MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 16 December 2009, 15:20
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi John

Dims are 2510x1910 mm, 2.2kW Spindle, Bolted Table.

Thank you John
Old Wed 16 December 2009, 15:23
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixi View Post
Felicitari !!! Ti-ai facut un super cadou de Craciun !!! In mod clar daca nu o sa ajungi tu pe la mine sigur o sa te vizitez eu pt ca la vara plec din nou in excursie prin Europa cu moto si o sa ma opresc si pe la tine. Te sun maine.
Multumesc Marius,

Daca vi la Arad sigur facem si o tura enduro, sa te pregatesc pentru drumul lung prin Europa! Vorbim...
Old Wed 16 December 2009, 19:14
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Update Builder's Log

Thanks Claus,

Updated Builder's Log is here.
Old Wed 16 December 2009, 19:17
Castone
Just call me: Leo #41

Soddy Daisy , Tn
United States of America
Very good!
Old Wed 16 December 2009, 19:32
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Xmas

Good Job glad to see you made it

Last edited by bolingerbe; Wed 16 December 2009 at 19:33.. Reason: typo
Old Thu 17 December 2009, 09:30
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Had no time to do some cutting, I want to finish up properly all details because afterwards I know I will find a reason for not fixing them ever.

So that`s the pump I got for Spindle cooling. It is used on old Dacia cars. They try to get rid of all communist relicts, but before that I buy some spare...
SNC01091.jpg

Today I started the Control Box and had the first failure!!!
It was the computer Source which I used for Gecko Fans and BOB. It simply started whenever it wanted without any logic reason.
I got this industrial source with 2 separate 12 VDC outputs and 8 A, which will be enough for BOB, Gecko Fan, Spindle cooling pump and not to forget the LED LIGHTS...
SNC01092.jpg

I did setup the Proxi on the Z, this is how its done. Ugly but working.
I also tapped holes for mechanical stops in Z. Now its complete.
SNC01088.jpgSNC01089.jpg

Last is the top view of the fixture for the dust system. This way I have lots of space between spider and dust extraction tube.
SNC01085.jpg

...but tomorrow I will cut some...

Greetings
Claus
Old Fri 18 December 2009, 06:01
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Did some manual cut today just to see how it works and also to check quality of cut.

Please comment if you something like lost steps or so...
CIMG1196.JPG

CIMG1199.JPG

I`ll post Youtube link when everything is uploaded.

Bye
Old Fri 18 December 2009, 06:14
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Claudiu if you want I can make Gcode file with 3D and another with a 2D in order to use it for testing. This way I think you can't discover such a problem.
Regarding the water pump: call the Holzmann company. They have the complete kit.
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 12:36
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Got to cut a file today which I got from Marius for testing.

Feedrate was set from G-code to 2500 mm.
First half of the cutting I left the Speed at its values.
Cutting dir was from the top right to left and downward.

Second half of the knot I did some Feed overriding and went up to double the speed. It never reached 5000 because of acceleration set to 75 and also slowing down when Z in action. So Mach showed speed of 4200 to max 4600.
CIMG1213.JPG

After I played with Speed setting some errors occured in the carvings.
Is this because of speed or lost steps. You can see clearly in the image the cuts.
CIMG1212.JPG

Also because the mdf was too small for the carving I stopped before the end of the G Code.
Marius was the file setup for one step or multiple step over?

So, any opinions?

I also tried to upload some films on youtube, but as I live in RO and we had a little snow even uploading is a problem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1214.JPG (180.0 KB, 1111 views)
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 13:28
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Claus, those marks do not look like lost steps. If they were lost steps then your pattern will change from that point to the end of the file. Your pattern looks like it recovered immediately after the marks?
Old Sun 20 December 2009, 14:21
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
What is also interesting is the sides (left and right in the pic) are not regular even though there is no disalignment in the pattern, thats why I wondered if it`s just a rough pass or errors? I guess I have to do some more testing.

Last edited by Claudiu; Sun 20 December 2009 at 14:23..
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 06:41
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Something to think about, when you use the percentage feed increase on the Mach screen I think it tries to increase the jog speed also. I have my jog speed set as high as it can go without missing any steps, therefore an increase will cause it to miss lot of steps in jog mode. I learned this the hard way it took several screwed up items to realize this was the problem. Now I just edit the file to change the feed rate.
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 06:45
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
This is strange... The file was made for one step only (not to make you to lose time just for testing). But one thing is sure: those marks are not because of losing steps. I never had such an issue.
I forgot to tell you one thing: during the cutting operation never "play" with other software. It could send some false signals. Try to avoid opening or closing other programs.
Old Fri 25 December 2009, 16:04
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Did some cutting today.
Used Aspire, pocket, 1.7 mm rounded end mill, 12000 rpm, 2400 mm/sec.
I`ve put a guitar pick sou can imaginr the size.

SNC01141.jpg
SNC01143.jpg

SNC01140.jpg
Old Sat 26 December 2009, 03:24
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Here some videos of the cuttings.
one, two and three.

Greetings
Claus
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 14:12
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Hi guys,

I present my very first finished job.(very tiny)
Against all beliefs I waited to cut big jobs, never thought this machine was capable of such precision on very very small pieces due to its mass and size! Great Blue MM

Job Size: 68x25mm
I did this piece with an 0,8 mm EndMill, Step 0,5 mm for the pocketing and 1,6mm Endmill, step 0,65 for the profile.
After starting first two bits broke during cutting due to overspeeding (1400mm\sec). I had good results with 350 mm\sec. (would have gone a bit faster but I didn`t have any tiny router bits left and wanted to deliver)

I did four pieces which results in a 65000 line G-Code from Aspire. Working time 5 h !!!

I would have liked to give it a clear finish like Nils said but I have no hidrogen.

I loved the time spent by the machine admiring it working.Great learning.

Greetings
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 14:20
aniljangra
Just call me: Anil #44

Delhi
India
Send a message via Skype™ to aniljangra
Nicely done Claus, You are right about the resolution capability of the MM, I am testing mine doing tiny stuff and MM seems to beat my other router with leadscrews. Spring loaded rack/pinion amazingly show no sign of backlash.
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 22:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The "millimeter-challenged" folk probably don't realise that these things are the size of key-tags. Only 2.5" x 1".

Good learning Claus, but maybe you need a much smaller table!
Old Thu 07 January 2010, 01:06
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
I hope to get some day also a bigger job when a grow up...
Old Thu 07 January 2010, 10:19
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The "millimeter-challenged" folk probably don't realise that these things are the size of key-tags. Only 2.5" x 1".

HEY! I resemble that

Thanks for showing off that small piece Claudiu. That is going to be the incentive for making two of these machines!
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 01:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You can see how much the bit was bending. I am surprised that it didn't break higher up - maybe the break point was where the cutting edges stopped.

No comment on the fingers and using another bit to clear the first one, except that dentists often work near their fingers with high speed cutters
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 02:01
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Claus,

What CAM software are you using?

I would suggest an old tooth brush instead of another bit. I work close to the fast moving end of the router but that is just dangerous. Another thing you can do is "Pause" or "FeedHold" the job, clean the area and continue. Much safer - take it from one with experience.
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 02:23
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Nils, I use Aspire. Regarding the cleaning, I had to start the job over again after breaking the first bit, then I also reduced spindle speed to 5000 rot/min and the acrilic was more cippy then melted. I`m still learning a lot... Gotto go buy me a toothbrush...
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 03:33
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Nice start Claudiu ! You should do something with the resolution. 5 hours to do 4 small pieces is way to much. But it's a start wich is more than OK. This summer I'll visit you for sure ! Don't forget me with the cable chains.
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 10:51
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Need Help...miscut

For warming up I cut out of scrap MDF this Collet Holder...
Collet Holder.jpg

Then I did a business Sign...
UpperCut.jpg

Then I used Aspire to cut the UpperCut Logo into Solid Wood.
First I used a toolpath to surface the wood....everything worked out fine.

Then I did a Rough Cut with a 6 mm Spiral...and by the the end, allmost final depth was achieved, the cutter did not go to the starting position but somewhere halfway. From there it cut another step but of course got one of the letters. Before I could do something the Job was ruined...

I checked the G-Code, but could not find anything unusual , so I guess Aspire did not make the mistake. Is it possible if one step is missing the machine does not make a move of 20 cm?

I do not know why it didn`t go all the way to the starting point. I guess we cannot speak of loosing steps here because it must be lots of them...

I`m clueless. If you have ever experienced something like this please

By the way, chipload was perfect...see it here and here

Greetings
Claus

Last edited by Claudiu; Fri 08 January 2010 at 10:59..
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 11:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
A 20 cm error is a very big error . . . that is not a lost step, or 5 losts steps, or 100 lost stops.....20cm is a lot more than that.

If you are absolutely sure that your g-code is correct, then check if the pinion gear has come loose on the motor shaft.
Old Fri 08 January 2010, 13:55
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiu View Post

Job Size: 68x25mm
I did this piece with an 0,8 mm EndMill, Step 0,5 mm for the pocketing and 1,6mm Endmill, step 0,65 for the profile.
After starting first two bits broke during cutting due to overspeeding (1400mm\sec). I had good results with 350 mm\sec. (would have gone a bit faster but I didn`t have any tiny router bits left and wanted to deliver)

Greetings
Is your figure of 1400 mm/sec correct? By my calculations that's 3307 inches/min and would make for an extremely fast machine, even at your reduced speed of 350mm/sec that works out to 826 inhes/min.

Jason
Old Sun 10 January 2010, 02:05
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
some more work done....

MMLemnex.jpg

Lemnex Logo.jpg

You can watch pocketing and vCarving on Youtube.

Greetings
Claus
Old Sun 10 January 2010, 02:29
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Claus,

That is a nice sign... how long did it take you to do that?

Can you share some pictures of your dust foot? It looks interesting. It appears you don't have it associated with your Z.

Thanks

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts