MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 40. Z-Slide
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 03 January 2009, 15:27
hans.arnell
Just call me: Hasse #14

Soderhamn
Sweden
Copied from another thread:

The bottle is for the modified gasspring, with a bicycle pump i can adjust the gasspring to the weight of the spindle

Old Sun 04 January 2009, 02:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This is a dangerous experiment!

A typical gas spring holding 15kg on its 8mm rod is charged to 30 bars (400psi) Do not saw it open to see what is inside!
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 03:56
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
My question is why do you think it is necessary to make the slide adjustable?

In the USA, the price of the gas slides are inexpensive. If you are using a router, you buy one. Later, you decided you want a spindle, you buy the right size one for the spindle.

I would like to understand you thinking.
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 04:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Nils, he already had a discharged gas spring. And he is in Sweden where things are not that accessible as in the USA. So, at the cost of nearly nothing, he has something that he can learn from. I applaud his approach!
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 04:08
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I realize that we have an advantage over others with regards to the availablity of some products. An experimenting is way we have new products, I was wondering what he was thinking.

Thanks
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 04:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
. . . . . we have an advantage over others with regards to the availablity of some products . . .
I would tend to call that a disadvantage! Ingenuity goes out the window if you can solve everything with a wallet.
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 07:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Okay, back to the technicals of the topic . . . . . .

A standard gas spring has no seals on its "piston head" . . . . it is only a sliding guide and it purposely allows gas to leak between the top and the bottom chambers.

If you want a modified gas spring to work in the pressure range under 120psi (bicycle pump or shop compressor), a sealing piston is needed. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans.arnell View Post
. . replaced the piston in the cylinder with one with a rubber o-ring the cylinder is 18 mm that makes 6 bars to hold 15 kg . . .
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 07:27
Nikonauts
Just call me: Nikonauts

Johore
Malaysia
Sweeden makes Volvo, which i believe use gas spring. I don't think it's about inavailability, it's just making use of what's available and "playing with it". Judging from the picture where he use plastic bottle i assume he knows his stuff (max pressure limit of the bottle etc.), or maybe it's the opposite.

However this is an interesting topic, sorry for going off topic , move on.

Last edited by Nikonauts; Sun 04 January 2009 at 07:32..
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 07:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Using a plastic bottle as a pressure tank is fairly low risk - when it does explode, the fragments are of such light weight that they do little harm. Like a party balloon or plastic bag bursting. Anyway, a google on PET soda bottle pressure tells you these things can go to 200psi and are loafing at less than 100psi. If a potential explosion has you nervous, put a few socks over it.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read