MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 28 July 2007, 15:08
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Time To Start !! - Northeast Ohio

Group,

After thinking about this a LOT, I believe that I am going to follow Kim Mortensen's lead and build my table frame in a bolt together fashion. I anticipate having to move the machine several times in the near future and this will just make my life much easier. There are many pros and cons to a weld vs bolt approach and there are degrees of both. The entire side could be welded with the crossmembers bolted such as J.R.'s machine. These sketches (attached) involve building only fourprecision welding jigs. Something I've done many times before. Shouldn't be too bad. I also thought about making the bottom longitudinal one piece and bolting it on the inside. Should add a little stiffness but I believe the machine will be solid as a rock as drawn.

Now... with all of that said, my mind is not totally made up on the whole approach and I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Marc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bolt Together MM.pdf (3.6 KB, 211 views)
Old Sat 28 July 2007, 15:32
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Marc what are you going to build first, the machine or the controller?
Old Sat 28 July 2007, 16:05
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
J.R. What are your thoughts behind the question? I'll try to anticipate the answer and give you some more info...

Given the harsh winters we have here and the corresponding temperature in my workshop in the winter, I plan to do some cutting and welding while the weather is still nice and save most of the "kitchen table simulation" for fall / winter. I know Gerald recommends doing it the other way 'round but weather here is a serious consideration. Another reason for a "bolt-together" method. I can make and store the parts without taking up my whole workshop until it is really necessary.
Old Sat 28 July 2007, 20:26
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Marc,

Don't mean to butt in, but ... I started with the rails first. For me, that looked to be the most difficult part. Once I got a system (copied Geralds baby grinder setup) to making the 45's on the rails, I next went to the controler or "kitchen" project. I'm currently fabricating a little jig for the on/off, main shut off, and E-stops switches.

Whatever you do, it'll be fun watching your progress.

Have fun guy,
Greg
Old Sat 28 July 2007, 21:35
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Marc, your design should be solid, but an awful lot of work. Have you considered lap joints versus butt joints? For example, instead of 3 long.'s between the legs, why not one long one against the inside of the legs, with 2 bolts at each crossing?
Old Sun 29 July 2007, 05:13
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Gerald,

Where you said "For example, instead of 3 long.'s between the legs, why not one long one against the inside of the legs, with 2 bolts at each crossing?"...

That is what I meant by:

"I also thought about making the bottom longitudinal one piece and bolting it on the inside."

My mind isn't totally made up on any of this.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Old Sun 29 July 2007, 09:56
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ah, I must learn to read english! You can do the same with the diagonal braces - 1.5"x1.5"x3/16" angle is adequate for bolted braces.
Old Mon 30 July 2007, 11:01
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I finally got the sides of my Mechmate welded together and I don't think moving them will be any easier than moving the entire machine. My son is 6'1" and 240 lbs. I'm much smaller and we were exhausted after carrying each side 100 feet into the garage. I plan to move my Mechmate in a few months when I get it finished and I believe I'll be able to do it with an engine hoist and a trailer used for hauling cars. My plan is to pick up one end with the hoist and back the trailer under it. Then pick up the other end and slide the Mechmate to the front of the trailer. You can purchase an inexpensive folding engine hoist at Harbor Freight for less than $400 and they're awfully handy to have around the shop for other things.
Old Mon 30 July 2007, 12:10
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Thanks Doug. You are helping me confirm my thinking. Appreciate the feedback.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read