MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 05 March 2007, 18:44
Dave Carpentier
Just call me:

New member introducing himself - Linto Lakes MN

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself.

I am a Software Engineer by profession and also have electronics background.

I'm a CNC hobbyist that has a built a CNC router in 2006. Now I want to upgrade to a more "robust" (and larger) design.

I found this site via the CNCZone forum. In looking at this design for the MechMate, I find that this is what I am looking for. Looks to be a solid design with little flex unlike my present machine.

I had little knowledge of CNC until last year (2006). I've learned alot about this addictive hobby in the past year, but still consider myself a "novice". I look forward to learning more from this site and hopefully start the build for the MechMate this year!

You can view my current CNC router at http://cnc.hobby-site.com/cnc.htm

...Dave
Old Mon 05 March 2007, 19:01
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Welcome Dave...

Looks nice your little router there, and it seems to work very well also...
Hope you settle in nicely inhere.

Once again, welcome.
Old Mon 05 March 2007, 21:52
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Welcome Dave! Judging from your past experience and website, you are going to be one of the most useful guys here!
Old Wed 07 March 2007, 04:41
Dave Carpentier
Just call me:

Thanks for the welcome! Now, I don't know how "useful" I'll be to this site, but I'll give it my best. I don't have a lot of metal working skills. This is one area I'll need to work on, specifically welding. I'll need to purchase a welder. Any recommendations for a hobbyist type welder?
Old Wed 07 March 2007, 06:05
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

For the Mechmate, I would reccomend a welder that puts out minimum 200Amps of current, some parts are pretty thick and need somewhat more power to weld beautiful.
Old Wed 07 March 2007, 06:26
Gerald_D
Just call me:

I hate to think that you need to buy a welder to build a MechMate - rather hire one or borrow a friend for a day who owes you a favour. This doesn't feel right that you should learn to weld on this machine, but I suppose you have to start somewhere if you have your mind set on welding. Suggest you go and do a course at a night school first to see if you like it before buying the welder.
Old Wed 07 March 2007, 07:13
Dave Carpentier
Just call me:

OK, I'll have my brother-in-law do the welding. He has the experience and tools to do the job. I'll just have to provide him some refreshments (i.e. beer) to do the job.

When I was younger I did some welding with a carbon arc torch. I still may purchase a MIG welder & mini-lathe for other projects I have in mind. And yes, night school at the local community college on welding would be helpful. I had already considered that.

One just doesn't have enough tools!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read