MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 03 September 2013, 21:18
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
PMDX-134 Plug and Play

I am having issues with the PMDX-134 motherboard. I bought the PMDX-134 to reduce the wiring clutter in the control box. I connected power (46vdc) to the PMDX-134 and the green LED lit up. The instructions tell you now to mount the 4 Gecko G203v to the board and then to connect the stepper motors. I am using KL34H280-45-8A motors in Bipolar Parallel. I used an Ohm meter to verify the four coils 1. Blue-Red 2. Green-Yellow 3. Orange-White 4. black-brown. This matched the diagram on the Tech sheet. The diagram then shows that blue/yellow, red/green, orange/brown, and black/white form the wiring connections. I then wired then as described into the PMDX-134. I searched the site and found Metalhead has the same setup.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3561
So I feel pretty confident that I got it right. But, when I turn on the power to test this setup I do not see the LEDs in the Geckos light up. I do still see the LED on the 134 light up. But I do not have torque hold on the motors. This board is suppose to be Plug-n-Play pardon the Windows jargon. Does any have a clue what might be the issue?
Old Wed 04 September 2013, 01:36
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Missing resistors on the Geckos?
You have to calculate the size resistor you need and then wire it into the gecko terminals 11 and 12
The G203v manual has a list of the motor values and current set resistor values. Use the nearest value resistor that is within 5% tolerance.
See here: http://www.geckodrive.com/support/mo...03v-rev-7.html
Old Wed 04 September 2013, 06:40
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
PMDX-134 Plug n Play

Thanks, That was the issue several days ago, but a trip to Radio Shack took care of it. Do you have Radio Shack there? anyway I took the 134 apart and ran an Ohm meter all over it and everything seemed ok. by the way on the 134 I connected the resistor on the 4 small black terminals. Hope you have another idea.
Old Wed 04 September 2013, 08:51
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Does J6 have a jumper installed? A jumper between J6-Common and J6-G203v will disable the motors. There will be no LED warning indicator to show that the motors are disabled.
Old Fri 06 September 2013, 11:02
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Simple Facts

If you decide to do circuit board checking in order to resolve your a technical issue. Here is a simple rule. If the lights don't come on in your check the fuse. This logic works on my house and it applies to that little green fuse on the Geckos. Don't spend time wondering why the stepper motors are not turning. Don't spend time checking the pin outs on a circuit board that are made in the thousands. Just, !!!! check the fuse !!! and order reorder replacements.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read