MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 01 July 2009, 08:38
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Found this Spindle...please comment

Ok

as I was looking for a suitable spindle I stumbled upon this offer.
Itīs a water cooled Spindle with a matching Inverter at an incredible price!
I know, itīs chinese, but otherwise what is not made in china nowadays?
Look at this item and tell me your opinion.
To me it seems a pretty interesting offer for a Spindle of this kind.

Check link: http://cgi.ebay.de/WATER-COOLE-MOTOR...262&_trkparms=
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 09:44
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
You can search in this chinesse youtube for CNC and see the spindles their use, all are this water cooled spindles.
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 09:49
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiu View Post
. . . what is not made in china nowadays? . . .
High quality bearings for a long life at high speed.
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 10:05
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hmmm,
They state that they are using upgraded imported German bearings for three times the bearing life over similar spindles. I wonder...
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 10:24
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Claus, a lot has been written on this forum about those spindles.
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 13:57
waynec
Just call me: Wayne from White Salmon

White Salmon, WA
United States of America
Well, after several months of using a water cooled spindle, I would do it again. I use mine mostly to route 3/4" pine into furniture parts. It is much quieter than the Porter Cable router it replaced, and can cut the pine in a single pass if I choose. It runs at a comfortable temperature, and the speed control works reliably.
I can't say much about bearings, as I've had no problems to this point, even though I've banged them pretty hard with some stupid CNC mistakes I've made. It all seems to be working fine.

If I had a complaint, it would be that the VFD instructions were a bit vague, and that the fittings on the spindle for water tubing were just too small. If I had it to do over, I think I'd still go water cooled, but maybe with more power. This is somewhat more powerful than the Porter Cable, but I can still get it to stall if I push too hard with agressive cuts or 'accidents'.

Overall, the purchase and ensuing install project was worth it.

Hope this helps.

Wayne from White Salmon
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 15:48
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Wayne what hp was the porter cable and what kw is the spindle?
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 15:51
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
If my calculations are right the 3 hp pc @ 15 amps is 1.8 kw? Is your spindle 2.2 kw?
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 22:55
waynec
Just call me: Wayne from White Salmon

White Salmon, WA
United States of America
Yep. The Porter Cable is the big one at 3.25 hp, at 15 amps. The spindle is 2.2 kw.

But in practice the PC bogs down much faster than the Spindle does. I think the VFD may be a better speed control than Porter Cable has. I remember trying to cut pine in one pass with the Porter Cable. You could do it, but it really bogged down, and I wouldn't normally work the tool that hard intentionally. Also, when it bogs, the cutter speed slows, and results in hot bits and poor cut quality.

The spindle seems to hold bit speed much better. And if it bogs down too much the VFD will shut it off for overcurrent. Not long ago I had a piece of pine get stuck in my dust collector, causing my steppers to lose position. The steppers continued moving the spindle, pushing it thru full depth pine with some knots. When the spindle hit the denser knots it stopped spinning and displayed an error message. I heard the noise, and was there to press the Estop. But the spindle was OK. The bearings were fine, and the bit didn't break this time. The Porter Cable would have just continued bogging down until the magic smoke escaped.

So far so good. I used it all day today again, and it ran fine cutting pine at 160 ipm in two passes.

Wayne
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 02:10
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Chinese Spindle and VFD - General Info

I found some new Info on the VFD used for the Chinese Spindle.

I just publish for general Information.

1. Picture: Connecting VFD Single Phase

2. Picture: Connecting VFD Three Phase

3. Manual VFD

4. MODBUS Communication Protocol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VFD Single phase.jpg (48.3 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg VFD three phase.jpg (50.2 KB, 622 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VFD Manual.pdf (443.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf RS-485.pdf (37.6 KB, 65 views)
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 02:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Claus, are there any similarities with the spindle and VFD mentioned in this thread?:
Water Cooled Spindle Connections - Connecting the Spindle
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 04:51
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Not the same !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Claus, are there any similarities with the spindle and VFD mentioned in this thread?:
Water Cooled Spindle Connections - Connecting the Spindle
Hi Gerald,

The Info I provided is reffering to the chinese Spindle and VFD which I am going to use. It seems the same Spindle like Waynec uses but the VFD is different.
Waynec is using a VFD from Andeli.

Greetings
Claudiu
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 05:15
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
What is the name & model number of your VFD? (I don't see it at the front of the manual.

In a few month's time we will see all these funny names to threads and nobody will know what is inside of them - so everybody just starts another new thread . . . .

I wish that we could give a much clearer list of threads regarding these "Chinese" spindles (even they must have better names?).
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 06:07
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Quote:
What is the name & model number of your VFD? (I don't see it at the front of the manual.
Sorry I missed that: Model is Huanyang HY02D223B

Quote:
In a few month's time we will see all these funny names to threads and nobody will know what is inside of them - so everybody just starts another new thread . . . .
Sorry for that.

Quote:
I wish that we could give a much clearer list of threads regarding these "Chinese" spindles (even they must have better names?).
Letīs call em Fortune cookies !
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 13:26
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
I bought same spindle and VFD. It is 2.2KW 220V. I received some information from the seller no how to program the VFD.

I just tell you how to set up vfd as following
Firstly, adjust the PD013 to 8
Secondly, adjust the PD005 to 400
Thirdly, adjust the PD004 to 400
Finally, adjust the PD003 to 400
Note: you should set PD013, PD005 ,PD004,PD003 in order. It mean you should fistly set PD013, then PD005, then PD004, finally set PD003.
Note: after you set the all above, then please recheck the PD005, PD004, PD003 value is 400 or not to confimed that you already set it.
The reason we let you recheck is that if you do not set it at 400, then when you run the spindle motor, the spindle motor will be over-current, then the spindle will very hot and then within 5 minite, it will broken.
Regards Aoran
4. Note, please use the clean water to cool the spindle, and also do not let the dust to dirt the water. If the water not clean, it will lead the spindle to jam.
Old Sun 09 August 2009, 23:27
larry1larry
Just call me: larry

toronto
Canada
wary

The Chinese spindles look good.I am a bit wary of a company that does not know their spefications.From their spec chart:
Voltage 220
Amps 8
Power 2.2Kw
From what I know Watts=AmpsXVolts which in this case is 220X8=1760Watts.
In HP 2200Watts is 2200/746=2.94HP
1760Watts is 1760/746=2.35HP
I don't know where Porter Cable gets their specs from neither at 3.25HP.
15Amps at 115Volts would be 1725Watts and be 2.31HP.
Close enough and I would rather have the spindle with less noise.
Another thing they state on E-bay is you pay no duty and taxes as they send it as a gift.As far as I know this is against international law.Be carefull.
Larry
Old Sun 09 August 2009, 23:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Larry, a spindle is a 3-phase motor. A factor of sqrt3, amongst others, comes into play. There are 3 currents, carried in 3 circuits instead of just one.

Porter Cable, and other sellers in the US market, use a "peak" power similar to that used for car audio and ghetto-blasters. For "usable" power (RMS) multiply by 0.7 for a rough indication.
Old Sun 09 August 2009, 23:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1larry View Post
you pay no duty and taxes as they send it as a gift.As far as I know this is against international law.
There is no international law in this regard. It depends on the laws of the sending and the receiving countries. They break no laws by sending it out of their country. The onus is on the receiver to check if he is breaking laws in his country. In my country, I am allowed to receive gifts sent to me personally (not to my business name/address) up to a total value limit per year. I suspect that most countries have a similar import control system.
Old Mon 10 August 2009, 07:05
HSDUSA
Just call me: Eric

Hollywood,FL
United States of America
Claudiu, maybe I can be of help to you. What specific specs are you looking for in your spindle? Have you checked out HSD spindles? We have a few spindles that would probable fit your needs. What is your email?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read