MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 01 December 2009, 16:12
traviswaite
Just call me: travis

Sebastian, FL
United States of America
Smile New from Florida

I am looking into purchasing or building a CNC but I am very confused on which way to go.. Please advise on cost and is this for beginners.... It will be used for varios woods, plastics and eva foam

Travis
Old Tue 01 December 2009, 17:14
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi Travis

Welcome... You have arrived at the right spot.
If you decide to build Gerald`s MM, start reading this Forum, download the plans and get comfortable, you will find here every Info you need

Greetings
Claus

Last edited by Claudiu; Tue 01 December 2009 at 17:17..
Old Tue 01 December 2009, 17:54
traviswaite
Just call me: travis

Sebastian, FL
United States of America
Thanks for the welcome..... I am wondering what the out of pocket expense will be... to build versus purchasing....
Old Wed 02 December 2009, 00:36
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Travis,

I leave the answer about the cost to the guys who have built a machine in the States.

As I live in Europe I can tell you that I spent 4500 - 5000 Euros so far. I just need the electric cables and I`m done with shopping.
But I also have to ad that many parts are not available in Romania and some transport costs ,comissions and overpriced parts were added to my expenditure.
As far as I have read here, you can count with the same number but in $ for the nuild in your location.
Original Plans are designed to be the cheapest option for the builder.
Price is also variable on how much work you invest in your build (or let it built), which toolheads you choose and what modifications you bring to the original plans.( linear rails for example is 800$ plus)
There is no limit pushing the price up.

Greetings
Claus
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 17:37
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Travis,

what size are you planning to cut and how frequent?

Usually it's possible to find a small CNC router cheaper then you can build a MM, however anything with some size 4'x8' for example, then the MM is a very good option.

I think also what counts is the build itself, learning what is important and not so much when building a CNC machine from a electrical, software and mechanical point of view.

When something breaks, or doesn't work to well then the forum is here for free to ask questions, and usually you can fix it yourself, this means lesser maintenance cost and knowledge of the machine you own.

And of course a great showoff that YOU build the machine!!!

Ries

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read