MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Fri 05 September 2008, 12:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Change in serial numbers . . . . . .

Okay, hope that most realised the serial number allocation was a light-hearted thing. On the suggestion of a veteran member, a separate section will be created for machines already cutting. I will stop the emphasis on painting and logo - the only criteria will be the machine's ability to cut or write something.

However, I would still allocate #9 and #10 for those wanting numbers, but no more after that.

Last edited by Gerald D; Mon 29 September 2014 at 00:05..
Old Fri 05 September 2008, 17:20
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I hope that I will be able to claim one of those numbers. If I can get my butt moving a little faster, I should be able to do it. There isn't much left to do.

Thanks
Old Fri 05 September 2008, 18:58
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Darn,
All the numbers will probably be gone by the time I have mine cutting.
Old Fri 05 September 2008, 19:08
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Number 4 is for sale, not the MechMate just the number.
Old Fri 05 September 2008, 20:12
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
Gerald,

I hope that I will be able to claim one of those numbers. If I can get my butt moving a little faster, I should be able to do it. There isn't much left to do.

Thanks

Nils,

Don't sacrifice quality for speed. You can have 13, if numbers run out.
Old Fri 05 September 2008, 21:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey guys, I didn't realise there is this much attachment to the numbers!

My dilemna is that the numbers are not an indicator of quality. Whereas most numbered machines are well built, there are some that could be better. And then there are some nice machines already cutting (even nicely painted ) that don't have a number. It is this latter group of MM's that prompted our thoughts to have a separate forum area for completed machines. Eg. Hugo in Venezuela, GrandPi in France, and not to forget my own machines in Cape Town. . The machine of David truecnc was close to getting the automatic serial number. . . . thank goodness it didn't.

Either numbers get allocated automatically (blue+logo+cutting) or get allocated on sequential "quality" builds. Snag is, I don't want to see a public discussion of whether someone's effort was good enough. Some of us are equipped and experienced to produce quality, while others deserve a bigger reward for climbing a steeper learning curve and putting in more effort.
Old Fri 05 September 2008, 22:58
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Point taken.Can I PLease book # 12 or the # 15 if no one objects.O and #20>30 "need to do something with the left over paint.
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 00:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Another possibility would be to continue the numbers on a fun basis, to the current "rules", but not to have them as sticky posts on top of this thread. Then we can have 2 topics; "Under Construction" and "Already Cutting", with some of the machines in the latter topic carrying numbers. (No sticky threads either side). How would this go down?
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 07:40
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
I like that idea.
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 07:44
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I would be satisfied with either one.
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 08:13
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Either way sound good to me too. I just like the idea of a serial number so you belong to the family. Sorta like a membership card.
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 08:21
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Gerald,

Very good points. Either way sounds fine.

On a side note: My wife is having a tough time at her work. So I filled her in on the S/N issue here and let her know what "real" problems are.
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 09:17
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Either way sounds good to me too.
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 09:19
William McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
"Some of us are equipped and experienced to produce quality, while others deserve a bigger reward for climbing a steeper learning curve..."

Good discussion, guys. I have started my machine after a couple of years on this forum, and fall into the latter catagory. In my sixty one years I have never welded, fabricated, or built anything like this before.

Yesterday I threaded some square bar, cut some angle and flat iron... and welded them together. I now have four parts which fit perfectly into some laser holes and will be used for proximities and stops...

Couldn't describe how good it felt to actually have bolts fit into homemade threads... and to have done this on an $89 drill press and a $50 garage sale wirefeed welder... and using the expertise of a bunch of guys who have been doing this most of their lives.

So for me, the education I am receiving ( I can now actually convert millimeters to inches in my head) and the accomplishment of actually building this beast is ample reward... thanks to all you guys...
Old Sat 06 September 2008, 11:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Bill, you made my day (especially with the millimeters!)

Okay, the two forum approach has been adopted - see the new front page layout.
Old Sun 07 September 2008, 02:55
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I don't care where you put my thread once I am done as long as you give me a number. I still want a number.......
Old Sun 07 September 2008, 12:54
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Numbers

Seems that it is about more than numbers here. I see many members having some pride in the whole MechMate contribution group. MechMate family?
Old Sun 07 September 2008, 22:50
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I was worried there for a while. I am VERY proud of my number 6....Everybody completing a MM should have his number....just like a little golden star on the forehead you got at primary school....man I feel good...
Old Tue 20 July 2010, 14:32
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Serial Number Discussion

(Moved From Another Thread)
He can have the serial number he wants. Others have received serial numbers out of order. When you work on these machines, you should be able to pick as long as it isn't used.
Old Tue 20 July 2010, 19:55
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Nils, I think I disagree with you.

The serial numbers convey some extra information about the approximate order in which the machines were completed - and thus their relative age and technology. It also helps us know how many machines there are.

If we start allowing any number, all kinds of problems pop up. Does it have to be an integer? Can it be huge? Can it be negative? And, to be pedantic, it won't be a SERIAL number if it's not assigned in a serial manner. It becomes more of a fashion statement number.

So, I like the idea of letting people wait a bit if they have an eye on a number that is coming up soon. But picking any old unused number is a step onto a slippery slope.
Old Tue 20 July 2010, 20:27
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Scott, Dennis and I waited until all three of ours were finished before we asked for numbers. If I would have asked for a number when I finished mine it would have been in the mid 20's
Old Tue 20 July 2010, 21:50
rotorzoomer
Just call me: Account - DISABLED

Account - DISABLED
Australia
From purely a very deep psychological point of view and as an incentive to complete MM builds one should be able to select from a POOL OF NUMBERS e.g. 0 - 99 then 100 - 199 e.t.c.

When i selected my mobile / cell phone number i spent nearly 1 hour in the store going through a pool of numbers. Call me crazy but numbers are important to people and it would add extra excitement to the MM knowing the pot of gold is waiting.

I reckon you might even be able to flush out those hundreds of builds never registered.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 01:36
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
We are going to disagree about this but I am sorry this is not that important. Some one move this topic to a new thread so that we don't tie up Jimmy's thread. Others have received numbers out of order. It isn't like we have 100s or 1000s of numbers.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 05:33
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Well the way I see it (Which means a lot ) is that the SN's are given out in order. If you want to wait for a number that is fine, but I will not skip ahead to give out a number. You just have to make sure I have a heads up about the number WHEN it is available. I won't recall 6 months back.

I hope to see the SN in the 100 and 1000 some day
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 06:11
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mike,

That is fine if you want to change the way numbers are given out but that is not what has happened in the past and it only happened a few times because some one wanted a special number. Check the log.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 07:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I started serial numbering as something light-hearted, and didn't think that folk would get so serious about it. Being a casual thing, I had no problems in folk wanting to skip a few numbers. Then some folk wanted to reserve numbers, and I didn't think this was fair. It became obvious that some people are taking this serial number issue a lot more seriously than what I was happy to go along with, and quite frankly it became a bit of a pain to keep track. John Higgins stepped in to help keep a register. Before I passed the baton to Mike, I was on the verge of making an autocratic decision that numbers will stop at 100.

The numbers seem a bit meaningless to me and our 5 assembled machines are not numbered. I know of a couple of machines that have had decals, been numbered, and then had the decals stripped off to render them incognito, due to fear of competitors building the same equipment. (notice how some photos of members are cropped to avoid showing the empty number space )
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 07:41
rotorzoomer

Account - DISABLED
Australia
We must not forget that MechMate is a brand and any ideas no matter how ridiculous will either add or subtract to what that brand stands for.

Custom serial numbers offers a feeling of customization but it's just a small part of a whole story that is deliberately built into the equation when trying to build a brand.

Even crazy ideas of giving your MM a nickname can be fun along side your serial number. See how Kobus_Joubert refers to his machine as BBB, its a lot of fun to see and can help differentiate the forum from others.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 07:56
rotorzoomer

Account - DISABLED
Australia
Gerald,

Your comment about people taking the serial number issue too seriously excited me because it reminded me about what i tell people when they come to me about marketing a product...QUOTE: "We have no idea what to do with this thing you just invented, so we will just release it into the market and let the world decide how it is to be used and what it is to become"

Things that are seemingly meaningless to some can be an obsession to others.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 08:23
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I am PROUD to have a number and now with all this discussion will put my PROUDLY #6 on my machine...maybe a BBB as well just for the fun of it.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 08:30
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
<chuckle> I should have known better than to go near this.

Nils, I'm happy to agree to disagree, and still be friends.

I'm all in favor of the light-hearted, pragmatic approach - whatever works.

But the real reason for this post is that I'm very amused at the idea of capping the serial numbers. IIRC, Gerald tried this approach once in the past - I think the last "final" number he announced was approximately 1/10th of 100. It turned into a good motivator for some of us, and led to a discussion about continuing the numbers.

I suspect that declaring serial numbers to be ending soon will always create a surge in activity followed by a request to continue the tradition. We humans are funny critters.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read