MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 06 November 2013, 15:47
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Can any PCGND be used a COM on G203v?

Hi, my BOB doesn't have a COM per motor, but it does have COM for relays. can I use just the standard gnd from the chassis, or do I need to feed it 24v relay common? It's any PC gnu isn't it?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 16:07
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Com

What BOB are you using.
A COM is a com.
One thing I did see while reading is do not daisy chain (hook up one after the other). Run each device back to the COM. Somehow I do not see why this is so, but I trust the author knows best.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 17:54
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
There are two issues to consider. COMMON on the G203v is GROUND. COMMON on the G201 and G202 is +5V. You're using the G203v, so COMMON is GROUND. If all power supplies have a common GROUND (the GROUND wire is connected to the SAME terminal or post), then everything should work.

I connected all GROUNDS to the GROUND STUD, including the A.C. GROUND, the computer chassis, the computer's POWER SUPPLY ground, the AUXILIARY ground from the power supply supplying power to the stepper motors, and all other ground lines, including ground wires from every axis on the machine and a bare ground wire going through the dust collector.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 20:54
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Thank you Mike! As usual, your knowledge and expertise are very appreciated.

When it comes to dir and stp, do I use the positive for the g203v or neg terminals? I'm using a new breakout board from a Korean company making 6 axis boards with heaps or inputs and outputs, relays. I don't remember the name offhand. It it's the 106 model. Beautiful board much like an expanded pmdx 126 with 6axis. It will also fit an Ethernet smoothstepper on board.
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 06:37
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
On the G203v, COMMON is GROUND, so the Step signal pulse is +5vdc. The Direction signal is a steady +5v for one direction and a steady 0v for the other direction. You'll probably find that +2.5vdc to +5vdc works for the +5vdc signal and 0vdc to 0.7vdc works for the 0vdc signal.
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 12:18
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
WOW! 6 axis, with heaps of I/O. Is that using 2 parallel ports or other technology?
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 16:03
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Pmdx-126

The PMDX-126 can control six stepper motors. Two of the PMDX-133 can be daisy chained to handled 6 G203v stepper drivers. This can be done on a single port. I wonder what Mach3 limitations are?
Old Fri 08 November 2013, 07:34
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
How about the heap of I/O point beside the 6 axis? Does LPT port has that many I/O points?
Old Fri 08 November 2013, 07:52
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Pmdx-126

Hmmm!. not exactly sure what you are stating. But PMDX-126 only needs one parallel port, USB or RJ45 (smoothstepper) to handle all these. The requirements for each stepper motor is not all that much. We look at the spindle doing its magic and the other stepper motors directing it to the next position. With all this going on the PC handles all of this without thinking twice. Here is something to look at before you start running start up Task Manager and then start Mach3. Start your next project and then see how much CPU is being used. My guess is not much. Let me know. Thanks
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 04:10
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
According to the pmdx-126 manual you can have up to 16 outputs and 9 inputs with the use of 2 parallel ports or 1 parallel port using expanded mode drivers. How that compares, I don't know. I think the 126 tries to use just about all i/o pins available through the PC port.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read