MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 19 March 2008, 15:15
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Hello Gerald and rest of the MechMate addicts.
I am posting my results for taking away the dust that was killing me. Is a very low cost budget project but works fine and takes away the 95% off the dust that was all over. The turbine is a 3/4 HP and I had to use two houses of 2" each because it was impossible to get a light 4" house. Suction is enough and noise is low and can be on all day with out getting hot. Next I will build it more esthetically, I just cant hold more dust.
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.2 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.6 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (79.2 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (78.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (77.8 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (80.2 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (84.0 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (81.2 KB, 503 views)
Old Fri 20 June 2008, 19:53
dmoore
Just call me:

Near Final Photos of MechMate Dust Management System

Here are some nearly final photos of the dust management system. I've cut this show out of .7" clear PlexiGlass. The horse hair brush is expoxied to the plastic. All in all it works well. All the parts for this setup are in my master BOM. If someone has a better idea for affixing the brush to the PlexiGlass, I'd love to know it.

On to the photos:

From the bottom looking up:

From the side:

A photo of the fully adjustable, two level height adjustment:
Old Fri 20 June 2008, 20:26
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
General thoughts on dust feet/hoods

David, is that "strip brush" from mcmaster?. I considered brush but ended up going with vinyl. What I was going to do with the brush was rout a channel and tap it in with a pin punch. With "press fit" tolerances, it should never come out. Obviously, that means that you would have to enlarge the plexiglas a bit. Or, for our friends in South Africa "perspex". If you felt like it, you could dribble some epoxy in on top of the metal strip.
Old Fri 20 June 2008, 21:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I have a sample of McMaster 7372T3 and will be making a sheet metal foot with bent down lip for the brush to "clip" onto. I like long bristle brushes so that they can move over clamps. Router guys will use shorter bristles than spindle guys because the spindle can reach deeper into a foot.

With our first foot, I soldered a metal-backed brush to the top plate of the foot. Very tricky to control the heat and not melt the bristles. That brush is worn out now (like an old broom) after 2 years and it is clear that brushes should be designed for easy replacement.
Old Fri 20 June 2008, 21:34
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Shlaes View Post
David, is that "strip brush" from mcmaster?
Yes, it is the horse hair strip brush from McMaster, part #8801T26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Shlaes View Post
What I was going to do with the brush was rout a channel and tap it in with a pin punch.
I considered that but due to the single-sided cutting design, I would only be able to cut a slot in one of the sides. I also tried using a trim router (with my wood prototypes) to cut a grove but was not happy with the results.

I had much better results with the wood version of the shoe. With wood, you can take a stapler and simply put alternating staples right below the metal strip.

I also tried the vinyl and I think I like the brush better. It seems to stay straighter, less little particles seem to escape and with the clear top, I can see what's going on.

I'd love to see someone take the design I posted and improve the design.

Last edited by dmoore; Fri 20 June 2008 at 21:38..
Old Fri 20 June 2008, 22:22
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
I really didn't want to show this picture. It's just a preliminary dust foot constructed in less than one hour. It works remarkable well, but it will be replaced with a "permanent" dust foot. Maybe it will stimulate some ideas. The dust on the channels is before the dust foot was installed. Absolutely no dust now.

Dust Foot.jpg
Old Sat 21 June 2008, 07:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, what does that "hood" do when it gets up close to a g-clamp?
Old Sat 21 June 2008, 07:40
Art
Just call me: Art #2

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
crv file

Great project. I can't download the crv file, apparently the link is broken.
Old Sat 21 June 2008, 08:06
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Gerald,

I screwed the MDF down to the spoil board. There is plenty of clearance from the G (actually C in the Northern Hemisphere ) clamps.

The hood was my son's idea. He was visiting for a couple of days and is into RC hydrofoil boats. The hood is just some left over 6 inch flex hose cut down the middle and an additional piece at the far end to seal that end.

When the hood does hit something, it just flex's and rides over the material or clamp.
Old Mon 07 July 2008, 22:40
Art

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
My version

This is my version. I have 7" of travel so I didn't make the version that opened. The base is from Corian but will be replaced with clear plastic. The yellow frame bolts to the Y carriage. The travel bottoms out 1" above the bed. I will make another foot that will allow the router to pass through for when I am doing more than 3" deep. Also shown the bitch in charge. If I am slow in going to the shop she starts barking. She showed up about 8 months ago and was skin and bone. Now she has put on 16 pounds and is at 49 pounds of bone and muscle and has turned out to be a real sweat heart..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DustFoot1.jpg (60.7 KB, 638 views)
Old Tue 08 July 2008, 00:10
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Art,

She does look like she is in charge. Nice dust collector!
Old Tue 08 July 2008, 10:43
Art

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
Can't post pictures

For some reason I can't post the other picture.
Old Mon 14 July 2008, 23:10
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I need some help. I can lay my hands on a double bag dust system for a good price. The problem is it's a 380volt 3 phase motor. The idea is to buy it and replace the motor with a single phase 220 volt motor (1.5 kW ) that I already have...will this work? Suggestions ?
Old Mon 14 July 2008, 23:28
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus try Geerlings in the Westrand they have good prices on new ones or If you can wait Austro have a IN house show next Week Usually there are some bargains.If you can`t find one I might just upgrade then I have one of mine stiil up in Jozi that I can sell to you. For me to go up and get it is more expensive than to buy a new one down here in George.( it is 220 v and bought it from Austro ) phone me.
Old Mon 14 July 2008, 23:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If the two motors are of the same kW and rpm, then it could work. But try to get a twin capacitor single-phase motor because the starting time and current for the big fan's inertia is quite high. You might have to get a "slow" circuit breaker for the fan's start-up. (Out here it is often the orange toggle for the breaker).
Old Tue 15 July 2008, 06:23
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thanks, Hennie your phone is not working for some reason, tried to phone you a couple of times today without luck. If you are online give me a buzz, otherwise I will try tomorrow again.
Old Tue 15 July 2008, 07:24
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Problem with noise can`t hear the phone ring.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts