MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Thu 27 December 2007, 19:19
dullfig
Just call me: Dan

Harbor City
United States of America
Vertical MechMate

Has anyone considered modifying the machine to be mounted vertically against a wall? some people (Me :-D) would rather not take up all that floor space with a machine that essentially has only 4" of Z travel. Other than needing some type of counter weight for one of the axis, can you see any other problem with this idea?

Dan
Old Thu 27 December 2007, 19:41
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
The Guide system on the MM is designed with Gravity holding it on the rails. This style of mechanical guide system is NOT captured like a linear rail. Thus, the machine will not work as currently designed unless flat in the horizontal x/y plane.
Old Thu 27 December 2007, 20:07
dullfig
Just call me: Dan

Harbor City
United States of America
So the second change that would have to be made is to rotate the guides 90 degrees so that the gantry is riding on them again, and held by gravity... Any other problems?
Old Thu 27 December 2007, 20:19
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...without getting inside Gerald's head...my assumptions based on how I am currently building my table, you (might) have to restrain the z axis and counter balance the y car. I will think about this one tonight and add more later. I only know of 2 other machines that are "vertical" tables that actually work well. One is commercially available @ http://www.camtech.ca/products/route...ceOverview.cfm
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read