MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 08 March 2014, 20:01
SEIKI
Just call me: MARK

TROY MI.
United States of America
Table/base prep for painting

Looking for advice and opinions from those that have painted their machines, how much effort did you put into preparing for paint and are you happy with the results?. The small parts I can sandblast in a cabinet sandblaster but the base obviously is a whole different animal. Thanks for your opinions and experiences.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 06:52
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I just brushed off any scale with anything that worked then cleaned with mineral spirits, let dry, sprayed primer and paint. Some go full boat by sandblasting, prime and paint with automotive type paint & sprayer which is what I wish I had done but could not because of the weather (and patience).
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 07:02
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You can use a closed cell foam cabinet roller. You could also put some hardener in the paint to make it tougher.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...e?cm_vc=-10005

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...=&cm_vc=-10005

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45123-11591-...ler&facetInfo=

No need to get to fancy with it since it will have stuff mounted all over it. Also if you two tone it by painting a few things like motor plates and rails black, it will also keeps ones eyes "busy".

I have painted equipment and boats with this method with good results.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 08:47
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I hit mine with a wire brush on a harbor freight slow speed buffer, just to knock the big stuff off, since my main beams were used and weathered.
Then like Tom, I wiped with a bunch of rags and mineral spirits, then primed and painted with Rustoleum products and a cheap HF HVLP gun.
Its a tool, not a work of art.
Make it look nice, but don't go overboard or you'll be afraid to get it dusty...
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 09:08
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
So far I have used 14 cans of spray paint on my machine, 6 of primer, 6 blue and 2 black. I may need 1 more blue, before it is done. In my case, I just pressure washed all the steel, before welding and painting.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 11:09
SEIKI

TROY MI.
United States of America
Thanks guys this is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks for the links Mike I haven't decided if I will roll it or use a spray gun. One thing for sure is I need the weather to warm up so I can get it outside.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 11:13
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
At least the sun comes out now.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 11:23
SEIKI

TROY MI.
United States of America
Yes just having the sunshine raises the spirits and changes your mood. Makes one realize how much you miss it. Never thought 40 degrees would be a heat wave.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 12:34
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
My shop is actually 65 inside today. been a couple months since its been that warm.
Old Sun 09 March 2014, 12:51
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I can't get mine up to that even with a jet heater, except today, and of coarse I'm not there today. Enjoy it while you can.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read