MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 29 June 2008, 23:07
alain26
Just call me: ALAIN26

PANAMA
Panama
Do the Oriental Motor gearheads fit onto all NEMA stepper motors?

Hello it wanted to know if someone can tell me if the gearhead of oriental motor work with all the motors or only for those of oriental motor?
I have servo motor with 1/2 Front Shaft
Old Sun 29 June 2008, 23:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The gearheads that I have seen from Oriental Motor are already attached to their motors. In those cases it is a special motor with the gear teeth cut directly into the motor shaft.

Maybe you have found some information where Oriental Motor sells separate gearheads?
Old Sun 29 June 2008, 23:37
alain26
Just call me: ALAIN26

PANAMA
Panama
Yes they do sell separate gearhead but they give poor information on them
Old Tue 01 July 2008, 07:03
gfc62
Just call me: Gordon

Falls Church (VA)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by alain26 View Post
Hello it wanted to know if someone can tell me if the gearhead of oriental motor work with all the motors or only for those of oriental motor?
I have servo motor with 1/2 Front Shaft

I have the same question so will be listening with interest to see what others find out.

A few weeks ago I used the 'Request Qoute / Information' feature on the orientalmotor.com website to ask for recommended gear heads for use on NEMA 34 framed motors. I didn't receive a reply so I asked the question again yesterday. I'll post here with whatever information I receive.

Gordon
Old Tue 01 July 2008, 13:33
gfc62
Just call me: Gordon

Falls Church (VA)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfc62 View Post
I have the same question so will be listening with interest to see what others find out.

I'll post here with whatever information I receive.
From Oriental Motor:

"The PK motors you have are a round shaft type motor. A gear box will not fit on this shaft. For our stepping motors the gear boxes are put on and tested before shipment. Once the gearhead is on it is not removable or interchangeable. For instance if you bought a geared motor with a 7.2:1 ratio and the application changed where you needed a 20:1 ratio you would have to purchase a whole new motor and gear box. The gearboxes you found on our website are specifically for our AC induction motors and are not designed to fit with any other induction motor or stepper."
Old Tue 01 July 2008, 20:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks for clearing that up Gordon.
Old Wed 02 July 2008, 04:14
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
If you already have the motors and want to use what you have, then belt drives are probably the answer.
Old Wed 02 July 2008, 08:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
There are ready-made planetary gearheads on some markets as well. . . .
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read