MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 06 January 2010, 16:27
cordell
Just call me: cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
mm parts made of aluminum?

Hello, I am new here and very interested in building the mechmate. could the metal parts that are bent be made from aluminum?, we have two cnc routers at work that could cut these parts. dont have access to laser or jet. thanks!
Old Wed 06 January 2010, 22:35
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Can you weld alu?

You must realise that using alu instead of steel will give a machine that 3 times more flexible.
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 20:23
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
depends on the thickness of the aluminum and grade of aluminum... Im using half inch aluminum for my z axis doesnt flex at all... If you have a friend in the metal fabrication business im sure he can help you on the properties and metal types you can use.
Old Fri 15 January 2010, 15:49
cordell
Just call me: cordell

johnson city,tn
United States of America
Thanks everyone for your reply, It was just a thought, wasnt trying to change the great design Gearld has, it was what we use alot of at work and have access to. Went ahead ordered the parts in steel from Leonard. Can't wait to get started. Love this forum, alot of talented people from different nations here in one spot, cant beat that. Thanks Gearld for the forum and the great work you have done and still doing, looking forward to sharing some of my (hopefully) progress.
Old Fri 15 January 2010, 18:38
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
Yeah this is a great design... But also im sure gerald and the rest of the mm boys would understand that you gotta use whats readily available and what best suits you.
Old Thu 12 August 2010, 13:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The SB gantry of aluminum is known to sag:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11379
Old Sat 14 August 2010, 12:02
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The SB gantry of aluminum is known to sag:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11379
that is an older shopbot that they are talking about the newer ones are very ridge

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read