MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 28 December 2009, 11:25
Radishworks
Just call me: Mike #40

California
United States of America
Chinese 2.2kw Spindle and Mach3

Has anyone managed to hook the Chinese 2.2kw Spindle VFD to Mach3? Speed control would be great, but I'd be happy with on/off to start with.

Sorry, if I've missed the thread if there is one.

Thanks,
Mike
MM #40
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 11:41
vishnu
Just call me: vishnu

Coimbatore(TN)
India
Mike,
I have connected a 2.2 kw spindle with Delta VFD & Sound Logicus spindle control board, works fine. you could also have manual control without connecting to mach. Any questions in specific ?
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 11:57
Radishworks

California
United States of America
I have the VFD that came with the spindle, see pic and manual attached. I've experimented with VFD connections with some 12v jumpers trying to get the spindle to turn on/off - no luck so far. The manual isn't the clearest for VFD beginners.

My first thought was to just get the spindle to turn on/off using the existing PMDX-122 I have. With the goal of switching to a speed control board for total speed control. Jumping right to speed control in Mach3 is fine, if someone has a working solution.

Anyone who has any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 225999818_o.jpg (19.7 KB, 1687 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VFD Manual.pdf (443.3 KB, 196 views)
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 12:25
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
Hello Mike. I got the same spindle and inverter. I just managed to have the spindle turned on and of while running a g-code in Mach3. You just need to run two wire cable from pmdx122 J7 Relay Com and NO to your VFD terminal blocks FOR (supplies 24vdc for on-board relay) and DCM common. Then go to ports pins output tab and set output1 port1 and pin1. Also make sure in the spindle set-up tab you have disable spindle relays unchecked and output1 under it should be 1. That should help. I am also aiming at speed control if I have any luck I will let you know. Forgot about settin Pd 001 and Pd 002 both for 1. Make sure to understand them Pd's there are so many of them. I am still learning.

Last edited by martin77pl; Mon 28 December 2009 at 12:42..
Old Tue 29 December 2009, 14:36
Radishworks

California
United States of America
Thanks Martin, it works great!

For anyone trying the same thing, make sure to change the VFD setting: PD001=1 for external control.

I also changed the PD014 and PD015 to 2.5 for a faster start and stop of the spindle.
Old Tue 29 December 2009, 18:56
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hey Mike,

I've written a plugin for Mach3 to control the Huanyang VFD via its RS-485 interface. I'm still testing it but so far it start/stops the spindle, can set the speed, displays actual speed and displays current draw. You will need an RS-485 port on your PC. I bought a cheap USB<->RS485 converter off ebay. I will post a link to it when its done.
Old Tue 29 December 2009, 20:44
Radishworks

California
United States of America
Sounds great, thanks Matt.

A question back to Martin (or anyone). Using the pmdx122 J7 Relay to turn the spindle on/off works great when the Gcode is running. Does anyone know if there's a button in Mach3 that allows the spindle to be turned on, when the Gcode isn't running. Not critical, but would be useful.
Old Tue 29 December 2009, 21:26
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Yeah, you can press "Spindle CW" in the Spindle Speed area of the main mach screen.
or you can press F5
Old Wed 30 December 2009, 09:28
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
Can anyone please help me with this one? I have a control speed control board. The speed control is to be done via step and direction mode in Mach3. I connected the VFD with the spindle control board and then the board is connected with the pmdx 122 using J8 pin 14 and ground. I set the onboard relay J7 with pmdx 122 as well and that is working fine. I can even change the voltage according to the speed set in mach3. If I set the speed for 12000 RPM then the meter reads 5V at the terminal ACM and VI. And with the speed 24000 the meter reads 10V. There is no problem with that. It seems that the VFD does not respond to that changes. My spindle set-up tab is as follows:
Use motor control-ticked
Step/Dir motor-ticked
Disable spindle relays-not ticked
Motor outputs spindle enabled step pin 14 port pin 1. Outputs tab for spindle relay is output1 pin1 port 1.
Anyone please?
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 09:40
raport2000
Just call me: Jeka

Melitopol
Ukraine
Hi folks. what could be the problem with my chinese VFD 1.5Kw? when I turn on nothing happens, only relay inside clicks when power on, but there is no indication. All conection corectly.Here is my video : http://vimeo.com/13228771

Last edited by raport2000; Sat 10 July 2010 at 09:54..
Old Wed 14 July 2010, 02:11
raport2000

Melitopol
Ukraine
Here is solution for my problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gr-uFrjZno . Chinese manufacturers forgot to connect the loop inside the VFD . Everything working
Old Wed 14 July 2010, 04:26
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Jeka,

Help me out here. When you say "loop" are you referring to the "ribbon cable header connector" shown in the video. Looks to be about 25 pins and connects the VFD cover to the circuit board. Is that what you mean by "forgot to connect the loop inside the VFD"?

I am considering one of these and got worried when you reported that it wasn't working for you. Now, if I understand it correctly, the problem was that a cable was not connected inside the VFD unit. By the way, did it void any warranty when you "opened" the VFD unit to investigate the problem and make the repair?
Old Wed 14 July 2010, 04:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
One can normally buy the keypad/indicator as a loose item (it unclips from the front cover) and a long ribbon cable allows you to mount the keypad at a remote location. Therefore, plugging of the ribbon cable is a normal end-user function and it won't void a warranty.

Out here we can buy low-cost drives without the keypad. If you have multiple drives in a factory, you only buy one key to use across all of them - unplug after programming.
Old Wed 14 July 2010, 07:40
raport2000

Melitopol
Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggins7 View Post
Jeka,

Is that what you mean by "forgot to connect the loop inside the VFD"?
Sorry for bad english. Yes, That is what I meant
Old Tue 11 January 2011, 08:53
shaffin
Just call me: Sam

Barrie
Canada
Can someone provide a good wiring diagram

Hello,

I am a bit new to this, can someone provide a video or wiring diagram on how to get my 2.2kw spindle working through MACH3 please.

Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin77pl View Post
Hello Mike. I got the same spindle and inverter. I just managed to have the spindle turned on and of while running a g-code in Mach3. You just need to run two wire cable from pmdx122 J7 Relay Com and NO to your VFD terminal blocks FOR (supplies 24vdc for on-board relay) and DCM common. Then go to ports pins output tab and set output1 port1 and pin1. Also make sure in the spindle set-up tab you have disable spindle relays unchecked and output1 under it should be 1. That should help. I am also aiming at speed control if I have any luck I will let you know. Forgot about settin Pd 001 and Pd 002 both for 1. Make sure to understand them Pd's there are so many of them. I am still learning.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read