MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 09 November 2006, 12:16
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Copied from another thread:

That "tapered hob" issue: A hob is a tool for cutting a gear, why is Oriental practically the only company in the world that makes an issue of the tool with which the gear is cut? Its like saying my house was built with a 2lb claw hammer - why is that supposed to make a difference?
Old Thu 09 November 2006, 13:12
Dirk Hazeleger
Just call me:

I have no idea as far as the tapered hob issue. They don't publish the spur gear spec, and I think the rep was guessing when I asked him. It would be interesting to break down both reducers and see what the real difference is.
Old Thu 23 November 2006, 21:48
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The "tapered hob gear" is actually a "taper gear". From a newsletter:

I suppose the pitch diameter is an average across the width of the gear.

Old Tue 20 October 2009, 10:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The above posts bumped for Mike

From the picture, the tapered gear is only on the final meshing pairs of teeth - there are one or two pairs before that without wear compensation (no. of pairs depend on overall ratio).

Unless the tapered adjustment is spring-loaded, the gears will not self-compensate for wear. There is probably a wave washer behind the tapered layshaft.

The wear rate could be higher because the tapered gear has a sliding action between parts of the gear teeth (the small side of the gear has a different "ratio" to the big side) My guess is that the actual amount of taper is very little, otherwise the wear would be high.

Range of gearboxes: http://www.orientalmotor.com/product...ep-motors.html

The output shaft may be the one that is spring loaded. You might be able to feel this if you pull on a TH's shaft vs a SG shaft.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read