MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 21 June 2009, 09:44
Kenrbass
Just call me: Ken

Richmond Tx
United States of America
Can I run geckos from the output of the SB board?

I put a new 4g board in my bot and am working on another machine that will use the old shopbot board. I am wondering if there is a way to use that board and either use the outputs to drive geckos, or "tap into" the board signals to run them.

I have gotten comfortable with the bot files and would like to stick with them if possible.

Has anyone done this and if so please help with any schematics or pictures of what you have done.

I an old electronics tech, but it's been a while since I have traced components on a board. It seems the lines have gotten smaller, or my eyes have gotten worse. lol

Kenneth
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 21:11
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Ken,

Only a couple of people on this site have a shopbot. I don't. Have you tried asking your question on the Shopbot forum? You might have more luck getting an answer over there.

Good luck.
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 07:05
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Ken,

Shopbot used several different controllers with several different pulse/direction configurations. If your controller outputs a step pulse and a direction signal for each stepper motor, then you can drive a Gecko with that board. You may have to invert the signals, but you could use the Shopbot controller card. There might be some re-design necessary and there will surely be some cost involved. Only you can decide whether the project is worth the time and cost.
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 11:08
Kenrbass

Richmond Tx
United States of America
Thanks mike, I have been tracing the step and pulse inputs to the current drivers and it seems pretty straight foreward. I was wondering if anyone had left a board alone and used the normal outputs to slave geckos, (maybe supply 5 volts instead of 48 to the drive inputs) or if I would be better off cutting those signals loose from the current drivers and sending them to the geckos.

It doesn't seem as complicated as chasing tv circuits used to be. lol

Kenneth
Old Mon 22 June 2009, 12:31
Kenrbass

Richmond Tx
United States of America
The more I think about it the more it seems like using the ttl signals is better than a current sent to a stepper.

I was thinking someone may have done it before and knew the what if's.

If it won't fly I will already have the geckos for the bob I guess.

kenneth

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read