MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 20 October 2010, 06:11
Mojo
Just call me: SolarImages

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Electric kit i have found opinions please

http://www.motiontek.ca/CNCcontrol.html

This is a company in canada. I have looked at the specs on there kit but being still very new I am a bit lost with all the information given and trying to compare between 203v geico's and oriental motors PK296A1A-SG7.2 (i know the kit is missing one motor but the company will add drivers and motors as needed)
Any thoughts would be very welcome thanks.

Last edited by Mojo; Wed 20 October 2010 at 06:17..
Old Wed 20 October 2010, 06:59
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Use the PK296A2A-SG7.2 motor, not the PK296A1A-SG7.2 motor. The A2A motor has 1.5mH inductance, so it will run very well with a 35VDC power supply. The A1A motor will be underpowered, even with an 80VDC power supply, which is the maximum voltage that the Gecko G203v stepper drivers can handle.

The 23-size motors listed in the kits are too small. You would have to use a belt-drive transmission with a 6:1 or 7.2:1 ratio to get usable torque. A belt-drive with that ratio would have to have a center to center distance of more than 8-inches to have proper teeth contact in the 10-tooth or 12-tooth gear.

The kits show a switching power supply without external capacitors. Stepper motors need lots of current, not constant voltage. You would need to add at least 10,000 uF of external capacitance, 20,000 uF would be better.

The fan is mounted in the side of the case. If you cut MDF, you would have a case full of dust. The recommended procedure is to mount the fan inside the case to circulate the air inside the case. The case itself acts as a giant heat sink.
Old Wed 20 October 2010, 13:06
Mojo
Just call me: SolarImages

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Thanks a for the input

Thanks for the in-depth insight i had not noticed the A1A model number difference (that is big almost purchased the wrong motor) Did not read that the fan wanted to be sealed inside earlier but makes perfect sense as well for mdf. thank you for taking the time for this insightful input.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read