MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 18 August 2010, 02:04
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Kobus

I'm not that flash with electronics but as posted previously it looks like a chinese model similar to the one I have, the is a yahoo group for these things (called 7x12minilathe) with plenty of information on exactly what you are discussing and many people with more knowledge of these things myself (I believe there is a circuit concept for a speed controller also) I'd suggest this group would be worth a look.

Jed
Old Wed 18 August 2010, 08:57
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus can you use a bench drill press with the pulley`s? (to reduce speed) that way you don`t need to sukkel with electronics.)If yes you know where my dad stays. there should be two one working and one where the motor packed up or probably needing a cap.
Old Wed 18 August 2010, 13:41
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's Hennie, but that setup will be bigger than the lathe

I will push through with the electronics...am sure I will get it going.
Old Thu 19 August 2010, 04:31
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I meant to post my comment much earlier on this DC speed controller thingy, tried to put up those info I kept aside for moments like this...
but I failed to find the circuit for it. I am positive I kept some useful circuits somewhere... but no luck finding it.
Anyway, for DC motor speed control, PWM is what modern electronics guru will use...
& in this age of time, microprocessor seems easy & cost effective for the purpose. Have a look here
and here
here
Old Thu 19 August 2010, 04:59
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thanks Ken, but most of the circuits are for low voltage and low current. Like I said I need this thing to go from 25 volt DC to 200 volt DC.
Old Thu 19 August 2010, 05:09
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
The trick is in the power transistor... you can use the micro processor to generate the PWM necessary & then use a mosfet or something which can handle 200Vdc (which is common) as the current amplifier, that should do the trick.
Old Thu 19 August 2010, 09:58
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Kobus, in the design I pointed to above, you would replace the MOSFET with one that meets your needs (N-Channel). The IRF840B seems appropriate. As Ken points out, you simply need a source of pwm pulses that come in at somewhere between 4v and 30v (the MOSFET gate switches on between 2 and 4V, and can survive up to 30v).

You want to control the source with a simple knob. The approach I pointed to above uses an analog timer-based oscillator circuit that is directly controlled by the potentiometer. A micro-processor based approach would do an analog to digital conversion to get the value of the knob, and then use software to convert that into the PWM signal on an output pin. Inserting the micro-processor gives an opportunity to vary the characteristics of the PWM using software rather than component parts. It's really just a question of whether you want to spend your tweaking time at the bench adjusting electronic components, or at the desk debugging software.

If you do build this, please be careful. That's enough voltage to hurt running around that circuit board. Don't forget to heat sink your MOSFET!

So the four building blocks are: high voltage DC power supply, low voltage DC power supply, PWM pulse generator, and power switching stage (MOSFET). You've got choices for each block.
Old Tue 24 August 2010, 12:51
Belli
Just call me: Greg

Johannesburg
South Africa
Hi Kobus,

The controller you need is a single quadrant (1Q) SCR based controller. Bongfiglio has them but the price might not appeal to you(?), probably over R1000. I have a good design but it requires a double sided PCB and some PT which might not appeal to you either. Saftronics used to manufacture them too but I don't know if they still do (or if they are even still in business), I have never seen a kit of such a design (SCR based). There are kits available using a thyristor (Velleman) for probably around R400 and they would work well.
Greg
Old Tue 24 August 2010, 23:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Greg, but I think I am sorted...will know this afternoon IF our Postal service make good on their promises of overnight delivery.
I spoke to my brother-in-law that gave me the lathe. I mention that I am having difficulty in finishing the lathe as the controller is missing. He then suddenly remembered that there was some sort of box with it when he bought it on the auction. I asked him to check if there is a PC-board in it. He came back and told me that there is a PC board, toggle switch and pot.....Everything seems complete.
When I receive it, I can check if it works, if not it should be a simple matter of fixing it.
Old Wed 25 August 2010, 10:52
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well, the Post Office delivered on time. I could not wait to get started.

Stripped the PC board out.....had to fixer out all the loose wires.
DSC01494.JPG

Plate indicating Machine details
DSC01496.JPG

Looks like TYN410's doing all the hard work

DSC01499.JPG

And there she is....all cleaned up, polished with all the parts back where they belong. Have to replace the 5k POT with a new one that has a knob. Then a nice sticker showing ON/OFF FORWARD/REVERSE etc.

Thanks for everybody that tried to help.
DSC01504.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01501.JPG (68.6 KB, 987 views)
Old Sat 28 August 2010, 08:17
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I promised that I will have 2 chairs on display at our annual Woodworking Fair next Saturday in Benoni. So today I had to finish them. Also fixed the rocking chair as we forgot the bottom supports on the seat. All done and ready for the fair.
DSC01507.JPG

With the help from old BBB is was easy work to make 2 chairs...and they look the same ..

These chairs are a bit wider than normal....just for us NORMAL big people.
Old Sat 28 August 2010, 08:59
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Excellent job man.
Old Sat 28 August 2010, 09:35
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nice Chairs Kobus. Are they your design?
Old Sat 28 August 2010, 10:13
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Marius. Please send my your new e-mail. by PM

No Heath, I borrowed a set of templates from a friend and made that 2 seater bench for my friends wedding a while back.
I then went and put in V-Carve Pro, now I do all the pockets and outlines and it is then a matter of putting it together.

I wanted to make another bench, but after planing the wood I came in under 20mm thick. I then decided to make these oversize chairs rather than a bench.
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 11:45
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
At the Woodworking fair last weekend I had a lot of interest from potential clients. One of the first jobs...that had to be finished by this weekend.... was this plate to celebrate a 60th anniversary. After I finished it last night, the client requested I make the stand as well, so this afternoon after work I quickly designed the stand and cut it from MDF.

Sorry for the poor quality, but my camera battery was flat and I had to use a cellphone
IMG00253.jpg
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 23:50
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gee hom gas Kobus.Ek kry terugvoering van die verskering later in die dag,ek hoop net nie ons goed staan vas in daai verkeers knoop in China.
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 03:21
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
How very insincere of you Andrew - go sell your stuff some where else SPAMMER.
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 04:24
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Ross,
What do you smoke mate, your message makes no sense!!
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 04:51
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusL View Post
Ross,
What do you smoke mate, your message makes no sense!!
Hi Marius - I am a victim of retrospective editing of the post. A spammer who has advertised four times on this forum by posting links to a furniture store, posted a link selling furniture once again.

Did I imagine this? - here is the original text

Looking Nice stuff .
Spacify offers sparkling contemporary dining table, contemporary dining chairs, upholstered dining chairs, Italian leather dining chairs, contemporary dining furniture and contemporary dining tables.
upholstered dining room chairs (http://www.spacify.com/contemporary-dining.htm)

I was a bit dirty with spammer "andrewjones" as I really enjoy seeing what Kobus has made and did not enjoy him leveraging his own business off such an interesting thread in such an insincere way.

Regards
Ross

Last edited by Surfcnc; Wed 08 September 2010 at 04:53..
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 05:12
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Ross,
I take note, I did not see any spam on my side. Does he send it to your private email or is it on the forum?
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 05:17
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Marius

It came through on my email for a subscribed link, then was also visible on the forum momentarily.

No problem at all, people are always telling me I make no sense. I'm quite used to it actually. hehe

Regards
Ross
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 05:25
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Ross,
Making sense has nothing to do with the creator of it but with the receiver thereof. I am sure things always makes sense to you. Makes you wonder.

These days the crooks are much more creative than us normal guys.
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 13:49
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Marius, Ross,
Mike or moderators will keep the spammers at bay, but sometimes others posts do not get cleaned up right away. Check back a few weeks from now and all this might be cleaned up.
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 14:03
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
House keeping complete SPAMMER eradicated .. ie bant for life.
Old Wed 08 September 2010, 14:11
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Looks like I missed all the action
Old Mon 27 September 2010, 09:53
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I finished that little Mini Lathe.. Ended up building a new driver working at 110 volt. My boss was so impressed with it that he made me an offer I could not refuse.....sold the lathe to him.... handsome profit.

Found this bigger one...850mm between center with a massive chuck. Motor mounting plate was missing and the slide handle did not move the carriage left or right.

Made a new plate, wired up the 2 x cap motor , opened the gearbox and found one gear has broken the shear pin. Fixed that and now it is working like a charm.

These lathes were built in South Africa under licence from Angelini Vittore by the 600 company.
DSC01512.JPG

DSC01513.JPG

DSC01514.JPG
Old Sun 24 October 2010, 10:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Since old BBB is waiting for his new computer...buying through my brothers computer shop... the neighborhood is quite.

This weekend I got an order from the BOSS to make a table for one of the rooms. Just to show that one NEEDS a CNC router, this is what I came up with...no curves, no shapes, just a BASIC rectangle table with square legs....BORING....

So for anybody out there still wondering if he or she should build a CNC Router....GO FOR IT!!!!!
DSC01523.JPG
Old Sun 24 October 2010, 23:01
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Hi Kobus,
Very proffesional looking! Hardwood does make a good looking piece.
I admit that I do not have a lot off knowledge on furniture manufacturing.
Did you do the top on old BBB -completely - including the frame corner miters?
And did you dowel the top of the legs to the fame(skirting)?
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 00:28
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
No Johan, like I said..BBB is out of action and everything was done manually by hand and workshop tools. A while ago I made a MITRE SLED with my MechMate and used it to cut the mitres. The legs sit in the corner of the skirt and is supported with triangle blocks both sides.
The Blackwood sides are joined with Biscuit joints to the Matumi main piece top.
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 01:11
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Remeber old BBB is just a tool and its how you apply that tool that counts, Looking at that table, you seem more than capable of applying all your tools - the manual and computerised types. Getting 4 accurately mitred corners around a solid wood center panel is not that easy - something you have appeared to achieve without the help of the little blokes running around inside your stepper motors

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts