a nice workshop you have there too. I hope that soon after I get started making money with my machine that I will be able to open a place like that to upgrade my services.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 00:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I see that you are using direct-drive motors, with big pinion gears; that is most unusual and I think you will be disappointed with the performance . . . it will be like trying to drive a car in top gear all the time.

(I didn't change your thread title - a couple of other people can also do that)
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 04:19
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Gerald, don’t get me wrong, I actually like & find amusing this “Cozy” tittle !
As for pinions, not to worry, I do not expect a lot from this test.
I understand very much using a bigger pinon (35T) is not made for good resolution. I also have a few others down to 20T.
When time comes, I’ll start making with the beast some 4:1 transmission with a 20 or 25t final pinion. For now, it is just for “rolling” test and see what it will gives as an end result / cut…. Kinda for myself curiosity and knowlage in practice vs only mathematical theory !
Thanks for the consern, Robert
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 05:02
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Absolutely loving your build Robert, very neat, tidy and proffessional looking. Keep up the good work and keep those photos coming!!

Cheers
Tony.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read